IMPORTANT POLL: Scientist questions link to cancer - PLEASE RESPOND

That’s not true. Cancer affects less than 2% of the population in some countries and peaks at about 3.8%.

There is a clear rationale behind this. Cancers share a common denominator which involves methylation and deacetylation. They suspect that similar mechanisms could be involved in our problem. Following articles summarize this common denominator between various cancer types:

I seriously don’t get this. Here we have a group of scientists from an institution specialized on cancer research, which is interested in our problem because they believe that there may be a link between their work and our problem. On the other hand we have people who clearly don’t have the expertise of these scientists and start challenging their opinion. I have a problem with this.

I’m am equally surprised that not even 20% of the people who have viewed this thread responded.

Cancer is a leading cause of death worldwide and accounted for 7.6 million deaths (around 13% of all deaths) in 2008. Deaths from cancer worldwide are projected to continue to rise to over 11 million in 2030. Source: World Health Organization

I don’t mean to give a negative opinion. I encourage anyone reading this to give their details as it only serves our best interests to help these scientists.

Some members may have viewed the thread several times.

The data presented at the American Cancer Society website is radically different than the previously mentioned figures. The ACS states the lifetime risk of developing cancer in the US is 44.29% for males and 37.76% for females. Just a personal observation, if you accept these figures to be true one would expect almost all members to have some history of cancer in their direct lineage.

cancer.org/Cancer/CancerBasics/lifetime-probability-of-developing-or-dying-from-cancer

Hi Awor: great work getting an established scientific organisation interested in PFS. This is the kind of work that may ultimately bring about a change in our situation.

As for me, it’s difficult for me to answer the question. Both my father’s parents lived abroad; I never met them and I don’t know if they ever had cancer.

My mother lost touch with her biological father in childhood. Her mother is still alive, and has never had cancer.

So I think that for the integrity of the data it’s probably best if I don’t answer the poll question.

But please, everyone who can answer, answer. Mew: do you think it is worth sending out an email, to alert less frequent users of the forum to this poll? Awor has got this organisation interested in us: we don’t want them to lose interest because of a lack of data.

Thanks.

(Sorry to see that thread so late, don’t know if it’s still useful to answer, yet…)

Yes, my father had a prostate cancer,detected in the beginning, 5 years ago, and he got cured (using, amid other treatments, propecia in the proper prescription)

My paternal grandfather had a prostate cancer (around age 70)

No one in my direct family had cancer.

although I took SP but it is still 5ARI
no one in my family either from mother’s side or father’s side had any cancer.

No, here.

Hey Claro, how is your dad doing these days? Did the finasteride treatment have any negative effects on him? This is really interesting from a genetics point of view.

Btw, thanks again for coming over to participate in the study, I greatly appreciate it!

My mother had breast cancer (the non-hormone one). I voted yes.

hi Awor, ‘pleasure’ was mine !

As for my dad, he recovered completely (anyway, the butcher-uro who cared for him proceeded to the prostate ablation ; finasteride was prescripbed in the period before).
So now he is fine, 5 or 6 years later.

Guys please update this thread.

No

why?

No, he hasn’t had any direct family members with cancer. That’s what he meant by “no”

Grandfather (paternal), Father, Fathers brother(only brother), first cousin- All have/had prostate cancer.

Grandmothers sister (stomach cancer - good shape - deceased)

Aunt (colon cancer - very obese - deceased)

Aunt (breast cancer - good shape - deceased)

Aunt (breast cancer - great shape - in remission)

Uncle (prostate cancer - good shape - in remission)

Niece (lukemia - good shape - in remission)

*I would like to note that all of these people are from my mothers side of the family. She does not have cancer thank god, but does have severe fibromyalgia. My father does not have any cancer on his side that I can tell, but I recall him having to burn a very small amount of what the dermatologist called cancer from his nose which he attributed to being in the sun too much all his life.

No one in close relation to me has died of cancer in fact my grandparents are still alive in their mid 80s and my great grandmother lived to 97. The only person I know of who died/had cancer was a great uncle who had lukemia*