Danny's story

My story

It all began during the last year of study at University, I started to notice my hairline receding. Feeling incredibly self-conscious and frightened by the prospect of going bald, I guess I panicked and began looking for ‘treatments’ to stop the progress. I began taking Rogaine of which I purchased from a local pharmacist for 3-6 months, while it helped to maintain my hair it caused an ugly skin reaction whereby I started to develop darkened skin, itchy skin and an inflamed scalp so I reluctantly stopped. Still fearing losing my hair, I consulted the Belgravia Centre in London, they called me in for an asssessment and after discussing with them it was confirmed that I had MPB (male pattern baldness) I was now not only at risk of receding frontally at the temples, but also in the back (crown area ). The Belgravia centre firstly tried me on Minoxidil 12.5% cream, however like my experience with Rogaine it provoked the previous skin and scalp inflammation issues after a few days. Reporting back to the Belgravia Centre, I was offered the chance to take Finasteride instead, I discussed it with my family and they didn’t feel as though taking Propecia was good idea but would stand by me whatever decision I would make. I’d done my research on the drug for a while after and was put off by the prospect of developing sexual side effects at first and decided to shave my head instead. However, feeling more and more self-conscious and experiencing people taking the mick out of my balding and shaved head at Uni, I unfortunately became even more sensitive about it and I decided that I could not cope any longer with losing my hair. I then decided to go back to the Belgravia Centre to take Fin for a trial period, on their word and by doing more research (2% risk) that if I was to take it and develop side effects they would go after discontinuing. I took Fin for four days only during the summer of 2014, I now feel as though a part of me has died or has been significantly impaired.

To this day, I have developed all of the worst imaginable sexual side effects including, low-absent sex drive, penile shrinkage, testicular shrinkage, dulled orgasms, low ejaculation volume, poor quality semen/sperm, loss of sensation/numb feeling. In addition, I suffer from brain fog 24/7 and bouts of insomnia/fatigue. 2 years later I’ve experienced improvements with, my brain fog (alhough still bad) and fatigue but no real sexual progress.

Very bad luck mate. only 4 1mg pills? Surely the damage is not that bad in your body and there is a chance of recovery.

I think we all know by now it’s not a matter of how long someone has taken the pill for or even the dose. Finasteride is very effective even at very low dosages, and it doesn’t care how many you take. Some get hit instantly, some can take years.

Yeah I won’t give up on a full recovery but i’d settle for a partial one at this stage, if I was at least able to recover my brain i’d be satisfied to an extent. Just have to keep going I suppose, if people worse off have recovered then it’s definitely possible. Just need to find what works for your body and for me at the moment it’s diet.