[German TV] Sex never again? Side effects of anti-depressants

On Thursday, a major German public-service television broadcaster (ZDF) included a TV report about persistent sexual side effects from anti-depressants (“PSSD”) in both a morning show as well as a fairly reputable information show (the latter is typically watched by over 1.5m people).

Both reports included the experience of two patients (one female, one male) as well as statements from a German pharma critic as well as Prof. Healy. The morning show also included a guy who is a doctor and journalist who defended ADs as helpful treatments for depression but who did not deny the existence of persistent side effects. Although the reports focussed on the sexual side effects, they were generally sympathetic and critical of public institutions and pharma companies. They were organised by an association of PSSD patients in Germany.

The reports can be watched here: https://www.zdf.de/politik/frontal-21/nebenwirkungen-von-antidepressiva-100.html and here: https://www.zdf.de/verbraucher/volle-kanne/libidoverlust-durch-antidepressiva-102.html. Please note that they are in German language,

I would love to organise something similar for “PFS” and will contact the responsible people.

6 Likes

I would love to organise something similar for “PFS” and will contact the responsible people.

Sounds like a good idea.

More and more - the extreme, long-term side effects are becoming clear from these drugs. Whether it’s SSRIs, Propecia or Accutane - there is a clear, common syndrome that hits many patients hard. Everyone can see what’s needed: we need to find the root of what’s happening, then we need to find a treatment. But it’s not going to be easy and we urgently need:

• More people to complete the survey - especially Accutaners. Readers, can you help recruit people? It’s a small chunk of your time towards our shared goals.
  • People glad to join the growing number who will appear on our YouTube soon
  • Funds to work on the technical aspects of our website
  • More people to join those who’ve already got a 23AndMe report sent in to Propeciahelp.com

We gotta fix this.

1 Like

I’ll make an account on acne.org and reach out to some people on there. I assume that’s already been done but I’m sure there’ll be a few who missed it.

2 Likes

Thanks @SkinDiesel. The more we can approach people, the better.

1 Like

Here is a version of the TV report with English subtitles.

2 Likes

This is a good candidate for a blog article. I’ll take a run at it in the next couple of days.

2 Likes

Today there was also an article in the Italian Corriere Nazionale on PFS, in Italian:

2 Likes

Full text in English using Google Translate:

Post-finasteride syndrome: patient association is born

27 September 2019 by CorNaz

Post-finasteride syndrome: in Italy an association of patients. It is called the Finasteride Victims Association and collaborates internationally with the Post-Finasteride Syndrome Foundation (USA)

Post-finasteride syndrome: in Italy a patient association. It is called the Finasteride Victims Association and collaborates internationally with the Post-Finasteride Syndrome Foundation (USA)

With almost 16 thousand reports of adverse events , 61 confirmed suicides in the world and 16 countries (including Italy) that added to the information leaflet of the drug finasteride the reports related to the so - called post-finasteride syndrome (PFS) , we start talking more and more about this particular pathology. The researchers that deal with it are few, just as there are few studies about it. Patient associations, therefore, can do a great deal to increase awareness of PFS and make people - doctors and others - aware of this problem, of which little is known. In Italy, the reference organization is the Finasteride Victims Association , based in Treviso, while the American Post-Finasteride Syndrome Foundation is very active internationally.

As explained on the website of the US foundation, the post-finasteride syndrome (PFS), which in the USA was officially included in the rare disease databases of the Genetic and Rare Diseases Information Center (GARD) and of the National Organization for Rare Disorders (NORD), is characterized by serious side effects that may persist for a long time after stopping a treatment based on finasteride, an inhibitor of the enzyme 5-alpha reductase type II used to treat hair loss (Propecia®, finasteride 1 mg ) or enlarged prostate (Proscar®, finasteride 5 mg). These adverse events include sexual, neurological, physical and psychological problems : for example libido loss, erectile dysfunction, depression, suicidal impulses, anxiety, panic attacks, Peyronie’s disease, penile narrowing, chronic testicular pain, gynecomastia, muscle atrophy , cognitive impairment and insomnia. The drug in question is available as tablets for oral use and is only available on prescription . Since there is a difference in price, the less expensive 5mg format, intended for the treatment of prostatic hypertrophy, is also sold, even to patients with androgenic alopecia. In this case, therefore, the patient finds himself having to manually divide each tablet into 5 parts, a procedure that does not guarantee a correct intake of the drug.

“After about a year and a half from the moment I found symptoms attributable to PFS, I turned to a law firm in Treviso,” says the President of the Finasteride Victims Association (AVF) . "I explained my situation to him and, since I was already in contact with other boys with the same problems, their advice was to found a real association. In this way we could be stronger, both from the point of view of communication, but also to guarantee the legal assistance of the members or to form a group to lend ourselves to interviews and research: thus, in 2017, the AVF was born ”. The association has about forty members, from 20 to 40 years, all affected by the side effects, even serious, related to the use of finasteride. In these cases, we talk about a real post-finasteride syndrome when these side effects become chronic, persisting for months and years after stopping the drug treatment .

The problems around which this disease revolves are delicate: the physical symptoms (from those related to the sexual sphere to fatigue) and the psychological ones (depression, anxiety, psychosis, etc.) mean that patients, especially the younger ones, do not they are able to talk about it with simplicity, especially if from the medical point of view they lack the knowledge of the pathology and, even worse, the real understanding of what it entails.

“We would like more attention from the clinical world ,” the President of AVF continues. "We are visited by andrologists and endocrinologists, but after routine analyzes - which do not show any alterations - they send us to the psychologist: many patients with PFS are not recognized as such . The important thing would be the official recognition of this syndrome , which could also give an additional boost to research. Although awareness and research are still lacking, something is starting to move, thanks to the numerous reports of persistent finasteride-related side effects that reach pharmacovigilance agencies around the world. For example, the illustrative leaflets of the drugs containing the active ingredient have changed a lot compared to 10 years ago: today, a series of symptoms classified as persistent has been added ".

“For those patients who have already taken finasteride, and developed PFS, it is important to realize that unfortunately, at present, there are no known effective therapies ,” emphasizes Philip Roberts, Patient Manager at the PFS Foundation . "However, in the last 7 years we have come a long way in terms of medical research. No one knows how long it will take to develop valid therapies for the disease, but we hope this happens within the next 2-5 years. In the meantime, of course, we need funding to continue to sponsor research projects: for this reason, we invite everyone to donate to research. For those men who have never taken finasteride, but are considering the use of the drug - concludes Philip Roberts - our advice is not to take it for any reason: its many potential dangers far outweigh the probable benefits ".

1 Like

Thanks @sibelio. More ammo for the machine gun.

Are you unearthing stories by running a search daily?

1 Like

Do you think it would be possible to group finasteride with Accutane? I think the general public can easily see the connection between the two since acne is associated with puberty/sex hormones and baldness is as well. That way women and children would be represented rather than only balding middle aged white males who were trying to make themselves look younger. Accutane sufferers are women and children who lost their sexuality before they even had a chance. We have to be conscious of public perception and what society is sympathetic to in addition to the technical considerations we tend to focus on ourselves. And I think Accutane sufferers are more helpless since they are younger and don’t have as much means to advocate for themselves.

1 Like