For muscular dystrophy sufferers, can you tolerate azithromycin/other antibiotics? I have to make a tough decision

Turns out I have considerable peridontal bone loss, like there’s a gaping hole in my jaw and I will either need to have a bone graft done that may or may not work in hopes to prevent losing another tooth. I already can only eat with the left side of my mouth, this tooth is on the left side. Or I could ignore it and develop recurring, maybe dangerous infections and lose the tooth all the same.

I’ll need to take antibiotics for the procedure and I was offered azithromycin as a post-operative option.

I ask because I recently made a thread about amoxicillin for a gum abscess related to the above. Moonman1 said it was fine for him but it brought back my muscle symptoms as well as made a recently developed issue of aspiration dysphagia worse. It’s the worst, most horrific thing I’ve ever experienced since getting PFS and I have been suffering from that for almost 4 months now.

I believe at least two others with PFS had a dramatic negative outcome from taking amoxicillin too.

I did a search for azithromycin and only found reports of temporary ED and lowered libido or heightened libido.

I did make similar threads but I hope this one is different enough so that it can stay up on its own.

What am I supposed to do? Just roll the dice and pray? It’s not like I can cross reference my epigenome with an assay of which antibiotics would have a favorable effect on gene expression for me. Not gonna lie, this shit is scary and I have no clue what to do.

2 Likes

I looked up azithromycin and amoxicillin in case they were fluoroquinolones. They don’t seem to be, but just in case anyone is considering them, the black box warning about tendon issues is legit. I got tendonitus and peripheral neuropathy for over a year from just 4 pills of ciprofloxacin. Some people become wheelchair bound for life.

One day I may need to take another antibiotic and I won’t know which to ask for, so I’ll be watching this thread closely. I wish you the best and hope you find something that doesn’t make things any worse.

1 Like