Could this all be stemming from one gene

I’m not a science man so I’m not going to pretend that I know what I’m talking about here so that’s why I’m just juggling this idea. What if everything is stemming from the 5alpha-steroid reductase type 2 gene (SRD5A2) which is having a down stream effect on other genes like a domino effect? In theory wouldn’t this be the first gene to be methylated if indeed DHT flooding into the receptors caused a silencing.

2 Likes

Didn’t only like 53% of people with PFS in the Melcangi study have a methylated SRD5A2 gene though

1 Like

Did they? Was this against the control studies

Technically, all of the controls were unmethylated because one of the controls had a brain inflammatory condition so it should be ruled out. So if 100% of controls are unmethylated and less than half of pfs are unmethylated, that is a strong indicator of a unique trait pfs people have. If this is repeated in another study it would make this theory stronger.

1 Like

Also there are many other studies showing that inflammation directly methylates SRD5A2 and silences it.

1 Like

I cannot comment on the science but if you are interested, read this:

… a group of scientists have identified a genetic switch which is thought to be unique to sexual function. They believe that this switch plays a crucial role in controlling the brain signals which initiate an erection, and new genome editing technologies such as Crispr-Cas9 could one day allow scientists to reactivate this switch in patients.

Interesting Pete.

Can you please link these studies. I want to read.

1 Like