Does there seem to be any relationship between the length of time someone takes Finasteride and how long it takes to recover (in those who do)?

I was wondering if any trends have been observed in how long it takes someone to recover from the drug in those who do. I ask because I took Fin for 4 years which seems longer than most people on this sub. I worry that my chances of recovery are very slim without some sort of treatment coming along. It’s been about 3.5 years that I’ve had PFS, since quitting.

I’d like to know this as well. I only took Fin for 1 month. Been suffering for about 8 months now.

From a 2017 study:

" Among men 16–42 years old and exposed to finasteride ≤1.25 mg/day, 34 of 4,284 (0.8%) developed PED (persistence median 1,534 days, IQR 651–2,351 days); the multivariable model predicting PED had one variable: duration of 5α-RI exposure. Of 103 young men with new ED, 34 (33%) had new PED. Young men with >205 days of finasteride exposure had 4.9-fold higher risk of PED (NNH 108.2, p < 0.004) than men with shorter exposure."

It only says persistent erectile dysfunction is more prominent in users who used the drug for more than 205 days but the recovery rate seems to be anywhere between 2 to 7 years.

I believe so though not everyone is in agreement. I’m aware of a few who took it for a relatively short period of time and recovered at 3 months. I took it on and off for close to 2 decades. Been off it now for 2 years and still deteriating. If I’d known the cause and stopped after months or even a few years Im confident I’d be in a much much better position

As Wintermoon pointed out 5ari use duration is proportional to PFS recovery times. As with everything in the post drug syndrome world there always exists exceptions. some only took the pills for a couple of weeks and have been suffering for years

1 Like

What does the standard trend look like?

recovery generally fits into a unimodal bell curve with the mean recovery time being ~4 years after discontinuation. low chances of illness persisting more than a decade.

hey, whats your basis for this? is there research supporting it?

1 Like

PFS foundation survey I believe

I don’t believe that study ever claims that men ‘recover.’

Ya I speculate much of the research just ends or has loss to follow up before the cases resolve (or don’t). I’m nearly 4 years deep and although some things have improved, my sexual sides have remained as trash as the onset.

1 Like

Yes I probably misinterpreted their wording. I honestly found it hard to decipher what it DID say though.

Where do you get the idea that people “recover”? As far as I know, there aren’t any recovery stories where there’s good reason to believe the person had PFS and stayed recovered long term.

There’s definitely been people who have recovered after long periods of time. I think some of those stories are corroborated here.

1 Like

Maybe they had PFS and maybe they had something else such as adrenal fatigue, stress, any number of other things that resolved. Anyway, the number of recovery stories here is abysmal and the mentality should be of accepting that we have an incurable disease that will only become curable after we mobilize ourselves to promote research. Until we do that, no amount of amateur theorizing, taking herbs, looking at random drugs we heard increase libido on Wikipedia, and bitching about drug companies will ever get us anything but wrinkles and lives wasted. Nor will doing things like deluding ourselves into thinking that if we just sit and wait X years, because we took the drug for Y years, we will self-cure for no actual reason whatsoever.