Help needed from UK - took 14 pills of finasteride 1mg

Welcome to our community. Please fill in the following template as a way of introducing yourself, and helping others to understand your background and situation.

Where are you from (country)?
UK

How did you find this forum (Google search – if so, what search terms? Via link from a forum or website – if so, what page? Other?)
Google

What is your current age, height, weight?
36, 6 ft 1, 154 lb / 70kgs

What specific drug did you use (finasteride, dutasteride, saw palmetto, isotretinoin/Accutane, fluoxetine, sertraline, citalopram, leuprorelin, etc…)?
Finasteride

What dose did you take (eg. 1 mg/day, 1 mg every other day etc.)?
1mg alternate days for around 1 month - Dec 2023 - Jan 2024

What condition was being treated with the drug?
hair loss

For how long did you take the drug (weeks/months/years)?
1 month

Date when you started the drug?
Dec 2023

Date when you quit the drug?
Jan 2024

Age when you quit?

How did you quit (cold turkey or taper off)?
cold turkey

How long into your usage did you notice the onset of side effects?
over half way through, genital numbness and less orgasm pleasure

What side effects did you experience that have yet to resolve since discontinuation?

Check the boxes that apply. You can save your post first, then interactively check/uncheck the boxes by clicking on them. If your symptoms change, please update your list.

Sexual
[ ] Loss of Libido / Sex Drive
[ ] Erectile Dysfunction less feeling so harder to stay hard
[ ] Complete Impotence
[ ] Loss of Morning Erections less but some
[ ] Loss of Spontaneous Erections less but some weak ones
[ ] Loss of Nocturnal Erections
[ ] Watery Ejaculate
[X ] Reduced Ejaculate
[ ] Inability or Difficulty to Ejaculate / Orgasm
[X ] Reduced Sperm Count / Motility

Mental
[X ] Emotional Blunting / Emotionally Flat
[X ] Difficulty Focusing / Concentrating
[X ] Confusion
[X ] Memory Loss / Forgetfulness
[X ] Stumbling over Words / Losing Train of Thought
[ ] Slurring of Speech
[X ] Lack of Motivation / Feeling Passive / Complacency
[X ] Extreme Anxiety / Panic Attacks
[ ] Severe Depression / Melancholy
[X ] Suicidal Thoughts

Physical
[X ] Penile Tissue Changes (narrowing, shrinkage, wrinkled)
[ ] Penis curvature / rotation on axis
[ ] Testicular Pain
[ ] Testicular Shrinkage / Loss of Fullness
[X ] Genital numbness / sensitivity decrease
[ ] Weight Gain
[ ] Gynecomastia (male breasts)
[ ] Muscle Wastage
[ ] Muscle Weakness
[ ] Joint Pain
[ ] Dry / Dark Circles under eyes

Misc
[ ] Prostate pain
[X ] Persistent Fatigue / Exhaustion
[ ] Stomach Pains / Digestion Problems
[ ] Constipation / “Poo Pellets” Seems to be less now
[X ] Vision - Acuity Decrease / Blurriness
[X ] Tinnitus (ringing or high pitched sound in ears)
[ ] Hearing loss
[ ] Increased hair loss
[ ] Frequent urination
[X ] Lowered body temperature

[ ] Other (please explain)
altered fight or flight response - feels like its gone
severe lack of smell, taste
no appetite - no hunger pangs telling my brain i need to eat
brain fog - constant blocked ears that can’t be 'popped’
either no sweating or excessive sweating for no reason
akinetopsia - objects in motion dont move consistently anymore
altered perception of sound - not voices but frequencies. also, my brain “skips” parts of songs, only for half a second or so. when i listen back it’s smooth. **
sensory overload doing daily tasks
dry eyes

dry mouth at some points
regularly spaced out
chronic fatigue

What (if any) treatments have you undertaken to recover from your side effects since discontinuation of the drug?
Some daily supplements - Zinc, B12, Omega 3, Magnesium glycinate, Lavender oil

If you have pre or post-drug blood tests, what hormonal changes have you encountered since discontinuing the drug (please post your test results in the “Blood Tests” section and link to them in your post)?
Ongoing blood tests (not yet hormone panel)- only thing at the moment is high ferritin and ferritin saturation

Anything not listed in the above questions you’d like to share about your experience?

Tell us your story, in your own words, about your usage and side effects experienced while on/off the drug.
**I strongly believe this drug has given me brain damage, I’m still in a state of shock and just trying to relax as much as possible in the hope that it goes away / the symptoms decrease. It’s been 2 months since I stopped taking it and I had the initial ‘crash’ 2 weeks after when it felt like my brain had been crunched and for a week i got no sleep and saw electric bolts when i closed my eyes and jolts in my chest preventing me falling asleep.
Things improved in the following couple of weeks before another ‘crash’ (I cannot pinpoint why) and since then it’s been hard to function.

Thankfully my sleep has returned (though not at the level it was), the twitching, jolting appears to have subsided. I find it hard to do anything, everything feels a chore and needs huge amounts of effort to do basic tasks like brush my teeth. I’m not in pain but it’s like my brain doesn’t comprehend the basic tasks like before.

The mental and physical anhedonia, brain fog / spaced outedness and not being able to do anything are the hardest symptoms currently. It’s like my perception of time and space has changed.

This forum may have literally saved my life as i’ve been trawling through it getting some tips and preparing myself for what’s to come. I’ve been trying to adopt some of the protocols and lifestyle changes but it’s extremely difficult as everyone, and their symptoms, are different, and there are so many intelligent posts that talk about medical and scientific terms i’ve never heard of up till now.

If anyone has improved their situation who has had the mental / neurological sides similar to me then please reach out as I’m desperate to feel more like myself again.
I’m terrified of doing too much with supplements or other drugs i might be given by the GP that make me worse as that’s mentioned a lot in this forum.

I’ve also watched the youtube videos and subscribed so thank you for taking the time to do those and sharing your experiences.

Self-reporting template - ONLY USE FOR FUTURE POSTS TO REPORT ANY TRIALS OF TREATMENTS, NOT YOUR INITIAL MEMBER STORY

1. Name of the therapy/substance:
    • Dosage:
    • How often you took it:
  2. Status
    • Still using [ ]
    • Stopped with no lasting change to initial symptoms [ ]
    • Stopped with persistent change to symptoms [ ]
  3. Duration of use: Days [ ] Months [ ] Years [ ]
  4. Response when you started:
    • Greatly improved [ ]
    • Slightly improved [ ]
    • Stayed the same [ ]
    • Slightly worsened [ ]
    • Greatly worsened [ ]
  5. Current response (if you’re still using the therapy/substance) OR Response in the time before you stopped the treatment
    • Greatly improved [ ]
    • Slightly improved [ ]
    • Stayed the same [ ]
    • Slightly worsened [ ]
    • Greatly worsened [ ]
  6. Lasting changes to initial symptoms after cessation (if you have stopped for more than 3 weeks)
    • Greatly improved [ ]
    • Slightly improved [ ]
    • Stayed the same [ ]
    • Slightly worsened [ ]
    • Greatly worsened [ ]
1 Like

Hello,

Welcome to the forum, I’m very sorry you find yourself here.

You’ve done the right thing by trawling the forum and researching the condition. There is lots of useful informationon here.

.If I was you I’d stay away from any sort of experimentation, inclusive of what seems to be normal eg omega 3, zinc.these are both 5aris and could potentially worsen your situation.

Your body, Endocrine system is trying to rebalance affter the exposure to fin. Give it time to settle, at least another few months. You’ve seen some early positive signs so hold on to that.

Also avoid stress, take things easy and be kind to yourself. Try not to catastrophise the pfs mind set is not conjusive to healing.

Make sure you report all of your sides to the MHRA via the yellow card scheme. This is extremely important and should not be underestimated.

Good luck. The odds are in your favour.

3 Likes

Thank you, its shocking what this drug can do. I’ll take a look at my regime as the zinc is only 15mg and just 1 omega 3 tablet.

It’s a bit overwhelming where to start. Trying to change diets, certain foods work for some whereas others swear against them.
I took some prescribed doxycycline shortly after the crash so I’m praying this killed lots of the shitty bacteria that seems to influence things in our minds.

I’ve got T4, Prolactin, testosterone bloods to do but even If they show something off there’s no comparator bloods pre-fin to show my normal state that can make me feel more ‘normal.’

How the hell do I stop this weird spaced out feeling when outside, its like an out of body experience. Objects move weird in a stuttery way, sounds are more threatening, my stress and anxiety increases.

Also when I look at certain things my brain keeps finding patterns that makes them unhappy or has a sad face.

It’s fuc*ed up , and I’m not taking any other psych drugs to increase this.

Caught in a rock and a hard place, want to try and improve desperately so the sides don’t ‘set’ but scared of doing something wrong that takes longer to recover from

1 Like