Functional Brain Imaging Alterations in Acne Patients Treated With Isotretinoin

I maybe feel like some studies are being waited on for PFS that might already exist with Accutane. There are alot of studies on Accutane. This is one of them.
This highlights dopamine receptors.
I see this was brought up in 2013.

Isotretinoin has a variety of effects on brain neurochemical systems (6971). Retinoids modulate gene expression in the brain in a broad spectrum and have effects on several neurochemical systems, including the dopamine system, which has been hypothesized to play a role in dysregulation of mood and emotion (70). High levels of the enzyme involved in retinoid synthesis, aldehyde dehydrogenase, are found in mesostriatal and mesolimbic dopamine pathways (72, 73). Dopamine mesocortical pathways involve release of dopamine transmitter in the orbitofrontal cortex and other parts of the prefrontal cortex. Isotretinoin may influence these pathways. Administration of retinoids causes changes in dopamine receptors (74), while genetic mutations of retinoid receptors are associated with deficits in dopamine receptors as well as mesolimbic dopamine functioning (75). Retinoids are associated with an inhibition of neurogenesis in the hippocampus (76), a brain area with connections to prefrontal cortical areas, including the orbitofrontal cortex. Inhibition of neurogenesis in the hippocampus has been hypothesized to play a role in depression (7780). Retinoids also have effects on brain trophic factors (81). These findings have led to the hypothesis that retinoids play a role in the development of psychiatric disorders (69, 82).

3 Likes

I have read many of the articles cited in your post. Isotretinoin can knock out both 5-alpha-reductase as well as 3-alpha-HSD-both enzymes are needed for neurosteroid synthesis. Knocking out these enzymes means the brain does not have the neurosteroids it needs for memory and cognitive functioning.