How I Recovered/am Recovering From Propecia/Saw Palmetto

I wanted to share my story as this forum was helpful to me in my recovering/recovery.

I took Saw Palmetto to inhibit my DHT to improve my skin quality, i.e. reduce acne, and oil production. I took 160mg twice daily for 21 days. On the morning of day 22, I had some ED and knew something was off so I quit cold turkey. For two weeks I felt a bit discombobulated but still able to function with daily activities and with moderate difficulty during sex. I took Maca to make up the difference of the loss of libido, but after 15 days of “sobriety” I CRASHED.

My symptoms were just as anyones on this board. The side effects most debilitating for me were extremely low libido, ED, brain fog, depression, and insomnia. Nothing was working as normal, so I prayed my ass off and got to work.

The blood test indicated high SHBG, low free testosterone, and low bio-available testosterone. DHT levels were surprisingly normal and not low. Here is what I did and what I am doing to get my hormones balanced.

Detox:
-Took time off work. My health was more important than work.
-On the day I crashed I had nothing but water and lemon water a couple of times. This stuff needed to get out. It caused my constipation so it was staying in my system longer than most foods.
-The next day I had some kale, sweet potato, and avocado, but mainly water, water, and water.
-The third day I began going to an Inferred Sauna to remove any possible toxins and began the 3 day Suja Cleanse. Toward the end of the cleanse I had a detox laxative tea to keep flushing me out even further.

Workout:
-I did/doing heavy lifting workouts, and sprints to stimulate and increase testosterone. I also sun bathed for about half an hour a few times per week (I’m of dark complexion so I need a bit more) getting DIRECT sunlight on my (cough) to increase testosterone and vitamin D which is an aromatase inhibitor. This one is tough to do without getting arrested, but much easier if you are on a higher story.
-Getting chiropractic adjustments again focusing on my lower back to ensure my spine is in optimal condition to rebalance my hormones
-I am seeing an acupuncturist specializing in hormonal balancing.

Summary:
21 Days on
After 15 days off I crashed
After 4-5 days post crash things were 90% normal (watery ejaculation, and not the strongest erections)
Day 22 off I experienced a second crash but it was nowhere near as bad as the first. Mainly brain fog and insomnia which may or may not be related, but I think it was because the feeling was familiar. Everything else works around 95-98% and I give credit to God, time, and detoxifying.

I currently:
-Workout about 3 times per week, heavy lifting, and sprints (testosterone building focused workouts)
-Go to the Infrared Sauna twice a week
-Go to the accupuncturist one a week
-Have been to the Chiropractor about 3 times but will likely go once a month now
-I take no more supplements except for Fermented Cod Liver Oil.

This whole thing freaked me out. I cannot believe that this stuff is sold over the counter. I am now very health conscious and will not put anything any my body without knowing whats in it.

I highly recommend detoxifying your body. Make sure you flush out your system and start over eating a diet full and rich of aromatase inhibitors, and testosterone increasing foods.

1. Where are you from (country)?
    USA
  2. How did you find this forum (Google search – if so, what search terms? Via link from a forum or website – if so, what page? Other?)
    Google
  3. What is your current age, height, weight?
    28, 5’ 7’’
  4. Do you excercise regularly? If so, what type of excercise?
    Y, heavy lifting and sprints
  5. What type of diet do you eat (vegetarian, meat eater, raw, fast-food/organic healthy)?
    Paleo/Vegan
  6. Why did you take Finasteride (hair loss, BPH, other)?
    Inhibit DHT
  7. For how long did you take Finasteride (weeks/months/years)?
    21 Days
  8. How old were you, and WHEN (date) did you start Finasteride?
  9. How old were you when you quit, and WHEN (date) did you quit?
  10. How did you quit (cold turkey or taper off)?
    cold turkey
  11. What type of Finasteride did you use – Propecia, Proscar, Fincar or other generic?
    Propecia
  12. What dose did you take (eg. 1 mg/day, 1 mg every other day etc.)?
    160mg Twice Daily
  13. How long into your use of Finasteride did you notice the onset of side effects?
    21 Days
  14. What side effects did you experience while on the drug that have yet to resolve since discontinuation?
    Insomnia, brain fog
    Put an X beside all that apply:

Sexual
[X ] Loss of Libido / Sex Drive
[X] Erectile Dysfunction
[X ] Complete Impotence
[X] Loss of Morning Erections
[X] Loss of Spontaneous Erections
[X ] Loss of Nocturnal Erections
[X] Watery Ejaculate
[X] Reduced Ejaculate
[ ] Inability to Ejaculate / Orgasm
[X] Reduced Sperm Count / Motility

Mental
[ ] Emotional Blunting / Emotionally Flat
[X ] Difficulty Focusing / Concentrating
[ X] Confusion
[X ] Memory Loss / Forgetfullness
[X ] Stumbling over Words / Losing Train of Thought
[X ] Slurring of Speech
[X ] Lack of Motivation / Feeling Passive / Complacency
[X ] Extreme Anxiety / Panic Attacks
[X ] Severe Depression / Melancholy
[X ] Suicidal Thoughts

Physical
[X ] Penile Tissue Changes (narrowing, shrinkage, wrinkled)
[X ] Penis curvature / rotation on axis
[ ] Testicular Pain
[X ] Testicular Shrinkage / Loss of Fullness
[X ] Genital numbness / sensitivity decrease
[ ] Weight Gain
[ ] Gynecomastia (male breasts)
[ ] Muscle Wastage
[ ] Muscle Weakness
[ X] Joint Pain
[ ] Dry / Dark Circles under eyes

Misc
[ ] Prostate pain
[ ] Persistent Fatigue / Exhaustion
[ ] Stomach Pains / Digestion Problems
[X ] Constipation / “Poo Pellets”
[X ] Vision - Acuity Decrease / Blurriness
[ ] Increased hair loss
[X ] Frequent urination
[ ] Lowered body temperature

[X ] Other (please explain)
Increased SHBG lowering bio available and available testosterone making estrogen more prominent, so when I crashed I cried about everything.

1. What (if any) treatments have you undertaken to recover from your side effects since discontinuation of the drug?
    Blood Test, Infered Sauna, Acupuncture, Diet, Exercise, currently awaiting appointment with Endocrinologist.

2. If you have pre or post-Finasteride bloodtests, what hormonal changes have you encountered since discontinuing the drug (pls post your test results in the “Blood Tests” section and link to them in your post)?
    DHT 35
    Total Testosterone 627
    Free 43.4
    Bio Available 98.7
    SHBG 70

3. Anything not listed in the above questions you’d like to share about your experience with Finasteride?
    N/A

4. Tell us your story, in your own words, about your Finasteride usage and side effects experienced while on/off the drug.
    Story above

Hi, a few years down the road now. Would you say you have fully recovered from saw palmetto?

2 Likes

Hey man, just wanted to check in if you’re still around. Also, how long were you suffering from symptoms before you recovered? You seem to have bounced back pretty fast so it may have just been natural in your case.