Falling asleep in the afternoons

Hi guys,
I’ve started getting really tired in the afternoon after meals. I rarely fall asleep due to the insomnia problems but this is now starting to happen daily and lasts for a couple of hours. Diabetes is a potential cause but this has been ruled out on my many visits to the GP for other symptoms. My advice would be to do some physical exercise to counter this! Another sign in trapped in an old man’s body!!! Any views/advice on this side?

1 Like

Yes, I have the same. I remember this was mentioned before, it happens with PFS.

Is it possibly a sign that your body is just tired from months of not getting enough sleep?

i actually was able to fix this during PFS

get a homocysteine and b12 & b6 test

you could just get a homocysteine test alone if you want because regardless of your b12 and b6 levels, if the homocysteine is up and out of range, it means you are deficient in vitamin b12 or b6.

and if you b vitamins are in great range and homocysteine is low, it means that you have a malabsorbtion problem, so it required that nuance understanding.

if the b vitamins are low and homocysteine is up, then its evident what the problem is.

safest thing after that is hydroxocobalamine b12 INJECTIONS.

thats right, if your homocysteine is up, get the injections. you will also need to take folate. if you cant tolerate the methylated ones like many people with PFS get the folic acid i suppose even though its not the best quality form.

but make sure your doctor knows what hes doing when prescribing the b12, dont take cyano or methylcobalamine. only take the hydroxocobalamine injection if thats what the issue is.

my afternoon drowsiness got severe my first month on the injections. that first month i was passing out without being able to put up any resistance. then one day i magically stopped passing out in the afternoon. never had to take a big nap since

2 Likes

Thanks for the advice lake house ill make an appointment. Greek I wish it was down to the lack of sleep but like all of the symptoms it unfortunately not related to what would appear the answer or reason. In fact I had a period of time when I was getting no sleep whatsoever and never felt tired. This is another symptom of long-term disregulation. The list of symptoms just keeps growing which is really tiring me out and effecting my appetite to carry on

3 Likes

Sure, I had a period where I got either no sleep or very little at all. What I’m wondering is if this need to nap might be your body starting to reach a point where it really, really needs to sleep.

I assume you’re still not getting much sleep when I say that, so apologies if that symptom has resolved. If you still have trouble sleeping, I’d personally take any non-drug influenced sleep as a positive and say that perhaps you’re on a journey for that problem to get better.

In fact, I remember when I was getting very little sleep that I would fall asleep on the sofa in the evenings and but despite being tired then wouldn’t feel the same at bedtime.

I can always get to sleep now, rarely for less than 4 hours and often for more than 6, I can always get back to sleep after I wake up too.

Perhaps you’re on that path now.

1 Like

But Folic is B9. Did you require him to test B9 or B6 levels?

2 Likes

Nice one Greek another one of the guys suggested a number of weeks ago that it may be a positive rather than another hormonal related symptom. I’ll hang on to that hope and prey im getting into better territory. Might still get the bloods checked as going to go about the ice cold limbs, numbness, pins and needles anyway. But cheers again

1 Like

youre right, its b9.

i took folate, which is the methylated version and had no issues. i know some people here take methyl b vitamins and it ruins them so be cautious

i want to clarify a couple things:

i meant to say b9. i took methylfolate, but people have adverse reactions here from it so be careful. take folic acid instead.

another correction on this statement:

“and if you b vitamins are in great range and homocysteine is low, it means that you have a malabsorbtion problem, so it required that nuance understanding.”

^^ If your homocysteine is LOW, it means you are clear and good to go.

I meant that if the b vitamins are in good range and the homocysteine is STILL HIGH and out of range.

high homocysteine = bad regardless of b vitamin levels. it means your b12 and b9 arent getting into the system either from not eating right or malabsorbtion.

also, my injection cycle was 1 ML hydroxocobalamine injection every 3 days, self administered. make sure your doctor knows this, because its critical to get the timing right if you are in fact deficient.

you have to front load the dose every 3 days to get your cell systems to start recovering.

good luck buddy, keep us updated.

1 Like

Cheers lake house b vits have burned me in the past like everything else! Ie short lived improvement followed by a visit from hell!

1 Like

To be honest I was using a multi b and may need to be more targeted but will see what bloods throw up first and will be very cautious! Cheers for the advice guys really appreciated and it goes without out saying I’ll keep you posted

1 Like

dont take the methylated forms, youll get screwed over for sure then

but if your homocysteine is high, then a good reason for your afternoon drowsiness is what im telling you.

as for your risk taking on the hydroxo injections, thats up to you

1 Like