Finasteride and dry eye

1. Finasteride induced dry eye in rats

Singh S, Moksha L, Sharma N, Titiyal JS, Biswas NR, Velpandian T. Development and evaluation of animal models for sex steroid deficient dry eye. J Pharmacol Toxicol Methods. 2014;70(1):29–34. doi:10.1016/j.vascn.2014.03.004

2. Finasteride-induced dry eye in female rats results from inflammation of lacrimal glands

Li K, Zhang C, Yang Z, Wang Y, Si H. Evaluation of a novel dry eye model induced by oral administration of finasteride. Mol Med Rep. 2017;16(6):8763–8770. doi:10.3892/mmr.2017.7754

3. Study explores androgens as key factor in Sjögren’s Syndrome, and androgens as a potential treatment

Sullivan DA, Wickham LA, Rocha EM, et al. Androgens and dry eye in Sjögren’s syndrome. Ann N Y Acad Sci. 1999;876:312–324. doi:10.1111/j.1749-6632.1999.tb07656.x

4 Likes

extremely interesting! thanks for sharing this

very important exert from the first paper
“subjecting 60days post ovariectomy rats to finasteride challenge did not show any further decrease in tear flow. Gene expression analysis also revealed a significant downregulation of sex steroid receptors in ocular tissues after ovariectomy and finasteride challenge.”

Seems the rats AR was actually downregulated

1 Like

https://journals.lww.com/jcrs/FullText/2011/07000/Finasteride_associated_cataract_and_intraoperative.26.aspx

2 Likes

I downloaded the first article as a whole.

This is really interesting.

• In finasteride treated male rats, a significant downregulation of ERa, ERb and AR gene expressions in the cornea was observed as 92.22%, 98.20% and 94.50% respectively as compared to the control. In the case of the lacrimal gland, the significant percentage decrease of ERa, ERb and AR gene expressions was found to be 99.20%, 82.33% and 68.49% respectively as compared to the control.

That’s some hefty downregulation…

But it tells us nothing about what happens after the drug is withdrawn, sadly.

2 Likes

I have developed Blepharitis now for months one of the laest changes from this…

This is very interesting. I have terrible vision currently. My left is worse than my right. My left also does not appear to produce tears/moisture anymore. The right one at least develops a little. Using eye drops in the interim. Thankfully, no negative reactions.

2 Likes