Dutasteride, as bad as it is, may be quite a bit safer than finasteride in the long-term

I know it’s technically a stronger drug, but due to it’s extremely long half-life (5 weeks) vs finasteride’s (8 hours) the body theoretically is far more able to acclimate to it leaving. The vast majority of post-5ARI sufferers on here are from using fin, and most of them had a crash. I’m aware that there are Dut sufferers here as well, and I’m not trying to minimize their problems, but from what I’ve read I have yet to come across any that have had a full-blown endocrine crash. The Dut sufferers seem to have come off the drug, slowly improved, but never returned to where they were before. Of the stories I’ve seen on here, the people who never had a crash seem to have the best chance of having any sort of sustained recovery. Again, I’m NOT minimizing their problems - it’s an awful condition whether you had a crash or not. Of course, if there are any exceptions out there, then please let me know and I’ll have this corrected.

If our goal is to ultimately ban finasteride, maybe a pragmatic approach would be convincing the ignorant people who still prescribe finasteride to replace it with dutasteride in the interim. I know it’s not ideal - ultimately all 5ARI’s should be gone for good - but the perfect is the enemy of the good. And it may be easier to convince regulatory agencies to ban finasteride if dutasteride were seen as a safer (in the long-term if not the short-term) alternative for male-pattern baldness. And if fin was banned, even if dut wasn’t, I’d imagine that could open pandora’s box to successful litigation against Merck and other fin manufacturers.

And then there’s the fact that people are generally more intimidated by dutasteride than fin, so the odds of someone going on it, and the odds of physicians prescribing it for baldness, would probably be noticeably less.

Thoughts?

The truth is that there is less people that have used dutasteride in this forum simply because it is less sold than finasteride, especially among young people.

One of the members of the forum who committed suicide took dutasteride and had terrible side effects.

1 Like

Which member was it? I’ll look into what they experienced and see if I made a mistake.

The thing is that it might already be too late once DHT drops and AR is being overexpressed. According to the Di Loreto study, AR was still being overexpressed years later in PFS patients. Perhaps the longer half life might make the difference between rapid or gradual onset of symptoms but the overall effect is more severe due to inhibiting both forms …or you could be right.

Well I was not sure to disclose the name but Dubya gave the right answer.

I read a letter written by his father, who mentioned he’d had a fin prescription. Maybe it was someone else?

Sorry, my mistake. I’ve deleted that part if my post lest someone starts spreading this misinformation.

Randy Santmann said he worsened significantly after using dutasteride

2 Likes

Hell no all 5ARI should be banned for good, I crashed from a fucking shampoo what are the chances of that? It’s never worth it with these drugs, I hear that BS about how Dut protects against neurosteroids which clearly isn’t true it’s all poison!!!

2 Likes