Impaired neurosteroid synthesis in MS patients

Up-regulation of several silencing miRNAs of neurosteroidogenic enzymes (particularly 5-ar-1) and decreased neurosteroid levels in brains of MS patients are described, along with the link to depression:

F. Noorbakhsh et al. , “Impaired neurosteroid synthesis in multiple sclerosis,” Brain , vol. 134, no. 9, pp. 2703–2721, Sep. 2011.

It’s worth noting that ED and decreased sexual desire appear to be common, but under-reported, symptoms in MS patients. It is difficult to say how much of this is due to decreased neurosteroids and how much it has to do with neurological damage of the disease:

M. Lew-Starowicz and R. Rola, “Sexual dysfunctions and sexual quality of life in men with multiple sclerosis,” J Sex Med , vol. 11, no. 5, pp. 1294–1301, May 2014.

I have a close acquaintance who has MS who describes the emotional blunting and anhedonia that many of us have.

Would this be where sage med would help if that’s a problem ?

Probably, yes. I think there is a good chance SAGE-217 would help both PFS and MS patients to improve symptoms like depression, anxiety, emotional blunting, anhedonia, memory problems, and possibly improve libido.

I also read that MS patients can get genital numbness too. And the lack of communication between brain cells and the body that defines MS seems very similar to what may have happened with PSSD, PFS, and PAS. Good find.

1 Like

6 posts were merged into an existing topic: Low Dose Naltrexone