Do confirm that what I have assumed is like Finasteride or worse?

“We have previously reported that the increase in c-Jun expression induced by quercetin inhibited androgen receptor (AR) transactivation, and Sp1 was involved in quercetin-mediated downregulation of AR activity. Transient transfection assays in this work revealed that co-expression of c-Jun quenched Sp1-induced production of luciferase activity driven by AR promoter or three copies of Sp1 binding elements in the AR promoter. Moreover, c-Jun repressed AR-mediated luciferase activity via androgen-response elements (AREs) of the hK2 gene, while this suppression could be restored partially by cotransfection of Sp1 expression plasmid. The physical associations of c-Jun, Sp1, and AR induced by quercetin were further demonstrated by co-immunoprecipitation experiments. In addition, quercetin-mediated repression of AR expression and activity was partially reversed by blocking of JNK signaling pathway. These results suggested that c-Jun might play an important role in the suppression of AR expression and activity in the presence of quercetin, and association of a c-Jun/Sp1/AR protein complex induced by quercetin represented a novel mechanism that was involved in down-regulation of the AR function in prostate cancer cells.” Suppression of the androgen receptor function by quercetin through protein-protein interactions of Sp1, c-Jun, and the androgen receptor in human prostate cancer cells. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20148354

“The androgen receptor (AR) is involved in the development and progression of prostate cancer. In order to find new compounds that may present novel mechanisms to attenuate the function of AR, we investigated the effect of a natural flavonoid chemical, quercetin, on androgen action in an androgen-responsive LNCaP prostate cancer cell line. Western blot analysis showed that AR protein expression was inhibited by quercetin in a dose-dependent manner. To demonstrate that the repression effects on AR expression can actually reduce its function, we found that quercetin inhibited the secretion of the prostate-specific, androgen-regulated tumor markers, PSA and hK2. The mRNA levels of androgen-regulated genes such as PSA, NKX3.1 as well as ornithine decarboxylase (ODC) were down-regulated by quercetin. Transient transfections further showed that quercetin inhibited AR-mediated PSA expression at the transcription level. Finally, it was demonstrated that quercetin could repress the expression of the AR gene at the transcription level. Our result suggests that quercetin can attenuate the function of AR by repressing its expression and has the potential to become a chemopreventive and/or chemotherapeutic agent for prostate cancer.” Quercetin inhibits the expression and function of the androgen receptor in LNCaP prostate cancer cells. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/11238180

Confirm that what I have assumed is like Finasteride or worse?

It would be helpful if you could summarise what you’ve found out so it’s easier to discuss your findings rather than just posting the quotes.

1 Like

Read only the text in bold

“quercetin inhibited androgen receptor (AR) transactivation, and Sp1 was involved in quercetin-mediated downregulation of AR activity.”

“Western blot analysis showed that AR protein expression was inhibited by quercetin in a dose-dependent manner.”

Ok, apologies but can you explain what that means for us?

That the androgens have been inhibited?

“Resveratrol, quercetin and morin were the only nutrients that significantly inhibited AR mRNA expression. (…) All polyphenols studied showed important antiproliferative effects and induced apoptosis when added to LNCaP cells culture. We confirm that resveratrol, morin and quercetin may achieve such effect through reduced expression of AR.” https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/24726691

mRNA is a type of RNA that encodes and carries information during transcription from DNA to protein synthesis sites, to be submitted for translation! https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Messenger_RNA fuck! The alterations in the AR gene cause androgen insensitivity syndrome: the absence of the type and extent of such alterations, the clinical picture may be more or less compromised. In fact, complete and insensitive to androgens will have. Maybe shit is worse than finasteride! I know they are also used together https://www.researchgate.net/figure/Effects-of-quercetin-finasteride-and-finasteride-plus-quercetin-on-prostate-gland_fig1_8534487

@Axolotl what do you think about it?

Hi @Demon,

I personally think these searches in absence of a contextual or scientific understanding of the topics are not helpful and will only serve to confuse you at the moment. Doing so was not productive for me until I had spent a long time, full time, pursuing a structured self-education on the topics involved through university resources and courses.

In terms of something “worse”, I know you are suffering physical effects that are far more severe than most members have or understand. What’s at the moment termed PFS is not exclusive to Finasteride and is by its nature a widely variable condition; this is supported by the many years of cases and both the proven and theoretical science surrounding the issue. @awor wrote the following ten years ago:

not all individuals are affected in the same way or to the same degree. Some get only weak side effects such as mild ED or depression, while others get a very broad range of serious side effects, which include strong muscle wasting, life threatening depression, metabolic syndrome, osteopenia/osteoporosis, destruction of penile structure and complete loss of all sexual function. There appears to be a broad range between those end-points

Regarding quercetin, I am aware of this but I fail to see the relevance to your case as I can’t see a clearly laid out timeline including what you were taking. In my personal opinion what would be most useful is for you to set out in your member story topic (or make one if you haven’t got one already) precisely what you took and over what time frame your symptoms emerged, also including the results of lab tests/scans you’ve undertaken without interspersing theoretical ideas in the same post so there is a clear record. Secondly, taking the comprehensive survey when it is ready soon will be of great help to the issue.

Thirdly, if you are able I would urge you to try and distract yourself however possible and focus on self care. Try to minimise the time spent thinking about the changes to your body. I am very, very aware of the difficulty of doing this, but please try to be brave and keep hope. I read a quote from a US civil rights lawyer - not the same context, but I think true of any struggle: Hopelessness is the enemy of justice.

9 Likes