Downregulation of proinflammatory cytokines can inhibit HPA axis function

This is something I posted on SSRI’s maybe a couple weeks ago. This is why I like this website. I forgot where I put this and all I had to do was search the terms SSRI and HPA.

Anyways, this is possibly what SSRIs can do. Downregulation of proinflammatory cytokines that in turn inhibits HPA axis function. Im sure some are familiar enough with this to know what HPA functions can do.

You’d be looking at a type of immune suppression. To swing this back to a gut-HPA axis, you’d actually maybe be looking at microbes capable of a pro-inflammatory response.
I’ll probably get back to some of this.

Gut Microbiota and the Neuroendocrine System

“Various disorders of the microbiota–gut–brain axis are associated with dysregulation of the HPA axis”

Unravelling the precise mechanisms that underlie the multidirectional communication between gut microbiota and neuroendocrine system could lead to new therapeutic possibilities for disorders of the neuroendocrine system through controlled manipulation of the gut microbiota.

Pulled from my notes,
-Rapid short term changes,
SSRI treatment during adulthood alters gene expression levels of hypothalamic hormones, neurotrophic factors, inflammatory factors and components of non-serotonergic neurotransmitter systems.34, 35, 36 Especially the inflammatory factors might have a central role in mediating the effects of SSRIs, because downregulation of proinflammatory cytokines can inhibit HPA axis function (facilitating stress reduction), enhance 5-HT and dopamine synthesis and inhibit 5-HT and dopamine reuptake-

1 Like

The lack of success with most probiotics could be due to their mostly anti-inflammatory profile and are
mainly inhibitory on HPA axis activity.

Maybe HPA dysregulation could be the crash.

Rapid Action of Retinoic Acid on the Hypothalamic Pituitary Adrenal Axis