Is Medicine Overrated? A new book on Medical Nihilism

<<In Medical Nihilism , published by Oxford University Press, Stegenga presents a devastating critique of medicine. Most treatments, he argues, do not work very well, and many do more harm than good. Therefore we should “have little confidence in medical interventions” and resort to them much more sparingly. This is what Stegenga means by medical nihilism.

Drugs’ harmful effects are underreported. Stegenga accuses the FDA, which has close ties to industry, of setting the bar too low in approving drugs. He quotes a senior FDA epidemiologist complaining that the agency “consistently overrated the benefits of the drugs it approved and rejected, downplayed or ignored the safety problems.”

Research generally under-reports adverse effects. Preliminary “safety” trials almost always go unpublished, as do many later trials that show largely negative effects. Moreover, published studies often provide no data on patients who withdraw from a study because of adverse reactions to a drug. Medications’ harmful effects often come to light only after approval by regulatory agencies. One study found that harms are underestimated by 94 percent in post-approval surveillance.

Drugs recently withdrawn after approval include (these are generic names, Google for brand names) valdecoxib, fenfluramine, gatifloxacin and rofecoxib. Those that remain on the market in spite of increased safety concerns include celecoxib, alendronic acid, risperidone, olanzapine and rosiglitazone.

This last drug, marketed as Avandia for type-two diabetes, increased risk of heart disease and death in early studies. The manufacturer claimed that a new trial showed much lower risks, but the trial excluded subjects most likely to react adversely, according to Stegenga.>>

7 Likes

I cant fake it all the time and my relationship with my mom has turned into a horror film. She entered me into a mental hospital and when I got out I stopped taking the strange meds they gave me. My mom has turned into nurse ratchet and had no sympathy for my condition and thinks I need to take these pills because all that matches her world view. She doesn’t believe me . I don’t wanna take these pills they do nothing and have horrible side affects.

I cant function properly and no one believes me. They act like something I’m doing is wrong or I need to be on medication. It’s really scary and I can see why suicide is a good option.

Almost every treatment that is not surgery or antibiotics are severely overrated, the body is just to complex and our understanding of it is not advanced enough to take everything into account.

Fix one thing, break 2 others.

I’m gonna buy the book.

We are deceived because we got a condition that is almost impossible to treat or evens diagnose with typical medicine.

But I don’t like to be unfair. Medicine gave me the highest chances of survival when I was born, gave me treatments when I was a kid and I was ill every month, gave me vision (well we can discuss if this is medicine).

I’m disappointed of dermatological/cosmetic medicine for approving this. But I have respect for the rest of branches.