Contacted by Swedish TV

I have been contacted by Swedish TV:

"Hi there,
my name is Sara Bull and I am a news reporter working with national Swedish Television. And I am very interested in getting in touch with people who have used Propecia but suffered side effects. So do you think you can help me out? And do you know any doctors or experts who is conviced that Propecia is bad for you?

So if you can help me or just give me more information that could be useful to me please do contact me!

editing reporter, Sveriges Television"

Is there any doctors I can use for this?

Thanks
Nick

Update

I have spoke with Sara yesterday and after explaining my story and the forums she spoke to her boss and called me back. They are flying over next week to do an interview for TV. She said she is going to round up some experts also (not sure what she intends to do, wether or not they are coming to!)

Anyway I need the following info:

Dr Alex contact info, she asked for Doctors and I just remembered Dr Alex is a doctor who has had some problems with Propecia first hand so if someone could point him in the directions of this forums or get me some contact info I think it could be really useful.

Any other stuff you think relevant, how many people registered on this forum and the Yahoo one?

Also those FDA adverse reactions file, any other stuff like that would be great.

Thanks
Nick

Nick, this is great news! So they are coming to interview you? What has made them want to run a finasteride story, did they say?

James is obviously also another doc who has had problems with fin…if you can find him…

Best of luck with this. And if they need more support or people to interview then please point them in my direction…

This is really good to hear Nick. Hows it all going?

Hi all

The sweedish people have just left and the interview went really well. They are reporting for the Sweedish version of our BBC so it is the public TV channel over there and they hope this will go out in the next couple of weeks.

I will let you know as soon as I hear anything.

Nick

Can you elaborate a little?

What did you discuss? Did you show them any studies? What were their opinions?

Thanks.

It was an interview/chat and I was asked about all the aspects concerning Propecia including how I got involved, did the drug work, what problems I had, would I recommend it to others, what other effects were people suffering. how it affected me, were there others suffering, the forums, the emails I recieve from other suffers, being cast aside by Merk, the information supplied by Merck, the trouble finding a doctor, what did I think of Propecia now

We spent a lot of time together, about 4 1/2 hours so we discussed/filmed quite a lot.

Sara needs to find some experts to talk about some of the technical details and also some more background info before its edited into a report.

Nick

Just received the following e-mail:

"Hi Nick!

I hope all is well with you. I just wanted to tell you that the story will be broadcasted on Sunday evening if everything goes as planned. The medical company has been very nervous about all of this. They have been calling and e-mailing me every five minutes. I will look into the possibility of getting the story translated so that you can watch it. Thanks again for everything."

Hopefully this will be the start of some publicity of our problems :slight_smile:

Make sure you TAPE THE BROADCAST!!!

Then we can upload to YouTube and Google Video etc…

Wow Nick,

Thank you so much for this.

Let’s hope we can build on this and find ways distribute this video to other sources.

Hi!

I haven’t found the video so I think I can attach the link to the video from the swedish television:

Here are the video:
svt.se/svt/road/Classic/shared/m … 895&lpos=1

Here are the full swedish report (can translate if anyone want):
svt.se/svt/jsp/Crosslink.jsp?d=2 … rt527895=0

Can we tip CNN, NBC, other media in UK and US ??

Nick: This is good! I lookforward that the media will make a bigger case on this. I think I also will speak to the swedish reporter. Do you have her e-mail address ?

Thanks for letting us know Arvid!!!

I was able to download a copy of the video to my computer using hidownload.com , it lets you rip streaming media.

I suggest others do the same in case they decide to pull the video from the website in the future.

If some can someone translate it and post the text here, I can do a voiceover in English or add English subtitles, and re-post an English version to YouTube and Google Video.

This would also help if submitting to other news sites in the US, Canada and English speaking countries.

I have tried to translate it and here are most of the talking:

Title Drug against hair loss that can cause impotence:
Swedish researchers warn that the drug Propecia againts hair loss can cause impotence.

Meet terry & peery video, speach Sara Bull:
The drug affects the bodies hormone balance which should stop hair loss. (information that msd has written)

Tommy Ringart, informationchef MSD:
9 of 10 men that takes Propecia stops the hair loss. 2 of 3 men some hair also will start to grow.

Sara Bull interview with NicK.
Nick had used the Propecia for 5 months when he saw he was impotent. And he has still problem with this.

Interview, Jan-Åke Gustafsson
Swedish researchers warn young men not to use this type of drug.

I think they should not use this type of drug which affects the hormone balance, and can give an effect which we can’t understand.

Sara Bull:
Merck says that over half million people uses Propecia and 3000 of them in Sweden.

Tommy Ringart, informationchef MSD:
The most common side effects are; slow sexual drift(?), erection problem and smaller amount of sperm.
This side effects has showed up in late time. 1 of 100 or 1 of 1000 men got this side effects. This side effects stops after stop using the drug.

Ulrik Kvist:
Flagrantly there are several fail and can’t gurante that they get healthy again. Because we don’t now the mechanism.

Sara Bull questions Tommy Ringart:
Should it be so the the side effects don’t disappears?
It could be so, but if we look at the statistics then we see that it isn’t so.

Sara Bull/Nick going:
Nick are not alone with his side effects. On the net we found a forum with men that have used Propecia.
They spoke about erections problem, pain in testis, depression and breast enlargement. The forum has over 1000 members and Nick are one of them.

Good luck with english texts and english “correction”.

I just caught the video link you posted. Great job on your part Nick, I applaud you. Hopefully this leads to more exposure. Thanks for doing this.

Hi all

Thanks for finding the video and posting it here. I was sent a DVD which I received just after New Year but wasn’t sure how I could get it online so that’s a problem solved.

I will forward this to the BBC over here and see if we can get the ball rolling. If people can do this in their respective countries we can hopefully get this off the ground. It has to help!

Nick

Hey Snowking,

Great job on contacting the Swedish TV and telling about our miserable situation. If you remember well I was contacted a couple of years ago by a New York media company but in spite of my positive response the documentary was never released…

Could you give us the e-amil address of that swedish reporter, Sarah Bull? I would like to contact and encourage her.

Another question, Sarah says that Merck was very worried about the interview airing it to the public and that they contacted her ¨every five minutes¨, but do you know what those bastards told her? What did they have to say in their defense? Do they mentioned anything about a possible solution?

That´s all and thanks again Snowking. You showed real courage and made an invaluable contribution to our forum. Hope you and all of us find our way out.

TRANSLATION TO ENGLISH

I was asked to do a more complete translation of this news segment so here it is, you might need to watch the video again to follow:

*** Edited for grammar and consistency, by Mew:

Nicholas speaking in english:
“It was like there was no connection between the brain and the penis, it was just like a piece of skin and that was it, there was nothing… and that’s when I started to worry about things.”

Sara Bull, SVT.SE Reporter:
“4 years ago Nick discovered the prescription drug propecia on the Internet, where it is marketed as a unique solution to male pattern baldness. The pills contain the active ingredient Finasteride, which affects the body’s hormonal balance in a way that stops hair from falling out.”

Tommy Ringart, Chief of Information, Merck, Sharp & Dhome (MSD):
“Well in 9 out of 10 men who take Propecia you can say that the balding process stops… and in 2 out of 3 men we also see regrowth, so it works well.”

Nicholas speaking english, anwsering questions from reporter.
“The good side of the drug in doing what it was supposed to do, I thought it was amazing… I was really amazed with the results. So yea, I guess it’s easy to get lost in that.”

“But was it worth it?”

Nicholas speaking english, anwsering questions from reporter.
“No, NO WAY… no, if I could go back now, no… I’d NEVER touch that stuff.”

“After 5 months, Nicholas stopped taking Propecia because he discovered he had become impotent. Today, 4 years later, he still has erection problems. Now, established Swedish scientists warn young men from taking these kind of products.”

Jan Åke Gustavsson, Professor at Karolinska Institutet:
“I think that one should avoid medications that require prolonged use, as this could result in having affected hormones for years… this could have effects that have not been understood before” (he’s talking about taking medications for years and thus having affected hormones, he’s not saying he KNOWS it will affect hormones for years after discontinuation).

“According to the pharmaceutical company MSD, about half a million people are taking propecia and about 3,000 of these are found in Sweden.”

Tommy Ringart, Chief of Information, MSD:
"The most common side effects are reduced libido, erection problems and reduced semen quantity. But these are side effects that rarely occur in an estimated 1 out of a 100 or 1 out of a 1000 people. These are also side effects that will subside if one continue to use Propecia and if this is not the case, then they will subside when one quits Propecia.

“And this u can guarantee?”

“That is what our clinical studies… that is what our studies say.”

Ullrik Kvist, Chief Doctor of Center of Andrology and Sexual Medicine, Sweden:
“Obviously there are several cases where one has not returned to normal ability in terms of erection or completely restored libido after stopping Propecia, so this can not be guaranteed, because we don’t know the mechanisms.”

“Could it be that such side effects do not dissapear after discontinuing the drug?”

“Well in a single case it might be so, but if we look at the total gathered statistics, then we can see that this is not the case.”

“But Nicholas is far from alone to testify of persisting side effects. On the Internet, we find a forum for men who have more or less persisting side effects induced by Propecia. It speaks about erectile dysfunction, pain in the testicles, depression and breast enlargement. The forum has more than a thousand users and Nicholas is one of them.”

Nicholas talking in english.
“I just can’t understand how something like that can be available to the public, when it does such bad things… you know, it was pretty devastating when it first hit me what had happened, you know… and all the guys that are going through this problem must feel the same way… uhm, you know I was very close to just wanting it all to end…”

END OF VIDEO.

Funny they should be so worried about a chance to learn more about their own drug’s negative effects… nice to see their intentions are pure.:unamused: It is documented that Propecia has destructive side-effects by Merck themselves! Yet they will rabidly contact a reporter whilst not saying a word to sufferers? Disgusting how they hide… their motives are $o clear.

BTW, pardon the delayed response; just noticed this. Unbelievable video though and many many thanks to snowking! He was great!

The video has been posted to YouTube.

youtube.com/watch?v=2nXWVTStnHs

Spread the word and link.

be interested to know how snowking is doing now