Elevated Creatine Kinase

I was looking back at my blood work I did a while back and found out each time I did a test to check CK it came back over range every time my doctors said it’s nothing to worry about but I believe this is what’s causing excruciating muscle pain I’ve been having. Here’s my blood tests down below.

CK (CPK)

Your value

178 unit/L

Standard range

55 - 170 unit/L

Flag

H

CK (CPK)

Your value

175 unit/L

Standard range

55 - 170 unit/L

Flag

H

Yeah mine was upper range after crash, it proves the active muscle wastage if im not wrong

Its been shown to rise on accutane.

1 Like

This seems to be mentioned often by members on this site.

Some related discussion:

1 Like

Accutane, finestride, anabolic steroids and runners. Seem to cause high levels.

Mine are always near rock bottom low now, so dubya u may be same.

But I have not tested during my toxic retinol consumption. So definitely will get this next time. Am expecting this to have gone up a little.

I guess what may be important is a middle range for health, not too high, not too low.

1 Like

What is important is that its used as an indicator of muscle damage/wastage. Have you noticed either of these symptoms?

It is often said that Accutane and physical exertion don’t mix. …Many teenagers saying they had to give up sports during their course.

PPl just chill 178 is totally normal…If you did a fast walk and measured it you would get higher results…Its nothing. Really.

Is CPK level something that rises and falls rapidly and drastically with time after exercise?
Why bother with reference ranges if they don’t reflect usual fluctuations.

OP mentioned slightly elevated level and muscle pains, but not that he was involved in any physical activity. Elevated CPK has also been statistically correlated with Accutane and finsateride use.

Agreed that slightly high levels should not be cause for panic since this is supposed to be a sign of muscle breakdown, but not a cause of it. Hopefully there isn’t a misconception about that for anyone.

Actually it is…If you went to the gym and took a blood sample right away. Yes it would be high and i have seen results up untill 2000 after physical exercise, which is completely normal.
Why bother with blood pressure reference ranges if it rises while simply walking? Or why bother with Testosteron reference ranges if it fluctuates during day…Its simply becuz, you have to define when and how to take the blood sample for it to be meaningful. Would my potassium measurement in blood be high if i take a supplement containing it, ofcourse it would. BUT that doesn’t reflect that i have a problem with my kidneys etc…

Now wehster Fin raises CK, i dont know, i havent done my research on that but that wouldnt surprise me at all, but i would never base any medical aussumption that something with the OP is wrong just becuz his CK 3 points higher without controlling it more than once and making sure, he didnt make any excercise or muscular effort before taking the measurement.

1 Like

I do remember losing muscle on both and after it was a struggle to put on muscle, fat no problems, on retinol I suspect and guess it can be anabolic and catabolic. Depending on retinol and hormonal status of course due to testosterone implications.