High cortisol ? no reason ? doctors prescribe antidepressants

so after 5 days of Maprotiline I have a lot of symptoms I have in my story, but keep in mind that I had chronic stress before I take Maprotiline and that is the reason I took it to help the insomnia ( was not a good idea )

I did a blood test :

Cortisol (am) = 623.8 nmol/L normal range ( 171 - 536 ) High
Cortisol (pm) = 562.2 nmol/L normal range ( 64 - 327 ) High
DHEA-S = 208.4 ug/dl normal range ( 211 - 492 ) Low
Progesterone = 0.90 ng/ml normal range ( 0.25 - 0.54 ) High
Vitamin B12 = 2000 pg/ml normal range ( 197 - 771) High

the normal tests

Folate 6.89 ng/ml normal range ( they didn’t put normal range on this one … wtf)
Testosterone = 3.41 ng/ml normal range ( 2.49 - 8.36)
Free Testosterone = 12.2 pg/ml normal range ( 1.0 - 28.28)
E2 (Estradiol) = 29.20 pg/ml normal range ( Men < 50 )
LH = 5.70 mIU/ml normal range ( 1.7 - 8.6)
FSH = 3.43 mIU/ml normal range ( 1.5 - 12.4)
TSH = 3.01 uIU/ml normal range ( 0.27 - 4.2 )

I did another test for dexamethasone suppression test :

Cortisol (am) = 997 nmol/L normal range ( 177 - 580 ) High
Dexamethasone suppression test (1 mg) = 19.3 nmol/L normal range (< 50) Normal

the doctor asked for an mri scan of my brain, I had ct scan before and did mri too they both are normal.
he asked for brain ECG test it is normal too. so he thought I have no problem and prescribed Deanxit a banned medication that contains both Antidepressant and Antipsychotic.

I have seen many gp s, Neurologists, Endocrinologists. they all prescribe SSRI or TCA, they say " you are depressed or stressed but you can’t realize it " but I don’t have depression, anxiety or chronic stress, in fact I have no thought at all, maybe sometimes I feel hopeless after 6 month of suffering from PSSD but it is not that serious and the condition is the reason for hopelessness not the other way around so I refuse to take any antidepressant or antipsychotic.

one neurologist suggested trt, sustanon 250 1 ml once every week but I am not sure if he knows what he is doing.

my questions are :

what is the reason for high cortisol ? how can I find the root cause and treat it ?
can high cortisol to be that severe to cause sexual dysfunction, brain fog and emotional numbness ?

1 Like

No one really knows why. After being high for too long it was go chronically low. that is the cycle of adrenal fatigue.

Your best bet is to focus on lifestyle factors and take rhodoila often. If you go chronically low you will need cortef.

Try ashwagandha

ashwagandha looks interesting, it increases Testosterone and lowers cortisol but might worsen PSSD for unknown reason. some cases had improvement on it. but there must be a reason that cortisol is high, I want to treat the main cause to reverse high cortisol.

that is why I want to find and treat the main cause asap, to prevent further damage to my system.

You need a really good endo to help you solve your issues man. Sounds like Cushings.
You T is low and if SHBG is high then that may explain your symptoms

I think the dexa test is whats used to diagnose cushings. I have similar blood work with high cortisol. dexa came back notmal they said I dont have cushings

How’s your digestive system? I too have had high cortisol & ACTH and it seemed to mess up my digestion pretty bad (chronic constipation).

You’re asking the right question @09eric09 Unless he’s on a supplement, his B12 is through the roof. Had similar issue from gut dysbiosis leading to lot of B12 producing bacteria. He may try probiotic Lactobacillus Plantarum 299V. It’s touted to reduce cortisol and to help with constipation.

1 Like

I have to Low Cortisol …
it is all the hell

1 Like