Gut Inflammation Induced by Finasteride Withdrawal: Therapeutic Effect of Allopregnanolone in Adult Male Rats. Melcangi, 2022

yeah i dont have my hopes up for any direct Allo drugs

ive talked to members who have increased allo through other drugs including benzos, any benefit was short lived. one of them took legit allo, the same as Sage, sourced from a lab using his doctor credentials.

he had a negative experience which i was skeptical of because of my bias and hopes, but i truly believe him

that being said, there is 2 drugs that ive seen help consistently for neuro symptoms for PFS and SSRI related issues - psilocybin and nsi189

im actually much more interested in all the psilocybin therapies coming out than Sage

Any idea which kind of diet would be beneficial for gut?

well i have tons of digestive problems since ill. but it could be a consequence from HPA or HPTA axis malfunction, dysautonomia, etc, or just another system like many others fucked (the GI tract in this case) by drug injury
anyways, recoveries almost everytime have a diet component, which could be just part of thepicture, the smallest or the bigger. we dont know

Is it possible to buy Allopregnanolone online ?

Iā€™ve been okā€™d by my Dr for Zulresso, which is an allopregnanolone treatment.

As my time is running out (15+ years with this condition) Iā€™m seriously considering taking it. Does anyone have any first hand experience with it, or a connection to Dr. Melcangi, who did the research on this? I realize Iā€™m not a male rat, and my results may vary, but Iā€™ve got to do something other than wait.

1 Like

There was a member here that used it and he said it did nothing if I remember, the more I look into this condition it seems we are suffering from dna damage. I donā€™t even think itā€™s worth looking into, I could be wrong but I just donā€™t think it would help us. If you have the funds to try it by all means go for it but I donā€™t think its a treatment/fix for this condition.

1 Like

I appreciate you all sharing that. My hopes arenā€™t high, but who knows. Maybe itā€™ll do what itā€™s intended to do and help the mental sides.

Itā€™s a lot of money, yes, but I canā€™t continue to let more years go by without doing anything. Iā€™ll share the results, be they good, bad or neutral, after the treatment, which I hope is in February. I did reach out to Melcangi by email, to see if he may have any comments. Until then, I will try to keep hopes high, as I hope we all do.

3 Likes

In my personal opinion Melcangi and the Milano research group jumps from one explanation to the other. From the gut microbiome to the methylated 5ar genes in the brain, from ace 2 auto antibodies to a neuroinflamation. Pfs and pssd victims on SAGE and allopregnanolone treatment. Following the autoantibodies other pfs and pssd victims now starting up immune apharesis, expensive blood wash.

In my personal recognition mice on finasteride and an animal model with mice who developed severe pfs symptoms are two totally different enteties.

I personally think, there are rare money resources from rxisk and pfs foundation spent for topics that are currently popular and like hormones and supplements the false hope for a quick fix rised.

2 Likes

Will they do the 60 hour infusion like in PPD?

I remember that, it was someone who said he was a doctor. But he didnā€™t say how he administered it. For PPD itā€™s a 60 hour long infusion. I doubt he did it like that.

1 Like

It was @silentpain89 he has a post about it

1 Like

He tried Zuranolone (Sage-217). Zulresso is the IV form. Regardless, he stated it had a neutral effect. I donā€™t recall anyone trying Zulresso though (itā€™s ridiculously expensive).

He took the active ingredient only. You canā€™t take only the active ingredient in a drug and expect it to work. It has to be prepared with other ingredients added so that your body can absorb it properly, and therefore you get the desired effect. When you buy a chemical from an online company, itā€™s only the active ingredient, itā€™s not the same as buying pills from a pharmacy, which has additional ingredients in it to make it work. This is probably why it had no effect for him.

He tries to give many inputs for future research.

The allopregnanolone has also the purpose to counteract some problems related to pudendal nerves i suppose.

1 Like

I just noticed that a few days ago a new drug was approved in the US that appears to modulate the GABA-A receptor. It goes by the name of zuranolone or ZURZUVAE and can be taken orally. Not sure if it works exactly like brexanolone or if it increases allopregnanolone levels.
Here is a link to the article
https://investors.biogen.com/news-releases/news-release-details/fda-approves-zurzuvaetm-zuranolone-first-and-only-oral-treatment

Attached is a link where the Zuranolon is described in more detail, but it is in German
https://flexikon.doccheck.com/de/Zuranolon

1 Like

Zurzuvae (zuranolone) is an oral medication thatā€™s similar in nature to brexanolone, an intravenous medication approved by the FDA in 2019 for the treatment of PPD. Both brexanolone and zuranolone are known as positive allosteric modulators of GABA-A receptors, which reside in the benzodiazepine/barbiturate class of medications.

ā€œZuranolone works by modulating a neurotransmitter called GABA-A,ā€

I do think ALLO has the potential to resolve some issues caused by finasteride, since our Gut-Brain-Axis is most likely significantly altered and involved in the symptom severity of the disease.

A small clinical trial could shed some light on it and generate some momentum onto the landscape of non existing treatment options.

This could and probably is a good bet on gathering more scientific evidence and reducing some of our symptoms.
As always, keep in mind, only because one person hasnā€™t seen any significant changes doesnā€™t make it a complete time waiste.

1 Like

I believe Melcangi was going to see if he could secure a trial of zelrusso for a selection of sufferers

3 Likes

Is Zulresso expensive ?

When was this? Recently?

Not sure heard it on the grapevine,ā€¦ Reference to Allo was in an melcangi paper 2 years ago i think.