Daily Mail feature: Request for UK man with fertility problems following use of Finasteride

The Daily Mail are going to be including mention of Finasteride’s effects on fertility in some men for their Good Health section.

They are looking for a UK man who has taken propecia/finasteride and believe their infertility is linked to this. It would involve an interview on the phone and they would send a photographer to them at their convenience.

Please send me a pm as soon as possible if you would like to be featured in this and have had associated tests showing low parameters, or difficulty conceiving.

Best,

axo

1 Like

We need as much attention as we can get for this issue, but be aware that the Daily Mail is a sensationalist tabloid which frequently twists the information it is provided. It is pretty much held up as the antithesis of journalistic integrity in the UK, so deal with them at your own risk.

I do not wan’t to prevent PFS getting the exposure it needs, but I would urge caution on anyone contemplating dealing with the Daily Mail.

2 Likes

Whilst that’s largely true of their coverage of political and domestic issues, their health section appears to be more sympathetic to the people they interview and if anything, they’d amplify the issues we face to attract clicks. This is their recent article on accutane:

I thought that was a fair and sympathetic article.

2 Likes

All I would say is if you are going to deal with them, have in writing exactly what the angle of their article is and how they are going to use any information you provide them with. And also make it clear that whatever input you provide for that article can only be used in future articles with your consent. Do not do anything based on trust with them.

1 Like

Given that I went public with the radio in the UK I’d be wary of advising others to do the same, especially if you’re in a vulnerable position not that long off the drug, your privacy should be paramount.

1 Like

Would you mind sharing a link to this radio segment? If not, I understand if you don’t want to associate your username here with something that identifies you in the public domain.

I do understand, but as @tzinkman says they are a large organisation and differing parts seem to be distinct from accusations of inaccuracy and sensationalist reporting in their political coverage. They have not taken an inappropriate stance with limited coverage of roaccutane’s effects, and before that, some finasteride coverage from what I’ve read.

This is a narrowly focused piece in the context of men taking a fertility risk for aesthetic reasons. From what I understand it is instigated due to a recent BBC piece tangentially mentioning finasteride’s possible effects on fertility. This topic is simply an offer to patients in case there is somebody who would like their voice heard if this is an issue they know they experience. It does offer an opportunity to get the word out if the person they are after is you.

Although a notably higher rate of severe oligospermia was found in a small US investigation of 19 men who were otherwise healthy with persistent sexual effects following finasteride (Irwig 2014), it’s quite hard to locate such a cohort who are still otherwise healthy, reasonably sexually functional, UK based and with measured fertility parameters of their own accord - then within that who would be willing to publicise it. After all, considering what has happened to many of us on the severe end, that concern is sadly rather moot, as if it wouldn’t be sad enough on its own…

However, I was put in contact by a professor who already informed them this basis was a narrow view. I’ll have a conversation later anyway in the hope of at least some groundwork, as it would be good to get some broader coverage with useful insight into the issue. Obviously the reality here is a much bigger and more shocking story.

I’m not saying people shouldn’t participate, just that they should do so aware of who they are dealing with, so they should have everything in writing regarding what the piece is about and consent provided for the use of any input. The Daily Mail can do some good coverage of things like animal welfare issues, personal health, and other things. But anyone dealing with them would be foolish to leave anything to trust.

3 Likes

The Journo from the DM who is writing the article about Finasteride is an award winning journalist and is taking our story seriously. You can have your account told anonymously if you want. If she has a group of people telling their story readers are going to take more notice than if its just one or two people.

3 Likes

Well said the more of us that get involved can only be good for the cause. Brothers in arms

1 Like