Dutasteride Broke me

I started out a few years ago taking Saw Palmetto to stop hair loss. in the end, i ended up moving to Finasteride, which gave me a huge scalp itch. one i never felt before. but i kept going for 3 months with no change, so i stopped taking them and the itch went away. then i was convinced to jump onto Dutasteride and the itch returned. i was convinced to ride it out for as long as possible to see whether the itch went away and it didn’t. so i stopped taking it, but this time, the itch did not go away.

its been about a year now and I’m constantly trying to mend whatever is wrong. trying to figure out what the correlation is with this scalp itch thats always in the areas i am losing hair. and while most would say its DHT. I get this itch from using face creams, i get this itch from using Shampoos, i get this itch from eating citris foods, alcohol and certain other foods i am still trying to figure out why i am getting this itch thats clearly also speeding up my hair loss.

I have tried many different shampoos and i have only found one that calms it down a little bit, and thats Nioxin 2. the others just made my scalp tingle all night, including sensitive hair shampoos, which might actually be worse than the regular ones. and i have only found one face cream that gives less of a reaction than the others.

I currently am taking collagen, quercetin, probiotics, vitamin C, and a couple of other things to try and mend my gut, but i ain’t sure if its doing anything. but then it might take months if its doing anything at all. i dunno how it works, or if it works at all.

I have even gone as far as going gluten-free, even though i don’t think its helping much. i have even cut back on milk-based products and even histamine boosting products. which leaves me with a frustrating time finding food to eat. but this is how bad its got.

The doctor has reluctantly given me Topical steroids, probably to shut me up and i used it for one day… and it drove my scalp crazy for a few days after. so i never used it again. it clearly was making it worse.

I have had theories that its DHT related, but i do not feel like it gets worse after say masturbation or anything, so i don’t have any evidence for that. i also have suspected it might be allergies related, histamines or whatever. but again its tough to know for sure. and another option is some autoimmune issue. i have also wondered whether my hormones are just messed up and low testosterone might upregulate my body creating issues.

Basically i went in trying to stop hair loss. i always took good care of my skin and basically Dutasteride has left me in a position where i lose more hair by using shampoos and face creams, which makes no sense to me but this seems to be the case now

Consider yourself lucky

2 Likes

This is an antiandrogen. People who have been negatively effected here should avoid these, lest they dramatically worsen their symptoms.

Forget about your hair. You cannot save it with these treatments without risking your entire life.

3 Likes

No i am in a situation where these treatments make it worse. i can’t take antiandrogen at all now. not even small doses or certain foods that might have even the most tiny of antiastrogen qualities. these things really don’t go down well with my body anymore. it used to be fine. but now my body is just a confused mess.

It doesn’t seem healthy. i don’t even know for sure its even DHT related. when i have to be careful what i come into contact with like shampoos and face creams. contact dermatitis maybe? whatever it is, i imagine its not normal.

And i did not know quercetin was an antiandrogen. i just heard it was good for inflammation and allergies. i guess i should stop taking it :confused:

1 Like

Is the itch seriously your only symptom after using fin and dutasteride?

1 Like

Mostly yeah. but i also get joint pain sometimes. and when i get joint pain, the scalp itch goes away. which makes me think its immune system connected. my immune system might be overactive now. never used to be before i tried Dutasteride though.

Now i feel like i have an autoimmune disorder.

I guess your lucky in that case… I gained a whole slew of symptoms after using fin 5 times.

I’ve had itchy scalp before I used fin. What helped for me was doing light therapy in the hospital/dermatology. It got rid of the itchy scalp after about 10 sessions.

You could look into it.

1 Like

I hear alot of people say they had an itch before starting Fin or Duta. i never had it before starting those. and now im stuck with it. but i don’t think its the same itch that alot of people had before they started them. because nothing corolates for me. i ain’t too sure if its even DHT related. my scalp is so sensitive to diet and anything that touches my skin thats not just warm water. and when its not sensitive to these things its because i have inflammation in my arms or legs somewhere ect ect.

What did you have done in the hospisal/dermatology? although at this time with the whole corona distancing going on, i probably wouldn’t be able to do it.

I had itchy scalp and an itch over my body sometimes as well. They treated me with light therapy for about 10 sessions, then I got cured. It never came back.

Consider yourself lucky that you only have an itch!

I guess i may have to see a dermatology at some point. if its possible at this time to see one.