I think finasteride could be the reason my boyfriend doesn’t feel anything anymore

Welcome to our community. Please fill in the following template as a way of introducing yourself, and helping others to understand your background and situation.

Where are you from (country)? UK

How did you find this forum (Google search – if so, what search terms? Via link from a forum or website – if so, what page? Other?) Google

What is your current age, height, weight?

What specific drug did you use (finasteride, dutasteride, saw palmetto, isotretinoin/Accutane, fluoxetine, sertraline, citalopram, leuprorelin, etc…)?

Finasteride

What dose did you take (eg. 1 mg/day, 1 mg every other day etc.)?

What condition was being treated with the drug?

Hair Loss

For how long did you take the drug (weeks/months/years)?

Date when you started the drug?

Date when you quit the drug?

Age when you quit?

How did you quit (cold turkey or taper off)?

How long into your usage did you notice the onset of side effects?

What side effects did you experience that have yet to resolve since discontinuation?

Check the boxes that apply. You can save your post first, then interactively check/uncheck the boxes by clicking on them. If your symptoms change, please update your list.

Sexual
[x ] Loss of Libido / Sex Drive
[ ] Erectile Dysfunction
[ ] Complete Impotence
[ ] Loss of Morning Erections
[ ] Loss of Spontaneous Erections
[ ] Loss of Nocturnal Erections
[ ] Watery Ejaculate
[ ] Reduced Ejaculate
[ ] Inability or Difficulty to Ejaculate / Orgasm
[ ] Reduced Sperm Count / Motility

Mental
[x ] Emotional Blunting / Emotionally Flat
[ ] Difficulty Focusing / Concentrating
[ ] Confusion
[ ] Memory Loss / Forgetfulness
[ ] Stumbling over Words / Losing Train of Thought
[ ] Slurring of Speech
[ ] Lack of Motivation / Feeling Passive / Complacency
[ ] Extreme Anxiety / Panic Attacks
[ ] Severe Depression / Melancholy
[ ] Suicidal Thoughts

Physical
[ ] Penile Tissue Changes (narrowing, shrinkage, wrinkled)
[ ] Penis curvature / rotation on axis
[ ] Testicular Pain
[ ] Testicular Shrinkage / Loss of Fullness
[ ] Genital numbness / sensitivity decrease
[ ] Weight Gain
[ ] Gynecomastia (male breasts)
[ ] Muscle Wastage
[ ] Muscle Weakness
[ ] Joint Pain
[ ] Dry / Dark Circles under eyes

Misc
[ ] Prostate pain
[ ] Persistent Fatigue / Exhaustion
[ ] Stomach Pains / Digestion Problems
[ ] Constipation / “Poo Pellets”
[ ] Vision - Acuity Decrease / Blurriness
[ ] Tinnitus (ringing or high pitched sound in ears)
[ ] Hearing loss
[ ] Increased hair loss
[ ] Frequent urination
[ ] Lowered body temperature

[ ] Other (please explain)

What (if any) treatments have you undertaken to recover from your side effects since discontinuation of the drug?

If you have pre or post-drug blood tests, what hormonal changes have you encountered since discontinuing the drug (please post your test results in the “Blood Tests” section and link to them in your post)?

Anything not listed in the above questions you’d like to share about your experience?

Tell us your story, in your own words, about your usage and side effects experienced while on/off the drug.

My partner and I were together for 9 years and have lived with each-other for the majority of that time. He was always worried about losing his hair and would constantly ask me to reassure him that it wasn’t falling out. I gave him the validation he needed and would tell him that I would love him regardless of if he had hair!

A few years ago he started taking finasteride medication but when he read about the side effects he stopped using it and I felt relieved that he put his health first. For the past couple of years he has been using a liquid (Not sure of the name) which i’ve always known about because he uses it openly/puts it on before going to bed.

He has not been interested in sex in so long and usually he will always try to initiate it with me. For a while now he said he has no emotions or desire and he just feels nothing. One day i was cleaning the room where he works and i found two pink tablets on the floor. I picked them up and noticed there were two packets of meds on his desk but only two pockets had been opened (both found on the floor)
So i googled the name ‘finasteride’ and realised it was the same thing he has tried years ago. I called him and asked if he was taking them again but he said that he wasn’t, that he has ordered the wrong thing and how could he be when they were on the floor…

Skip to one week later.

We have been arguing more often lately over petty things (washing dishes etc) and then last week he told me he needed ´time to think’. He said he just wants to be on his own and reiterated how he doesn’t feel anything anymore and that he should be happy because he lives in a good area, has a nice flat, dream job and a ‘beautiful gf’ etc but that he doesn’t feel happy. He just feels nothing. I told him i would help him, and be there for him in whatever way he needs but nothing worked. I had got him tickets to see his favourite band that night but he didn’t want to go. That same night he left me and went back to his parents where he has been ever since.

Since he left me, i have tried to work out what i did wrong and then i remembered finding the fin on his desk and I started to question if he was actually taking it. With a quick search on the internet I found other people have had similar relationship experiences when they or their partner has taken fin. I spoke to him on the phone this evening and asked him again to tell me if he was taking it. He said he wasn’t, (note that he has lied to me in the past) and that he had bought it by mistake but that the liquid he uses has finasteride in it - (Does anyone know what this liquid is called!?)

I question if its just me that he doesn’t love anymore but after researching i can’t yhelp but wonder if it’s the fin that has changed his feelings and behaviour.

Please help :frowning:

Hello.

This forum is generally restricted to those who continue to experience persistent side-effects despite quitting finasteride and other pharmaceuticals with a similar profile of persistent side-effects.

It is likely the only advice you will receive is to try to find a way to convince your SO to stop taking the medication. The fact he was lying about it despite being aware of the health effects of finasteride may be a sign that this is an irreconcilable situation. Bringing attention to the fact that some are still suffering
consequences from taking this drug more than a decade ago may provide some motivation for him to quit.

An old acquaintance of mine, who experienced life-altering side effects from saw palmetto and Accutane many years ago, also caught her SO hiding use of finasteride from her, despite him being acutely aware of both the possibility of persistent side-effects, and the dangers of finasteride. There’s just no talking sense into some people.

You are also among several members here to share that their partner went through major negative personality changes on finasteride.

Hopefully you can find some way to get through to him and he is able to cease taking it without any long-term effects.

2 Likes

tell him to get off finasteride and if he wants to regrow his hair SAFELY then google “rob white hair massage” and follow the method everyday

it works better than finasteride and the bonus is his life wont be ruined. and if he denies using it just tell him to never take it even if it doesnt change anything between you

and if you want please donate to our fundraising, the rest of us are stuck in some limbo-esque universe where time passes by and we suffer every second

good luck