Going to go see Dr. Eugene Shippen this July.

Any questions you guys want me to ask him specifically?

I’ve had some of the worst side effects from finasteride other than ED, which have been:

Insomnia
Depression
Fat Loss
Muscle Loss
Facial fat/muscle loss (Causing nasolabial folds and dark eye shadows)
Muscle twitching
Suicidal thoughts
Random bouts of penile shrinkage, then returning to normal, then back to shrinking…

Just listing this all out to you so some of you can relate to it. What would you ask him?

Mew, no offense, but could we please move this back to the General section where I originally posted it?

I just want to make sure a lot of people are able to see this post, because I plan on posting to this regularly, giving updates, etc… to HOPEFULLY provide a good source of hope to as many people on this board as I can, as well as give many the opportunity to ask some questions that I can relay to the doctor for them since I may be one of the only people on this board to actually go visit him in person. I chose to post this in General just because the traffic seems a little more heavy there.

Update 1 will start tomorrow btw.

Update #1:

So before I get to go see Dr. Shippen in July, I had been told to send a letter to Dr. Shippen’s practice with a down-payment, a description of what things I was currently going through, as well as an empty envelope with my address on it so that it could be sent back to me. This was all sent about a week ago.

So yesterday, I received mail back from Dr. Shippen and was very excited.

The envelope he sent me contained my previously sent empty envelope, as well as a list of instructions and a prescription for Clomiphene.

I’d like to share now with you all what the letter said, but keep in mind, I am NOT a doctor and this is NOT meant to be advice for everyone from me or Dr. Shippen. I’m just letting you all in on details.

The letter with instructions was written as follows:

"[b]The clomiphene test evaluates the pituitary and the testicle functions at the same time helping to identify the source of problem in cases of low testosterone output. Proper treatment may more easily be determined if the problem area is first identified.

Clomiphene blocks hormonal receptors in the brain, fooling the receptors into reacting as through there is no hormone available from the glands. This results normally in a robust release of the signals from the pituitary gland to the testes, called FSH (follicle stimulating hormone) and LH (lutinizing hormone), which signals the testicles to increase production of testosterone. When we want to test for the integrity of this natural feedback loop, clomiphene can ‘rev up the engine’. If there is a problem at one point or another in this loop, it will be clear from the test where the problem is located. Treatment can then be aimed directly at the problem area.

The test takes one week. One-Half (1/2) clomiphene 50mg tablet is taken at bedtime for 7 days. Blood testing is then done on the morning of the eighth day testing for FSH, LH and testosterone output. It is beneficial to have this done before the initial consultation."[/b]

I’m gonna go try and get myself that prescription tonight and see how things go, then get myself tested next week. I’ll keep everyone updated. Please bump this thread or comment to let me know at least someone is reading this xD

So so far, I’ve taken about 2 of the prescribed pills.

I haven’t noticed anything much different about myself, other than the fact that I woke up REALLY tired yesterday morning.

Pill 3 going down tonight. Can’t wait to take the blood test in a couple days.

Still taking the pills.

Starting over my 7 consecutive days though because I drank the other night and missed taking a pill when my buddy came up to visit this weekend, and I don’t want anything possibly skewing the blood tests coming up.

Every night I take those pills though, I wake up feeling like I could still lay in bed and sleep, which is great considering before, I would just kind of wake up and be awake… without feeling like I could go back to sleep.

I’m not saying I think these pills are the cure in themselves, but they’re doing something!

So an update…

today I went in and got the blood tests Dr. Shippen wanted me to get after 7 days of taking Clomiphene… FIVE TUBES worth of blood. Friggin disgusting mates.

I don’t recall everything that he had me get checked (once I get the lab work back, I’ll go over everything I can), but I know he had me checking for stuff like cortisol, LH, testosterone, free test, estrogen… etc. It was a big list.

16 more days till the appointment :smiley:

Edit: sorry, wrong thread.