Different Story, Same Symptoms

1. How did you find this forum? Hair loss forums

2. What is your current age, height, weight? 26, 6’2", 165

3. Do you excercise regularly? If so, what type of excercise? Weights 1x week, run 2-3x week

4. What type of diet do you eat (vegetarian, meat eater, raw, fast-food/organic healthy)? Meat eater, though try to eat healthy and stay away from deep-fried foods

5. Why did you take Finasteride (hair loss, BPH, other)? Hair loss

6. For how long did you take Finasteride (weeks/months/years)? 9 days

7. How old were you when you started Finasteride? 26

8. How old were you when you quit? 26

9. How did you quit (cold turkey or taper off)? Cold turkey

10. What type of Finasteride did you use – Propecia, Proscar, Fincar or other generic? Saw Palmetto (will explain)

11. What dose did you take (eg. 1 mg/day, 1 mg every other day etc.)? 320mg daily

12. How long into your use of Finasteride did you notice the onset of side effects? [b]2-3 days

[/b]13) What side effects did you experience while on the drug that have yet to resolve since discontinuation?

Put an X beside all that apply:

Sexual
[ x] Loss of Libido / Sex Drive
[ x] Erectile Dysfunction
[ ] Complete Impotence
[ x] Loss of Morning Erections
[ x] Loss of Spontaneous Erections
[ x] Loss of Nocturnal Erections
[ ] Watery Ejaculate
[x] Reduced Ejaculate
[ ] Inability to Ejaculate / Orgasm
[ ] Reduced Sperm Count / Motility

Mental
[x ] Emotional Blunting / Emotionally Flat
[x] Difficulty Focusing / Concentrating
[x ] Confusion
[x ] Memory Loss / Forgetfullness
[x ] Stumbling over Words / Losing Train of Thought
[ ] Slurring of Speech
[x ] Lack of Motivation / Feeling Passive / Complacency
[x ] Extreme Anxiety / Panic Attacks
[x ] Depression / Melancholy

Physical
[x ] Penile Tissue Changes (narrowing, shrinkage, wrinkled)
[x ] Penis curvature / rotation on axis
[x ] Testicular Pain
[x ] Testicular Shrinkage / Loss of Fullness
[x ] Genital numbness / sensitivity decrease
[ ] Weight Gain
[ ] Gynecomastia (male breasts)
[x ] Muscle Wastage
[x ] Muscle Weakness
[x ] Joint Pain
[x ] Dry / Dark Circles under eyes

Misc
[x ] Prostate pain
[x ] Persistent Fatigue / Exhaustion
[ ] Stomach Pains / Digestion Problems
[x ] Constipation / “Poo Pellets”
[x ] Vision - Acuity Decrease / Blurriness
[x ] Increased hair loss
[ ] Frequent urination
[x ] Lowered body temperature

[x ] Other (please explain) Having trouble sleeping

1. What (if any) treatments have you undertaken to recover from your side effects since discontinuation of the drug? None

2. If you have pre or post-Finasteride bloodtests, what hormonal changes have you encountered since discontinuing the drug (pls post your test results in the “Blood Tests” section and link to them in your post)?

3. Anything not listed in the above questions you’d like to share about your experience with Finasteride?

4. Tell us your story, in your own words, about your Finasteride usage and side effects experienced while on/off the drug.

Hey guys… let me start out by saying that I am not nor was a Propecia user. I noticed some hair loss after a stressful time in my life and started looking for remedies. I had a script for Propecia but wanted a second option from another derm. However, I took 320mg of Saw Palmetto extract for 9 days (of which I really regret) before I was going to fill that script after a trichologist recommended that over Fin (stupid me felt it was safer than Fin since it’s not as effective, or so I thought). I don’t think I’ll ever be filling out that prescription considering what I’m going through at the moment. I only took SP too hold me over before deciding to take Propecia or something else for my hair loss. I had no idea that an herbal remedy has caused me this much damage in such little time.

I noticed problems from day 2 when I had pain in my left testicle. I should’ve stopped from right there (but the damage might’ve already been done). This continued for a week and I felt it was best to stop taking it. The pain went away but now 6 days after taking SP I’m suffering from ED, no morning/random erections, having problems sleeping, zero libido, and all the other Fin-like symptoms checked above. Naturally, I’m freaking out about this. I took my last SP pill on 2/3/08. I can get an erection if I try really hard but it’s difficult to maintain and semen is watery. There’s a pain in my groin that gets worse when sitting down and I have problems concentrating/focusing which doesn’t help since I’m in grad school part time. I’ve lost motivation for a lot of things and am in a weird state of depression. I’m scared to death and even though I never touched Propecia it sounds like I’m having the same DHT-related symptoms.

The most depressing part is that I was on Paxil for 6 years which decimated my libido and I discontinued that in June. I pretty much made a full recovery and now just months later I’ve potentially, permanently destroyed it. Again, I know this is for Propecia users but I’m sure you can sympathize with my current condition.[/b]

I know a guy from a different forum that was taking soya isoflavons 50 mg per day and he also has the same permanent sides that we have. That’s why I am not especialy suprised that it might happen…

majkellos - Do I have any chance for recovery???

I doubt that the force of action might be that strong to do any permanent damage in case of a Saw Palmetto or Isoflavons. I rather suggest you to staying healthy and going to the gym to suppot your body system in recovery.

I went to the gym last night and was able to sleep soundly for the first time since this whole fiasco. Like the deep sleep I used to have. Maybe going to the gym more will help that. One thing I noticed while at the gym was how tired I got after doing my usual routine. I was still able to left all the weights I usually do but was light-headed and dizzy, though that could’ve been because I didn’t eat dinner before going to the gym.

Speaking of which, my ravenous appetite seems to have diminished and I’m also more constipated than before taking SP. I’m just not as hungry as I used to be and I don’t like it.

I was looking in the mirror and noitced that my nipples got smaller - I think they were bigger on SP but I can’t remember.

While I was asleep last night I’m pretty sure that I had an erection during the night. I think that’s a first since the SP, although I didn’t have morningwood or get any during the day. I’m still unable to achieve one on my own unless I work really hard at it. I’ve been trying to prevent tissue damage by forcing myself to get an erection daily to keep bloodflow healthy.

Libido is still zero. I have a constant pain on the right side of my groin - I’m not sure if it’s from my right testicle or the prostate (not sure where it’s specifically located). I was suffering from depression prior to taking SP but my current physical state has made it a lot, lot worse. I cannot live like this. It scares the hell out of me and I’m starting to break down just typing this. I just want things to get better.

I am finding it harder to concentrate during class, which I take at night after work. I’m not sure if that’s psychosomatic after browsing here or just because I’m obsessed with my current state and can’t focus on anything else until I’m healthy again.

I’m seeing the doctor Friday. I pray that this isn’t permanent. My parents think it’s all in my head, but believe me, it’s not. It’s a nightmare.

i believe you and all, but rest assured you are just coming off of it and most guys do recover fairly quickly coming off finasteride let alone i would think sp. i would just say try to relax, stay healthy, and get as much sleep as possible. i was literally like chemically casterated while on propecia for three weeks and have had severe hormonal and other issues since but my libido did return mostly a few weeks off the drug. As long as you’re sleeping well you should be fine, just relax and try to take it easy for a couple weeks.

Thanks for the support ithappens. I’ve been a mental wreck since this whole thing. Last night was the first night I was able to sleep well, probably fron being exhausted working out at the gym. But yeah, I feel like I’ve been “chemically castrated” and it couldn’t have come at a worse time. I just want to return to some sort of normalcy.

My symptoms are almost similar…hope your recovery goes better. I know it sounds impossible and I am having a hard time with it too - but try not to panic, it will only make it worse. I read your story in a hurry, did the symptoms come on SP or after? And what kind of physical changes did you get?

I noticed the lack of morningwood and libido on SP as well as persistent pain in my left testicle and decided it was best to discontinue it in fear of futher damage. After quitting, that’s when I think it got worse - I don’t have any libido now and cannot get an erection without a lot of manual effort. Semen is now watery when just weeks ago it was high volume and full. My penis feel rubbery and lacks any sesnsation. I’m completely devastated and cursing myself because I was very close to returning the stuff prior to opening it and never did. I regert it tremendously. After reading other stories this sounds like it could be permanent and I really, really hope that isn’t the case.

That seems to be the way it goes for us with really severe sides - quite mild sides on the drug and after we quit everything crashes down. At least my, Mew’s and NoMan’s stories are like yours…
It really does fuc* you up mentally when you have to look at your body and health going downhill and no one seems to know why. Hope your situation gets better.

What should I do? Wait it out? I should’ve probably weaned off instead of going cold turkey, but taking half the dosage right now would be problematic I guess. I’m hoping the erection I got last night is the start of a (hopefully not long) road to recovery.

Wait. I was so paniced that I ran to a few doctors and their help has been limited at best as no one knows how this really happens or how it can be treated. According to my understanding the lack of any erection would point towards crashed T levels…I think Mew would know best as to what you should do.

So I masturbated this morning (first time since Sunday)… still very, very difficult to get an erection - however, the semen was thick as opposed to watery which I take is a good sign, or so I hope. Volume was decent, too. Still no libido though.

I’m going to see my endocronologist this Friday and ask for the blood tests listed in the FAQ. I also scheduled a urologist appointment for next month with a doctor that specializes in sexual dysfunction and prostate issues. I do have some pre-SP numbers I can post later this week.

Some other symptoms I’ve noticed:

-face isn’t as oily as it used to be
-not as thirsty as I used to be (still try to drink a lot of water)
-less urination during the day
-skin is less dry: my shoulders, hands, and feet would be brutally dry during the winter, but now they’re not

Terp03.

First. Check your immune system. Do any tests you can to find out whether you have some bacteria that can interfere with your cells.

Do chlamydia trachomatis and more likely pneumoniae tests.

Also do your stool tests for the presence of the other bacteria types.

This crash down might be the negative feed back from taking medication for a long time and saw palmetto might let the bacteria to strike again due to the further downregulation of your immune response.

Check your progesteron whether it is not elevated, which might indicate some post medication liver imbalance and cellular imbalance too.

Last night I had several nocturnal erections. Still none during the day.

Majkellos - I believe I had Progesterone checked with my hormonal profile, and I will get the results back a week from Tuesday.

How and where do I get these immune system checks tested (chlamydia trachomatis and pneumoniae tests)? I’ve never heard of these before.

Blood, stool, urine _ pneumoniae, trachomatis blood work.

PS: My advices does not mean that this will cure you but you have to do as much as you can to recover and testing these issues, providing right treatments if necessary, might be helpfull.

Terp03, if you can, get some Clomid (clomiphene citrate), ask your doctor for some, tell him it was recommended, and do a very very low dose, i.e. 25mg before bed, for three weeks. This cures a lot of people. It stimulates your body’s hormone system to rebalance itself.

I’ll wait until I get my bloodtests back before I experiment with anything further… that’s what got me into this mess from the start