How do i fix extremely dehydrated skin post acctuane?

Ever since i took accutane my skin has been extremely dehydrated to the point that people ask me in real life what has happened to my skin.

Before accutane i had healthy, oily thick skin. Now 2 years post accutane my skin is extremely dull, there is no glow to the skin at all, it’s thin, fragile, extremely sensitive.

If i use any soap or any cleansers whatsoever on my skin, then it’s completely ruined and dehydrated for 1 weeks +. It’s the same with my hair, i can’t use any soap whatsoever.

It’s seems like my moisture barrier has been ruined forever.

I have only been using water on my skin together with a sensitive moisturizer (bulldog sensitive moisturizer) - But frankly, it’s just not enough. I’m only 20 years old and i feel like shit because of this, i have problems even going outside to socialize because all i can think about is how fucked up my skin looks, even though i don’t have acne anymore.

I’m extremely desperate, what can i do to fix my skin?
I have already tried coconut oil, rosehip seed oil, beef tallow. - Oils make my skin even more dehydrated.

Today i started Nopoo, water only regimen. I will completely stop using all grooming/hygiene products and instead only use water in hope of restoring my skin. I have heard that your skin can become used to the moisturizers you are using which means that the skin becomes lazy and stops producing oil when you don’t use the product. So maybe, this will help my skin, even though the transition phase will be hell.

I have also stopped using tobacco (snus), caffeine, artificial sweeteners.

Could this help? or what should i do?, i would appreciate any help.

Pics:
Before accutane
https://imgur.com/a/tfKeYjH

2 years post
https://imgur.com/a/yGbJkgz

Finasteride similarly tanked my skin’s production of oils, especially on my face. I use a common daily wear face lotion with sunscreen to keep a handle on things, but I’ve accepted that things will likely never return to how they were before. Occasionally I consider seeing a dermatologist about it, but I doubt they would have anything to offer but different topical moisturizers.

A few users here have reported having serious reactions to sunscreen, but I haven’t experienced any problems. You might test a smaller area of the skin for 24-48 hours if you are worried about this.

I also use a common hydrating facial cleanser to wash my face, which seems to strip less moisture than plain water. Pre-fin I used an exfoliating wash with salicylic acid, which is definitely not a good idea to use on skin that’s already dry.

2 Likes

My skin is still somewhat oily since Accutane, but my hair/scalp dried out from the time I began taking it and has only gotten worse with age. About 10 years ago it got to the point where shampooing during winter would turn my scalp red and itchy. A few years ago, this devolved into having scabs and flakes all year round when I used shampoo. Even something as mild as baby shampoo does this.

I haven’t been using more than a small amount of lather from glycerine soaps to clean my hair and massaging it in thoroughly. That has done the trick. You also might want to consider switching to glycerine soaps if you’ve been using harsh soaps like Zest or Irish Spring.

1 Like

Which cleanser is it?

The specific cleanser I use currently is CeraVe’s Hydrating Facial Cleanser. I’m sure there’s better stuff out there - I picked this one because the brand is frequently recommended, common, and relatively inexpensive (my local drugstore even carries their own product with the same active ingredients).

1 Like

This may seem simple but put on Cetaphil lotion after showing to retain moisture.

Other hacks that may help I’m not sure. Drink a gallon of water a day with fish oil. Do this for a month. This is what I’m trying to do. Also exfoliate with a product called cure , there is nothing else like it that I know. It’s made by Neutrogena I think. But I myself haven’t really solved this problem.