Creatine + Caffeine ̶+̶ ̶P̶o̶l̶y̶g̶a̶l̶a̶ ̶T̶e̶n̶u̶i̶f̶o̶l̶i̶a̶

It’s been just about 3 months since I quit Finasteride and the good days (less depression, anhedonia, lethargy, brain fog, and testosterone insensitivity etc.) are slowly becoming more frequent (from 0-1/week in the beginning to 2-3/week now).

Recently, I’ve been using creatine and caffeine to try and upregulate my 5α-Reductase activity and normalize my androgen receptor density/sensitivity. I’ve also been eating ketogenically and intermittent fasting.

Creatine experience:
first day using creatine (5g) and higher dose caffeine (240mg sugar free rockstar) in the late afternoon (~3-4pm) specifically had a really powerful effect in that it reversed all of my symptoms (cognitive but also indirectly libido).

The same combination on the second day also felt really good (dosed 5mg creatine once in the morning and once in the evening).

Sadly, on day three, all of my symptoms returned with a vengeance despite following the same protocol as day 2. Specifically my mood and motivation deteriorated. Fortunately, I remembered I had gotten really beneficial mood uplifting effects from Nootropics Depot’s Polygala Tenuifolia extract (increases norepinephrine serotonin and dopamine levels by reducing their transport back to the presynaptic neuron as well as possibly increasing BDNF and NGF which are negatively impacted by PFS) in the past. So, on day 4, I took ~30mg Polygala sublingually along with the day 2 protocol and eliminated the evening caffeine (only took the usual 200mg caffeine pill in the morning). This didn’t help much as I still crashed in the evening.

BUT THEN, on day 5, I took 60-100mg of polygala sublingually in the morning AND in the evening also without the caffeine and sure enough, my mood went through the roof and my symptoms remained vanquished just like on day one with the late afternoon caffeine and creatine alone. ̶I̶’̶m̶ ̶g̶o̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶t̶o̶ ̶k̶e̶e̶p̶ ̶t̶h̶i̶s̶ ̶p̶r̶o̶t̶o̶c̶o̶l̶ ̶u̶p̶ ̶t̶o̶ ̶s̶e̶e̶ ̶h̶o̶w̶ ̶l̶o̶n̶g̶ ̶i̶t̶ ̶l̶a̶s̶t̶s̶,̶ ̶b̶u̶t̶ ̶s̶o̶ ̶f̶a̶r̶,̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶r̶a̶p̶i̶d̶ ̶a̶n̶t̶i̶d̶e̶p̶r̶e̶s̶s̶a̶n̶t̶,̶ ̶m̶o̶o̶d̶ ̶b̶o̶o̶s̶t̶i̶n̶g̶,̶ ̶a̶n̶d̶ ̶c̶o̶g̶n̶i̶t̶i̶o̶n̶ ̶e̶n̶h̶a̶n̶c̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶e̶f̶f̶e̶c̶t̶s̶ ̶o̶f̶ ̶P̶o̶l̶y̶g̶a̶l̶a̶ ̶(̶w̶h̶i̶c̶h̶ ̶s̶u̶p̶p̶o̶s̶e̶d̶l̶y̶ ̶i̶n̶c̶r̶e̶a̶s̶e̶ ̶o̶v̶e̶r̶ ̶t̶i̶m̶e̶)̶ ̶h̶a̶v̶e̶ ̶b̶e̶e̶n̶ ̶r̶e̶m̶a̶r̶k̶a̶b̶l̶e̶.̶ ̶T̶h̶e̶ ̶P̶o̶l̶y̶g̶a̶l̶a̶ ̶a̶l̶o̶n̶e̶ ̶m̶i̶g̶h̶t̶ ̶b̶e̶ ̶s̶u̶f̶f̶i̶c̶i̶e̶n̶t̶ ̶t̶o̶ ̶e̶l̶i̶c̶i̶t̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶s̶e̶ ̶s̶a̶m̶e̶ ̶b̶e̶n̶e̶f̶i̶c̶i̶a̶l̶ ̶e̶f̶f̶e̶c̶t̶s̶,̶ ̶h̶o̶w̶e̶v̶e̶r̶ ̶I̶ ̶t̶h̶i̶n̶k̶ ̶P̶o̶l̶y̶g̶a̶l̶a̶ ̶s̶y̶n̶e̶r̶g̶i̶z̶e̶s̶ ̶w̶e̶l̶l̶ ̶w̶i̶t̶h̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶c̶r̶e̶a̶t̶i̶n̶e̶ ̶a̶n̶d̶ ̶c̶a̶f̶f̶e̶i̶n̶e̶,̶ ̶p̶o̶t̶e̶n̶t̶i̶a̶l̶l̶y̶ ̶e̶n̶h̶a̶n̶c̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶i̶r̶ ̶e̶f̶f̶e̶c̶t̶s̶.̶

Current Protocol:
Morning:
5-10g creatine
200mg caffeine pill
̶6̶0̶-̶1̶0̶0̶m̶g̶ ̶P̶o̶l̶y̶g̶a̶l̶a̶ ̶T̶e̶n̶u̶i̶f̶o̶l̶i̶a̶ ̶(̶N̶o̶o̶t̶r̶o̶p̶i̶c̶s̶ ̶d̶e̶p̶o̶t̶)̶ ̶S̶U̶B̶L̶I̶N̶G̶U̶A̶L̶L̶Y̶

Late afternoon (3-4pm):
5-10g creatine
̶6̶0̶-̶1̶0̶0̶m̶g̶ ̶P̶o̶l̶y̶g̶a̶l̶a̶ ̶T̶e̶n̶u̶i̶f̶o̶l̶i̶a̶ ̶(̶N̶o̶o̶t̶r̶o̶p̶i̶c̶s̶ ̶d̶e̶p̶o̶t̶)̶ ̶S̶U̶B̶L̶I̶N̶G̶U̶A̶L̶L̶Y̶
(optional more caffeine 100-200mg or 2-4mg nicotine lozenge)

̶N̶o̶t̶e̶:̶
̶T̶o̶ ̶a̶c̶c̶e̶l̶e̶r̶a̶t̶e̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶r̶e̶a̶l̶i̶z̶a̶t̶i̶o̶n̶ ̶o̶f̶ ̶a̶n̶y̶ ̶p̶o̶t̶e̶n̶t̶i̶a̶l̶ ̶b̶e̶n̶e̶f̶i̶t̶s̶,̶ ̶y̶o̶u̶ ̶c̶o̶u̶l̶d̶ ̶t̶r̶y̶ ̶t̶a̶k̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶s̶a̶m̶e̶ ̶s̶u̶b̶l̶i̶n̶g̶u̶a̶l̶ ̶d̶o̶s̶e̶ ̶o̶f̶ ̶P̶o̶l̶y̶g̶a̶l̶a̶ ̶(̶6̶0̶-̶1̶0̶0̶m̶g̶)̶ ̶3̶ ̶t̶i̶m̶e̶s̶ ̶a̶ ̶d̶a̶y̶ ̶(̶m̶o̶r̶n̶i̶n̶g̶,̶ ̶n̶o̶o̶n̶,̶ ̶a̶n̶d̶ ̶e̶v̶e̶n̶i̶n̶g̶)̶ ̶i̶n̶s̶t̶e̶a̶d̶ ̶o̶f̶ ̶2̶.̶

As I’m finally beginning to recover from PFS, I’m beginning to realize how much it truly turned me into an anxious zombie with destroyed ambition and self worth.

Also, fuck the polygala, it didn’t help and just gave me heart palpitations while the serotonin increase was counterproductive to hormonal restoration. 5-10g creatine in the evenings particularly is where it’s at for me, but if you have side effects like I did, including increased blood pressure/heart rate, definitely take it with food and if needed, use a diuretic (like caffeine or dandelion) to counteract the water retention/dehydration issues. Creatine and Tribulus really helped over time with a few cycles and synergized well with stimulants like caffeine (200-400mg) and nicotine lozenges for me (2-4mg) allowing them to work again. When my DHT/testosterone/neurosteroids are off, I don’t respond to stimulants or almost anything that usually boosts my mental performance; instead, they just increase my stress levels, making me anxious and giving me sweaty palms etc.

Finally, avoiding high doses of any common natural 5ARis like chocolate, green tea, MCTs, Omega 3s, other poly unsaturated fats, Ginkgo, Milk thistle, etc. has been a game changer for me. Good luck to anyone using creatine for their symptoms and anyone struggling with PFS in general. There is hope!

Solid PFS guide from more plates more dates
Creatine
Tribulus

10% Tongkat ali extract took the improvement from tribulus and creatine to a different level, holy shit, I feel better than I ever did pre-fin.

I’ve also noticed improvements from the addition of Huperzine, and 10:1 cordyceps powder, intermittent as opposed to longer term fasting, reducing calories per meal, minimizing omega 6 gluten and casein, eating all cals before 5pm, and intensive cycling every other day (up hills repeatedly, periodically elevating HR and breathing depth). The improvements have been building over 3 weeks and continue to sustain.

True test will be how much I can eliminate and still feel this good.

Why is some of this expunged?

mentioned in the first comment

Thanks

Final thing I’ll say is to minimize SHBG, adding in carbs again at least intermittently may be a good idea. It seemed to help me. Eating plenty of healthy high nutrient density calories with carbohydrates seems to maximize my testosterone levels and sensitivity. Fasting excessively and eating ketogenically too strictly can definitely be counterproductive in some individuals.

hormone levels before and now back on finasteride (that’s right, I started Finasteride again at 0.25mg and don’t notice any sides unless I up the dose to 1mg):

https://imgur.com/a/4RDmE0w

resuming use was a mistake lol. 0.25 mg daily for 3 months this time still caused the fin side effects worsening during use (anhedonia shitty memory long and short, impaired affect/social/emotional processing, sympathetic/parasympathetic balance skewed towards sympathetic) and pfs symptoms after quitting.

It took me 3-5 months to recover from the first stretch of 1 mg Finasteride daily for 5 months. hoping since I used 0.25 mg for only 3 months this time, that that the PFS symptoms will decline in 2-4 months. I know I’ve recovered or at least mostly recovered when my blood testosterone decreases by ~200 ng/dl, my free testosterone drops by ~30 pg/mL, my estrogen decreases by ~10 pg/mL, and my dht increases by ~10 ng/dL from my levels on Finasteride.

fasting and cycling tribulus (ramp dose up then down for one week then one week off then another up down week and so on) initially (to restore proper/pre-finasteride AR functioning and sensitivity) while minimizing test/dht spikes as much as possible initially seems to help. then doing activities to spike testosterone (sex/stimulation/working out/sprints/tongkat ali etc.) will be felt once again at the restored AR sensitivity levels.

You don’t say.

1 Like

Fortunately, I at least know roughly how long it should take to recover this time based on the first experience, what worked then to aid in the process aside from time and being in a positive/supporting environment, and what my hormone levels look like on fin with symptoms vs off fin with no symptoms. I just wish I knew what they looked like now. If the symptoms don’t improve much in the 1 month window and when I have more money, I’ll get my hormones measured again to see if they align with what they were after recovering the first time when I no longer had symptoms (~4.5 months after quitting).

I hope you’ll recover.

But man, stay away from this poison. You know when it comes about resuming the drug, we’re always one dose away from a total breakdown.

1 Like

Thanks you too. It’s always the quitting that fucks with my brain more than my d. While on fin its mainly the d/libido and just a bit off numbness, but then after quitting the sides get cranked to 100 and the anhedonia/memory issues are by far the worst :upside_down_face:

Also, I wish I could keep my hair, the decision between hair and not having Fin. sides/PFS symptoms sucks.

Yeah anhedonia is dreadful.

Fucking PFS. .

1 Like

We need a damn treatment for AGA that doesn’t cause the Fin. sides/PFS symptoms or at least something we can take while on Fin to prevent them from occuring while on and after quitting. I experimented taking tribulus, creatine, and tongkat while on fin and they just seemed to delay the inevitable development of sides which I assume would happen too even if I took fin MWF. I don’t want to have to stab my head by microneedling or applying annoying topicals every day either lol. maybe breezula or RU-58841 + minoxidil might be enough for some of us. But regardless, there should at least be something as effective as Fin for us Fin-sensitive PFS-prone folks.

We just need to grow up and realize going bald can’t be one of the first 100 problems of a man with a shread of self esteem.

And that’s really it in my opinion.

3 Likes