Guys, help me out please. (Brazil)

1. Where are you from (country)?
    A: Brazil.

2. How did you find this forum (Google search – if so, what search terms? Via link from a forum or website – if so, what page? Other?)
    A: Internet. Google search: finasteride.

3. What is your current age, height, weight?
    A: I’m currently 31, 1.78 meters tall and 80 kilograms.

4. Do you excercise regularly? If so, what type of excercise?
    A: No, not really. I’ve been jogging lately since I heard it could bring me improvements - 40 minutes every day.

5. What type of diet do you eat (vegetarian, meat eater, raw, fast-food/organic healthy)?
    A: I’m a normal person. I try to eat healthy everyday: lots of vegetables, rice and beans. Like to eat pasta now and then, but not too much.

6. Why did you take Finasteride (hair loss, BPH, other)?
    A: Hair loss.

7. For how long did you take Finasteride (weeks/months/years)?
    A: 5 years and a few months.

8. How old were you, and WHEN (date) did you start Finasteride?
    A: I was 25 when I started taking finasteride. May or June, 2006.

9. How old were you when you quit, and WHEN (date) did you quit?
    A: I was 31 when I stopped taking it. November, 2011.

10. How did you quit (cold turkey or taper off)?
    A: I can’t say for sure. I went on and off several times before I quit finasteride. With the information I had at that time, I didn’t realize that I could be a PFS victim. In the end, I started taking 1mg every 2 or 3 days - so I would say: taper off.

11. What type of Finasteride did you use – Propecia, Proscar, Fincar or other generic?
    A: Generic (in Brazil). Always made by Merck.

12. What dose did you take (eg. 1 mg/day, 1 mg every other day etc.)?
    A: Like I said, in the beginning 1mg/day. In the end, I was taking 1mg every 2 or 3 days.

13. How long into your use of Finasteride did you notice the onset of side effects?
    A: I can’t say for sure. After 1 year I was like zero libido and my penis was insensitive (genital numbness).

14. What side effects did you experience while on the drug that have yet to resolve since discontinuation?

Put an X beside all that apply:

Sexual
[X] Loss of Libido / Sex Drive
[X] Erectile Dysfunction
[ ] Complete Impotence
[X] Loss of Morning Erections
[X] Loss of Spontaneous Erections
[X] Loss of Nocturnal Erections
[ ] Watery Ejaculate
[ ] Reduced Ejaculate
[X] Inability to Ejaculate / Orgasm
[ ] Reduced Sperm Count / Motility

Mental
[X] Emotional Blunting / Emotionally Flat
[X] Difficulty Focusing / Concentrating
[X] Confusion
[ ] Memory Loss / Forgetfullness
[X] Stumbling over Words / Losing Train of Thought
[X] Slurring of Speech
[X] Lack of Motivation / Feeling Passive / Complacency
[ ] Extreme Anxiety / Panic Attacks
[X] Depression / Melancholy

Physical
[ ] Penile Tissue Changes (narrowing, shrinkage, wrinkled)
[ ] Penis curvature / rotation on axis
[ ] Testicular Pain
[ ] Testicular Shrinkage / Loss of Fullness
[X] Genital numbness / sensitivity decrease
[X] Weight Gain
[ ] Gynecomastia (male breasts)
[ ] Muscle Wastage
[ ] Muscle Weakness
[ ] Joint Pain
[X] Dry / Dark Circles under eyes

Misc
[ ] Prostate pain
[X] Persistent Fatigue / Exhaustion
[X] Stomach Pains / Digestion Problems
[ ] Constipation / “Poo Pellets”
[ ] Vision - Acuity Decrease / Blurriness
[ ] Increased hair loss
[ ] Frequent urination
[ ] Lowered body temperature

[X] Other (please explain): My hair loss didn’t “fully” come back after discontinuating the drug.

1. What (if any) treatments have you undertaken to recover from your side effects since discontinuation of the drug?
    A: Nothing.

2. If you have pre or post-Finasteride bloodtests, what hormonal changes have you encountered since discontinuing the drug (pls post your test results in the “Blood Tests” section and link to them in your post)?
    A: Lots of post-finasteride bloodtests, but not a single test before finasteride.

3. Anything not listed in the above questions you’d like to share about your experience with Finasteride?
    A: Some points: I used to have an oily forehead and scalp before finasteride, but not now. Like I said before, I’m losing way less hair than I used to lose - even after 11 months off finasteride. Depression is always deeper after ejaculation - I have to wait 2 or 3 days to recover.

4. Tell us your story, in your own words, about your Finasteride usage and side effects experienced while on/off the drug.

Your story?

I’m sure my story is pretty much like everyone who suffers from PFS. I had a normal life before finasteride: good sex drive, good girlfriend, happiness, etc…
Almost 1 year after start taking this drug, I was a complete sexual zombie: no sex drive at all, complete absence of orgasm in sexual relations, genital insensitivity…
It took me a lot of time to connect the dots and see that finasteride could have been the responsible for these effects. I made a few visits to my dermatologist, that ended up telling me to stop taking the drug for 1-2 week(s). According to her, if the side effects were due to finasteride then they would have to fade away within this time period. Since they didn’t, I ended up going on and off the drug a lot of times.
After 4 years on the drug (going on and off now and then), I was worn out: add to the symptoms listed above a really deep depression.
I decided to quit finasteride on November, 2011 - even not being 100% sure I was a PFS victim.
March, 2012: started taking antidepressants (Lexapro) since it was really unbearable. Bad stomach, strong headaches, brain fogs, always in a bad mood, suicidal thoughts.
I started to get better 1 month ago (9-10 months after quitting finasteride) - after taking tribulus for the first time (2x500mg each day). It was only then that I started to realize the connection between the depression and the ejaculations. I started to see as well that I wasn’t losing hair the way I used to lose before taking finasteride (I’m losing way less hair nowadays). My skin isn’t as oily as it used to be, too.
I decided to run a few bloodtests to see my condition. That’s what I found out:

Bad liver: fatty deposits in the liver (hepatic steatosis);
High cholesterol;
3 Alpha Diol G: 0,59 ng/mL (range 3,4ng/mL - 22,0ng/mL).

You said you were on an off the drug for 4 years, but had sexual sides within the first year. Did your sexual sides fluctuate when you were on and off finasteride, and if so how and to your best recollection to what degree. Thanks

Yes, they did, although I didn’t associated the symptoms nor the fluctuation to the drug at that time (stupid me). As I said, I went back to the dermatologist and asked her about the symptoms and she suggested to stop taking the drug for 1-2 week(s) - since they didn’t disappear in this time frame, I went back on the drug.
I remember that (in one of the times I went off finasteride) I was starting to lose hair again, plus my forehead was becoming oily again - nowadays these things don’t happen. Ironically, that’s exactly why I went back on again.

My worst side effect is depression after an ejaculation. Last week I had sex twice (less than 24 hours interval) and ended up really bad for 3-4 days in a row. I’ve never had a really bad time to get an erection, although it’s not like it was pre-fin.

I’m not sure if I fully answered your question, so here comes more details:

Sexual sides
. Erections: just awesome pre-fin, I could manage to get an erection if I really wanted to on fin, not a big issue anymore after fin.

. Genital numbness: never had this problem pre-fin, “it’s like I don’t feel my penis” on fin and improved a little bit after quitting. However, I’ve got say this symptom fluctuates a lot - it usually improves 5-7 days after an ejaculation and I become a sexual zombie (usually depressed) on the day after an ejaculation.

. Anorgasmic sexual relations: never had this problem pre-fin, but on and post fin sex was like shit. I’m pretty sure this is because of the genital numbness, since I’ve had reaaally good sex in 1 or 2 occasions post fin.

. Testicular pain: on and post fin I have every now and then.

Mental sides
. Depression, brain fog, bad mood - all the sides you guys here are used to.

I hope that this helps. As far as I could read, my symptoms are pretty much like “Joe78” - and this is why I’m going to try the niacin (just saw the niacin thread). I’ve tried Tribulus once and it helped for a while, but is not making too much difference now.

Also’m from Brazil, I sent you a private message

Guys,
It’s been 14 months since I quit fin and I’m starting to realize that I’ll never get better again. It sucks a lot. Depression has been hitting me hard. There’s no way out.

I’ve seen a few docs and was told several times this is a psychological issue. I used to be such a happy person with such a sex drive, ambitious. This sickness took me my happiness and my manhood in a way that I don’t feel like I’m a man anymore. Maybe I’m now half a man - could start a TV show perhaps. Lost everything and I’m hopeless.

I saw some improvements and fluctuations on months 9-12 after stopping the medication, but now it seems it’s pretty much stabilized. I have to admit that I stopped working out and running as I was doing during those months.

Last month I started donating to PFS Foundation. Will keep doing so every month.

I told my current girlfriend that I suffer from PFS - it’s the only way to maintain a relationship with such a low level libido. She’s been amazing and SUPER supportive. I showed her the stories, studies, publications and the PFS web site so that she would believe me.

I’m still suffering to feel connected to people. I used to be a passionate guy, fall in love easily - and this has hit me hard as well. I can’t feel deep emotions nowadays.

Current symptoms:
a. Genital numbness (ridiculous). I can squeeze my penis very hard and don’t feel anything. Impossible to have an orgasm this way.
b. Depression - feeling half a man, feminized. I try to think of better days, before fin, but as the time goes by it gets harder and harder to remember.
c. Testicular pain every now and then.
d. 100% emotionally flat - this is terrible. I feel alone even when I’m surrounded by close friends.
e; Nothing gives me pleasure.

I forgot to say ZERO libido.

go for

FT3, FT4 and RT3. must test T3 and RT3.

Did you present them with papers from Traish, Irwig etc, media articles and lawsuit news to help bolster your case? If not, you have nothing to back up what you’re saying and docs can be dismissive.

Absurd. Your mind cannot cause gyno, or for your genitals to shrink up, go numb, and turn to a very rubbery texture.

If a doctor tells you that it is in your head, then you should just walk out and never go back to them, it is a waste of your money which could have been donated to the pfs foundation.

psychological my ass

No, Mew, I didn’t. But it’s because I don’t want them to think that I have a bias by showing them the studies. They will most likely think that I have some kind of preconception and just want to use finasteride as an excuse for some psychological reason. I do tell them the studies exist, but it’s useless. I’m about to start seeing a therapist, since I do have depression. I’ll show him all the stuff.

I know my mind can’t avoid the pain when I hit my dick with a hammer, but finasteride can. Maybe this is the secret path to psionic power.

Ok, I’m feeling something weird and I thought I had to post. I’m feeling those hot flashes that some of the guys here describe. They started after 2 days of jogging, so I’m taking it as a good sign.

Besides, my libido is going up a little bit, my penis sensitivity is a little better and the orgasms feel more intense… I feel like is “good” to have sex again.

My hair started falling out again at what I call full speed.

Well, all the things listed above have happened to me before - of course they were short-lived. What’s different now is that I can feel the brain penis connection that I lost years ago.

Lets wait a little more to see. I wanted to post a “good day” so that I can remember they existed.

Best wishes.

I proposed thyroid tests. Please go for hashimoto’s test too. check for thyroid ABs.

spstriken, I’ll make a full thyroid test soon, maybe in the next 2 weeks. I’ll keep you posted.

I’m feeling way better today. I’m glad I can feel the brain penis connection that I have lost years ago. Enjoying it a LOT, because I don’t know how long it’s going to last. As in I can masturbate 2 times and still have desire again after a few minutes. I haven’t tested with real sex yet.

The bad thing is that I keep “scanning” myself continuously for libido, as if I was doing a test with myself. So far it’s Ok.

I’m hoping that this feeling came to stay.

Still have:

1. Fat deposits in my chest (feminine area for fat deposit). Seems to be diminishing and it’s going to take some time until I can say for sure.
  2. Eye floaters (white eye floaters, blurry vision). I see them for a while when I look to bright areas.
  3. Anxiety and little bit of depression. Although it’s improving, this one is going to be hard to overcome. PFS has left too many scars on me, but I’m not going to give up easily.
  4. Little bit of muscle wastage. This is easy to fix, just a little workout.

Improving:

1. Hair loss, losing more hair again.
  2. Oily skin (forehead).
  3. More energy.

My feeling is that something changed inside me drastically. I’m just afraid to say this out loud. Superstition thing - and I don’t wanna be the one to break the juju.

Guys,
I don’t even know how to start. I finally think I’m on my way to recovery. Brain penis connection working at full power, libido 90% (almost normal), no ED, good mood, oily forehead and losing hair again. I still feel that I’m not 100% since I get these weird feelings during the day (3 or 4 times) as if I couldn’t feel the BP connection anymore. However, I feel Ok again after 30 seconds. All in all, I feel I’ll be Okay in a matter of 2-3 months - maybe a little more, but if I manage to stabilize at this point it wouldn’t be bad at all.

I’m feeling attached to people again… Depression is gone so far, I’m enjoying things, even food taste better. Apparently, I’m losing fat (chest).

I’ll keep you guys posted, but I think God gave me another chance to live.

I’m trying to endure a little more, give it a little more time before I come back here to tell you how I’m feeling.

I’ll try to keep a safe distance from here for 1-2 months, just to make sure things are really fine.

Good for you! We need good news here. Please do write back and give us an update.

So far so good. Today I woke up with anxiety due to the reason that (believe me) I don’t know myself anymore. With that I mean: I don’t know how I used to be, what feelings I was supposed to have. More than anything, I was afraid of going back to PFS condition again. Lucky me PFS isn’t a psychological issue and things continued to improve. I just have to live life again to remember.

I must say however that, although PFS isn’t psychological, it causes psychological problems when you find yourself without it (fear of going back). But I was strong enough to endure several years with PFS and this is not going to knock me out.

Guys, brain penis connection working normally. I get horny when I look at women again. Hair falling - and I’m going to be really PROUD of being bald.

I’m not going to stop donating to PFS Foundation. I’m with you guys and we’re going to destroy Merck so badly that they will regret everything they did to us.

in all your years with PFS, this is the first time you have had any spikes in libido and sexual function?