Favorite Song/Music Convo

I continue to attempt educating our young readers on artists who were mostly famous in the 60s-70s. Broaden your horizons, so to speak.

Today we listen to Shawn Phillips . He first recorded in 1964 but his strongest Era was 1969-1980. He is a male vocalist with incredible vocal range. He wrote nearly all his recorded output. He is still recording in his 80’s! Rock impresario Bill Graham described him as “the best kept secret in the music business”.

The following song is emblematic of his style. I suggest the albums “Faces” or “Collaboration” as good starts if you choose to dip your toe into his ocean of tunes. Jim

L Ballade

2 Likes

The song above and this following one are both from his album Faces, released in 1972. I added this song for its evocative lyrics and demonstration of his vocals.

Landscape

2 Likes

A band named White Witch made a splash around 1970 but petered out by 1975 or so. They had 2 albums with a variety of music styles.
White Witch formed in 1971 in Tampa. The band originally featured lead singer Ronald “Ronn” (or “Ron”) Goedert, guitarist Charles “Buddy” Richardson, keyboardist Hardin “Buddy” Pendergrass, drummer Robert “Bobby” Shea and bassist Loyall “Beau” Fisher.
I present two tunes to demonstrate their versatility:

It’s so nice to be Stoned

Moneybags

1 Like

I’d like some guidance from a mod, maybe @Greek can help.

This conversation is not getting many replies, maybe all the previous posters here have moved on to Reddit.

I appreciate the space to discuss music, but I’m concerned this will be seen as a one-man ego ride. Do administrators have a problem with my continuing this thread?

I have a few appreciative readers (thanks @Scotsman and @Taw), but would like an official thumb up/down on continued posts.

Thank you, Jim

1 Like

Hey Jim I’ll participate. Not long after I crashed I put together some videos of guitar stuff I recorded and photos I took for posterity. I suppose I’ve presented my PFS self here as much as I’m going to as it is a dead end of a life. But there was a person with a story before that and music was a big part of it.

This is a tune I wrote in college in the late 80s. I was trying to compose something that was all turnarounds without resolution. I actually wrote two songs like that but this was the only one that I recorded as a multitrack. I played the other with a band and maybe I’ll post that later.

The photo is flying a hop from Denver to some ski area, can’t remember which. I took lots of wing out the window pics back then.

2 Likes

Keep on sharing Jim.

Here’s one I like that I think of every now and again and I thought of it today.

You’re probably familiar with Dolly Parton’s Jolene.
But you might not have heard it slowed down. I think I prefer it!

What’s amazing is that slow speed really exposes everything and the track still stands up.

Hope you like it.

2 Likes

Thanks for that tune, @mstone !
Sounds very professional, you should make more if you have time! I’d like to hear more!

Also, I had never heard that 33rpm take on Jolene, @Greek ! Vocals sound like a tenor male and even at that slower speed it all comes together. I also like it better than the faster paced hit. (Wonder how many other songs can be played at ¾ speed and sound better? Recall the two versions of Revolution by the Beatles?) Thanks for allowing me this coping mechanism. Jim

2 Likes

Two posts back , @Greek introduced a slowed version of Jolene.

That had me thinking of other tunes recorded both fast and slow. My favorite country singer was Johnny Cash, and back in 1970 his TV show had a guest performance by Ray Charles.

Ray performs one of Johnny’s hits, Ring of Fire slow, almost bluesy. What a showman Ray was, his legs a swinging. Here’s his slow version of the song:

Ring of fire slow

For comparison, here is Johnny’s version live, 7 years earlier in 1963, and much faster:

3 Likes

Back in 1973 (remember those days, guys?), I came across an album titled Rainbow Rider by “Brothers.” It was their only album, and it was pure luck I came upon it.

The following song is one that may soothe your nerves after a bad day, “Mighty Ocean”

Mighty Ocean

Another good song is the title track, “Rainbow Rider.” What do you think of the Brothers?

Rainbow Rider

1 Like

Today’s music is in memorium of Eric Carmen. (August 11, 1949 – March 2024) Frontman for the Raspberries group, he was also known for some solo hits, as well.

The song I’ve selected is All by Myself, in the long version including a piano solo which was cut from the radio version.

Interesting fact:

The piano solo borrows from Rachmaninov’s 2nd Concerto, which Carmen thought was public domain. It wasn’t, it was still under copyright, so after the song was released, he got a thick envelope from the Rachmaninov family’s lawyer informing him that he could choose between paying them royalties or defending a lawsuit for copyright infringement.

Happily, his lawyer got together with the Rachmaninov family’s lawyer, and they worked out a royalty deal that allowed him to also use the slow movement from the 2nd Symphony for “Never Fall in Love Again”.

Lyrics (which remind me painfully of my pre-PFS life):

When I was young
I never needed anyone
And making love was just for fun
Those days are gone
Livin’ alone
I think of all the friends I’ve known
When I dial the telephone
Nobody’s home
All by myself
Don’t wanna be
All by myself anymore
Hard to be sure
Sometimes I feel so insecure
And love’s so distant and obscure
Remains the cure
All by myself
Don’t wanna be all by myself anymore
All by myself, I don’t wanna live
When I was young
I never needed anyone
And making love was just for fun
Those days are gone
All by myself
Ohh… ohhhh
All by myself, don’t wanna live
Ehh, eh eh… ehhhh
Don’t wanna live by myself, by myself anymore…

All by Myself

1 Like

I say it is high-time some lyric-less music was introduced, don’t you think? Lyrics get dull when repeated often enough.

From a video game I used to play growing up:

1:20-1:45 The best part!

I kick myself (figuratively) for all the lyrics I made up on the spot only to neglect writing them down and forgetting them, a bad habit I need to break.

2 Likes

Another great song Jim. And yet again I’d not heard of the performer. That was a great version with some lovely piano. A very nice way to remember him by.

1 Like

@Scotsman I was mildly surprised that you hadn’t heard of Eric Carmen or the Raspberries. I then realized the song was 50+ years old, maybe predating you by a decade or two! Boy, did I feel old!

But, everyone knows the classic movie Dirty Dancing, which features the Carmen hit Hungry Eyes. The song was recorded at Beachwood Studios in Beachwood, Ohio in 1987. “Hungry Eyes” peaked at No. 4 on the Billboard Hot 100.

Remember this?

Hungry Eyes

1 Like

Well, I have not long turned 51 so it’s probably more my actually on this earth ignorance than you being particularly old as such. And talking of ignorance, I may have only seen Dirty Dancing the once, despite it being beloved by millions, so Hungry Eyes is another blind spot on my own musical odyssey. I nominate you as the head of the forum’s music department, Professor Jim of all the Wildmen.

1 Like

I humbly accept the nomination and await the vote of the musical masses.

You may not know I have a famous book available, titled “King James Version, Holy Bible!” Jim. :grinning:

1 Like

@Taw et al,
I must admit that as I near the age of 70 that I have never played a video game such as that. My experience has included Space Invaders, Pacman, and the ground breaking video game “Pong.”

That said I would never have guessed that a video game would have music such as that. I wonder if it is original music to the game or if it is old classical music repurposed. Can you answer that? Jim

1 Like

I would like to know what musical instruments are used to make the sound at 1:20-1:45 referenced in my post above. Not an expert, but I’m sure it is not a guitar, flute, or maraca. Any ideas?

As far as I know, the theme is exclusive to the game. 3DO sold the rights then the new owners went bankrupt, so I cannot inquire to anyone.

Game-play footage of the specific level for those possibly interested:

Back when we had cartoon graphics. I say the realistic graphics of todays video games encourage violence more than the cartoon graphics. I refuse to play the modern games. Pac-Man on the Super Nintendo for the win!

1 Like

Yes, research shows:

Composed by Barry Blum, Kevin Manthei, Robyn Mendheim, Brian Min and Brian Withycombe
Music © 3DO 2000
All rights to their respective owners

Sounds like horns, but unsure of which. The tail end of this section is organ, leading into that drum beat.

Good instrumentals! Jim

1 Like

@Taw
Info on composer Barry Blum. Others listed above can be similarly found.

1 Like

I can discern the organs and (French?) horns, now that you pointed it out at least. I shall echo @Scotsman uncontested endorsement of thee as the musical arts director.

2 Likes