Dr. David Healy offers theory linking PSSD, PFS, PAS

4 Likes

Healy is a great guy he’s been interviewed many times and has stated a number of times how damaging these drugs are one thing that stands out for me in this article is the view is the statement that these changes are not permanent

2 Likes

Yes I’ve recently become interested in IV NAD for its brain restoration success in cases of addiction, SSRI withdrawal, and opiate withdrawal.

1 Like

It wouldn’t surprise me if he’s onto something. He is one smart guy. I really, really like the guy.

Does anyone know of any way to contact him?

1 Like

Yes. I’ll msg it.

1 Like

It’s a shame like for us no one is paying any attention to what he’s saying.

1 Like

Last time I checked he’s somewhere in Canada these days.

1 Like

Yes. He has powerful ideas, takes action, and he is on our side.

1 Like

I’ve got him on FB and he regularly posts stuff

1 Like

His website rxisk.org is quite a good read also. He is quite prolific on there.

1 Like

Genital anesthesia, loss of libido, and sexual dysfunction are features of this syndrome.

So are anhedonia, genital atrophy, muscle atrophy, frequent urination, gum recession, etc, etc. The above is quite a reductive summation of PFS. Other key features of PFS are the crash and susceptibility to worsening of symptoms after further disruption to androgen signalling. Dr Healy hasn’t explained how his proposed hypothesis could drive any of these.

PFS sufferers have focused on evidence for androgen insensitivity.

This is patently false. Baylor’s findings, and our group’s literature review, focused on overexpression of the AR, not androgen insensitivity. I’m not sure how this was allowed to be published.

Bioelectric circuits can maintain long-term and stable changes of state after relatively brief alterations of Vmem, and we have previously suggested bioelectric state to be a target of SSRIs and other psychoactive drugs in the context of developmental defects.102 Such alterations can plausibly affect neural (and non-neural) responses such as could be important for human sexual function, either directly on somatic cells or through indirect effects acting through the microbiome, immune system, or brain.

This hypothesis only seems to focus on a very narrow slither of the sexual dysfunction reported by PSSD, PFS and PAS patients, and ignores other neurological and physical symptoms. It’s looking specifically at the lowered sensitivity reported, and doesn’t even address how other sexual dysfunction such as a loss of nocturnal, spontaneous or morning erections could be explained by bioelectric dysfunction.

As we’ve pointed out again recently, we should be skeptical of any hypotheses that don’t offer an explanation for all of the symptoms being reported by PFS, PSSD and PAS patients, and other key features of the diseases. We can’t just toss dozens of symptoms and other features in the bin because they don’t suit our hypothesis. It’s urgently important that further scientific investigation is connected to the clinical specifics and appropriately addresses all of the symptoms reported and other key features of the disease.

5 Likes