I have restarted finasteride and symptoms almost completely gone

So I got sides when I initially started finasteride but the sides got really bad when I stopped.

So I figured I have nothing to lose at this point so I restarted finasteride at 1.25 mg per day last week.

In the past couple of days I have noticed an improvement in symptoms; Libido is back up and erections are more frequent. Additionally brain fog seems to have dissipated.

I still have some issues with insomnia but last night ai actually managed 8 hours of uninterrupted sleep so that’s a good sign.

I wouldn’t consider myself the same as I was before I started but so far things are getting better and I am feeling optimistic. Hell, maybe I’ll even regrow some hair while I’m at it.

I’ll keep you guys updated.

1 Like

Just wanna say that I took it again for a year after having pfs for a few years and it ended up making me a lot worse. Just saying

6 Likes

Was it worse when you took it or only after you stopped?

For me, it’s only when I don’t use it that I get sides.

Back on it I barely have any sides, still some insomnia but the brain fog and sexual sides are gone.

I started with 0.25 mg and only had headaches but once I upped it to 1 mg months later I started getting bad mental sides. Sexually stayed the same though

I actually got a prescription to Finasteride a few years back. Luckily I never took any of those pills I suppose. This was before I was aware of PFS. There was never any mention of side effects by my Dr.

Similar to my Accutane prescription, I questioned what might happen if I took Vitamin a with Accutane
(increased chance of toxicity) and he said my eyes might glow in the dark.

2 Likes

Holly crap I know this has been done before with both positive and negative outcomes, but I can’t think of anything more scary than going back on fin and potentially making myself even worse.

3 Likes

I think I was of the mindset of “how can it get any worse?”

I’m terrified of stopping it again, even tapering off.

Yeah I feel you it’s a pretty difficult state we’re in. I dunno man there’s always the chance sides will creep up again, especially since you had sides on the drug the first time. Could be in a worse situation trying to come off at a later stage, really don’t think staying on fin indefinitely is the answer. Honestly If I were you I’d talk to a doctor whose got some pfs know how and try and develop a tapering off protocol. Just my 2 cents best of luck with whatever you end up doing.

1 Like

Keep us updated

If I may, be very careful, everyone I have met who has taken over has seen their condition improve for a while and then worsen considerably.

2 Likes

Not that I am proposing it, but there was a SP guy, @Gimzim who took it again and may have recovered.

lol. Just realized how stupid this comment was considering a mechanism linking Accutane to night blindness by competition with retinal was found long ago. Goes to show the frivolity.

2 Likes

Yea my post was probably a little bit of a random thought in this thread, but to follow up (I might have said this before) I also went back and told him Accutane caused hair loss all over my entire body and he said its not the Accutane and equated it to allergies. He told me to go see the guy that invented Rogaine in Chicago, and seeing how even that might go on here, could have brought on even more problems. Good thing I never did that either.
But you see what happens even when trying to report or notify your sides to your Dr.

Hey after you are on it for a few months you might want to consider a SUPER LONG taper off, perhaps a 2 year very very slow gradual decline in dosage… Who knows, your body may adjust and not need it anymore to feel “normal”

1 Like

Good luck dude, scary as hell but good luck!

Accutane caused my hair loss, which is why I took Propecia. All bad!

How are things going?

1 Like

@White_Wolf How are things going my dude? Any changes?

1 Like

Looks like he left the forum, things must be going well.

The idea of getting back on these meds is terrifying though…

1 Like

Either that, or he had a theory, and wanted others to try it…I have seen such guys before…Claiming recovery on something they don’t want to try themselves, and wait for others to follow suit…Im sorry, but such a sketchy profile…Registered 28.2. last post 6.03

8 Likes