Gut Bacteria and depression

3 Likes

If someone is low or lacks the bacteria needed to produce serotonin then depression is an expected outcome. Recent research indicates that 90% of body’s total serotonin is made in the gut.

2 Likes

Yeah but why probiotic pills doesen’t fix the problem then ?

1 Like

Because current commercial probiotics are mostly comprising of Lactobacillus & Bifidobacteria species, which only represent about 2.5% of the microbiome @nasa01

2 Likes

I got an improvement in brain fog from eating fermented foods. I continue to eat fermented foods today.

The commercial probiotics are junk. They are expensive junk.

You get far more bacteria in the stuff you can make at home. Don’t overcomplicate. Make some sauerkraut - eat it and drink the juice. Eat a few fork-fulls each day. Tip the chilled juice out into a shot glass. Chug it down like a shot.

Maximum good bacteria. It is cheap and effective.

3 Likes

Gut–Brain Axis in Neuropsychiatry

Key communication pathways of the microbiota–gut–brain axis. There are numerous mechanisms through which the bacterial commensals in our gut can signal to the brain. These include activation of the vagus nerve, production of immune mediators and microbial metabolites (i.e. short-chain fatty acids [SCFAs]), and enteroendocrine cell signalling. Through these routes of communication, the microbiota–gut–brain axis controls central physiological processes, such as neurotransmission, neurogenesis, neuroinflammation and neuroendocrine signalling. Dysregulation of the gut microbiota subsequently leads to alterations in all of these central processes. There have been numerous reports of alterations in the gut microbiota in neuropsychiatric conditions, which may account for the behavioural abnormalities that are characteristic of these conditions. Normalizing the composition of the gut microbiota with use of probiotics and prebiotics may represent a viable treatment option for neuropsychiatric conditions.

keywords
5-HT serotonin, CCK cholecystokinin, GABA Îł-aminobutyric acid, GLP glucagon-like peptide, IL interleukin, PYY peptide YY, TNF tumour necrosis factor

3 Likes

This can go in both directions, I could make some non believers find out the hard way, but obviously I wouldnt recommend that.

I might just eat the cordyceps fungus growing in the school bathroom then.

1 Like

So you say yoghurt and kafir better options than pills?

You sure?

Anyone considering fermented foods and commercial probiotics, beware! Most bacterial strains used are histamine and D-Lactate producers. High histamine causes mast cells activation syndrome whereas high D-Lactate causes D-lactic acidosis. Both of these syndromes may cause immune system activation leading to excess inflammation, MCAS/MCAD, histamine intolerance HIT, brain fog, post workout malaise and increased DOMS, depression, eczema and so on and so forth.