Implication of decreased expression of Fatty-Acid Desaturases in Accutane-induced bowel diseases

A study of changes in gene expression in skin after 8 weeks of isotretinoin treatment found a several-fold decrease in the levels of mRNA encoding two isoforms of fatty-acid desaturases. FADS1 decreased 4.9 fold and FADS2 by 3.37-fold :

A. M. Nelson, W. Zhao, K. L. Gilliland, A. L. Zaenglein, W. Liu, and D. M. Thiboutot, “Temporal changes in gene expression in the skin of patients treated with isotretinoin provide insight into its mechanism of action,” Dermato-Endocrinology , vol. 1, no. 3, pp. 177–187, May 2009.

Associations between polymorphisms of the FADS genes and disease have been made:

Ž. A et al. , “[Desaturases of fatty acids (FADS) and their physiological and clinical implication].,” Cas Lek Cesk , vol. 155, no. 2, pp. 15–21, 2016.

Associations of some SNP FADS with coronary heart disease, concentrations of plasma lipids, oxidative stress, glucose homeostasis, and inflammatory reaction, were described.

A. Franke et al. , “Meta-Analysis Increases to 71 the Tally of Confirmed Crohn’s Disease Susceptibility Loci,” Nature genetics , vol. 42, no. 12, p. 1118, Dec. 2010.

In addition, genetic knock-out of the FADS2 gene in mice lead to a phenotype with a drastically increased susceptibility to development of intestinal ulceration.

C. K. Stroud et al. , “Disruption of FADS2 gene in mice impairs male reproduction and causes dermal and intestinal ulceration**,” J. Lipid Res. , vol. 50, no. 9, pp. 1870–1880, Sep. 2009.

IMO this is something that was neglected to be addressed in all previous investigation of the link between Accutane and IBS, IBD, and Crohn’s and shows a strong association between the two.

4 Likes

I was just about to DM you about a thought that crossed my mind today with relation to the Nelson paper:

Has it ever crossed your mind that curing our problems is like curing cancer?

Cancer is about mutations, isn’t it?

Aren’t we basically genetically mutated as the Nelson paper shows? That pretty much means we may only slightly better our lives with herbs, but the cure will most definitely not come from them. If there are stories of people who have successfully fought cancer through diet or otherwise or meditation or just God has given them the strength, then God bless their souls, but most of us have a really uphill battle to fight.
The other thing is while cancer affects people at an older age, the competitive world for us younger folk makes us much weaker in having good lives.

Yeah, sort of like curing a specific type of cancer, but not quite. Mutations are practically irreversible, this is obviously reversible on accounts of those who have recovered.

1 Like

There are people out there who have recovered? The only person I know who is seemingly okay took it at 10mg for two months. There was a study published by a Turkish hospital that intermittent low dosage (one week in a month) for two-three months does not produce changes in important hormones like igf etc. Other dosages apart from the very low ones produced significant changes. If you’d like, I can post a link to that study when I get back on my computer.

1 Like

I know of 2 people who consider themselves recovered from sexual side effects and both of them said it happened within the first year.

Other than that, I don’t know of any recovery stories after the first year that aren’t dubious.

Sure. Post that study, I’ll add it to the collection. Was it by Karadag et al?

Ouch. It’s the eighth year for me. I only realized my pathetic state was due to this drug after seven years. Few more herbs to try and then I don’t know where life takes me.

Indeed. Spot on. The effect of different doses of isotretinoin on pituitary hormones. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/25721216

2 Likes

The study found changes even at low doses. To a lesser degree than higher doses, but a change nonetheless.

Oh thanks a lot for actually going through the paper. I admit I didn’t go through it and just reported what was written in the abstract. Just found a link on google (not through the ncbi link) so let me read it now.

1 Like