Finasteride and benzo withdrawal question

Hello,

I had benzo withdrawal from 2012 till 2018, It was very brutal.
But it went away.

Benzo’s does hit the gaba a receptors like alcohol.

My question is,does finasteride hit the gaba a receptors to like benzo’s? Or does it the opposide and help it heal?
(finasteride gaba a agonist?)
->
" Neurosteroids like 3α-androstanediol (derived from DHT) and allopregnanolone (derived from progesterone) activate the GABA A receptor in the brain; because finasteride prevents the formation of neurosteroids, it functions as a neurosteroidogenesis inhibitor and may contribute to a reduction of GABA A activity.
"

Sorry I’m confused. English is not my nr1 language.

Hi I cannot answer your question but I’m also in this predicament. Years after having PFS I took clonazepam for about 3 years. Weaned myself off this summer but since then I’ve had crazy ocd symptoms and music constantly in my head all day on repeat. Don’t know what to do since we can’t take an ssri which is usually a treatment for that

Finasteride does the opposite, it lowers allopregnenlone. Allopreg works by activating GABA-a receptors. In fact, I believe it is the main nuerosteroid to activate it to recover from stressors.

GABA is reduced in fin. But the body may try to upregulate GABA receptors while on the drug in response.

1 Like

Thanks guys, I really apriciate this.