How researchers of genetics and epigenetics could investigate PSSD

I would like to ask anyone who knows more than me about this difficult subject, concrete examples regarding genetic and epigenetic analyzes that could make sense to conduct for PSSD, starting from the more “simple” and “obvious” ones.

What could be the goal: to find a variation of a gene that we have in common and that favored the adverse reaction.

For example, the “relationship between genetic variants in the CYP2D6 gene and SSRI-associated Sexual Dysfunction” was investigated:

Pharmacogenetics of SSRIs and Sexual Dysfunction (2010) - https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4034069/

Cytochrome P450 2D6 (CYP2D6) is an enzyme that in humans is encoded by the CYP2D6 gene. It is one of the metabolites of SSRIs.

It has been seen that the “poor metabolizers” are more likely to develop sexual dysfunction.

I don’t think this has ever been done for PSSD.

If any of you even know the minimum number of volunteers to be analyzed to look for this possible genetic variation in common, the cost per test, and the timing / complexity of the process, please talk about it.

1 Like

See the topic describing the 23andMe project.

2 Likes