Evidence for a microbial endocrinology-based mechanism of action responsible for fluoxetine-induced side effects

Understand this possibility could go in many directions.

Fluoxetine-induced alteration of murine gut microbial community structure: evidence for a microbial endocrinology-based mechanism of action responsible for fluoxetine-induced side effects

We report that the most widely used antidepressant, fluoxetine, which is an SSRI-type drug, results in the selective depletion of gut microbiota, specifically the Lactobacilli which are involved in the regulation of body weight. Concomitantly, fluoxetine administration increases the abundance of phylotypes related to dysbiosis. Since Lactobacilli have been previously shown to possess a known biogenic amine transporter that regulates the uptake of fluoxetine, it is proposed that a microbial endocrinology-based mechanistic pathway is responsible for the ability of SSRIs to selectively negatively impact beneficial microbiota. The results of this study therefore suggest that the negative clinical side effects due to fluoxetine administration may be due to alterations in gut microbiota. Further, the data also suggests that supplementation of bacterial genera directly affected by fluoxetine administration may prove useful in ameliorating some of the well-known side effects of chronic fluoxetine administration such as weight alterations.

3 Likes

Switching gears here a little, similar thoughts could hold true with environmental drug or xenobiotic exposure, whether topical or oral. The body is lined with bacteria inside and out, whats been referred to as “protective gatekeepers” in some studies.

FEBRUARY 4, 2020

Wasps’ gut microbes help them—and their offspring—survive pesticides

seful in ameliorating some of the well-known side effects of chronic fluoxetine administration such as weight alterations.

Wonder if that’s why my weight went from 160lbs to 300lbs after stopping finasteride??

I use fluoxetine, are you thinking about taking fluoxetine?

It doesn’t make your PAS worse? I’m pretty bad off depression wise and have been thinking of trying low dose AD as nothing else has been helping with that @Calcified

@Lostinaustin I use fluoxetine for its anti inflammatory effects, I haven’t been taking it long but I happy with results so far. It has reduced my folliculitis.

My weight is stable and I don’t think it’s altering my gut bacteria in a bad way. On antibiotics my weight skyrockets so, I don’t know what the study is implying, studies and info seems so contradictory at times.

yeah antibiotics kill off the good bacteria “our microbiome” and we all have to avoid taking them unless we know that X antibiotic is proper for Y bacteria.