Constant feeling of unease/anxiety from finasteride

Where are you from (country)? USA

How did you find this forum? Google.

What is your current age, height, weight? 22, 5’9, 150 lbs

What specific drug did you use? Finasteride

What dose did you take? 1.25 mg every day

What condition was being treated with the drug? Male pattern baldness.

For how long did you take the drug (weeks/months/years)? Around 13 months

How old were you, and WHEN (date) did you start the drug? 21 y/o

How old were you when you quit, and WHEN (date) did you quit? 22.

How did you quit (cold turkey or taper off)? Cold turkey.

How long into your usage did you notice the onset of side effects? Around 6 months in I think I started having some mild anxiety, but it was such a non-issue I just ignored it and didn’t care.

What side effects did you experience that have yet to resolve since discontinuation? Anxiety.

Check the boxes that apply. You can save your post first, then interactively check/uncheck the boxes by clicking on them. If your symptoms change, please update your list.

Sexual
[ ] Loss of Libido / Sex Drive
[ ] Erectile Dysfunction
[ ] Complete Impotence
[ ] Loss of Morning Erections
[ ] Loss of Spontaneous Erections
[ ] Loss of Nocturnal Erections
[X] Watery Ejaculate
[ ] Reduced Ejaculate
[ ] Inability or Difficulty to Ejaculate / Orgasm
[ ] Reduced Sperm Count / Motility

Mental
[ ] Emotional Blunting / Emotionally Flat
[ ] Difficulty Focusing / Concentrating
[ ] Confusion
[ ] Memory Loss / Forgetfulness
[ ] Stumbling over Words / Losing Train of Thought
[ ] Slurring of Speech
[ ] Lack of Motivation / Feeling Passive / Complacency
[X] Extreme Anxiety / Panic Attacks
[ ] Severe Depression / Melancholy
[ ] Suicidal Thoughts

Physical
[ ] Penile Tissue Changes (narrowing, shrinkage, wrinkled)
[ ] Penis curvature / rotation on axis
[ ] Testicular Pain
[ ] Testicular Shrinkage / Loss of Fullness
[ ] Genital numbness / sensitivity decrease
[ ] Weight Gain
[ ] Gynecomastia (male breasts)
[ ] Muscle Wastage
[ ] Muscle Weakness
[ ] Joint Pain
[ ] Dry / Dark Circles under eyes

Misc
[ ] Prostate pain
[ ] Persistent Fatigue / Exhaustion
[ ] Stomach Pains / Digestion Problems
[ ] Constipation / “Poo Pellets”
[ ] Vision - Acuity Decrease / Blurriness
[ ] Tinnitus (ringing or high pitched sound in ears)
[ ] Hearing loss
[ ] Increased hair loss
[ ] Frequent urination
[ ] Lowered body temperature

[ ] Other (please explain)

What (if any) treatments have you undertaken to recover from your side effects since discontinuation of the drug? None.

If you have pre or post-drug blood tests, what hormonal changes have you encountered since discontinuing the drug (please post your test results in the “Blood Tests” section and link to them in your post)?

Anything not listed in the above questions you’d like to share about your experience?

Summary of my experience: After being on finasteride for some months I started having mild anxiety. I didn’t consider it very bad and contiuned finasteride for about another 6 or 7 months until I had a really bad panic attack one day. That day was early last month and I stopped taking finasteride that same day. Ever since that panic attack nearly 6 weeks ago now I haven’t stopped feeling anxious/uneasy. I guess I’m looking for reassurance more than anything I really REALLY hope this will get better. I’m obviously never going to take finasteride again.

I will say I think my ‘spikes’ have gotten slightly better since the panic attack as in I don’t get super freaked out by negative thoughts as much, BUT I’m still dealing with a pretty much 24/7 sense of unease.

First of all, it is terrible that you have gotten anxiety from finasteride. It is a real symptom of finasteride use, and I believe one of the symptoms of finasteride that will mostly subside over time. Know that you are very lucky that you only have this symptom. I had this very bad too in the beginning, especially the unexplainable racing heartbeat was the worst part for me.

So as everyone here has his own theory what pfs is I have mine. I believe the anxiety is caused mainly by stiffened tissue in the body mainly in the head. Stiffened tissue will cause bad blood circulation which increases heartbeat, but it also causes breathing issues. These issues of course cause anxiety. I think you should focus on removing this tension and improve breathing and circulation. The things people do who are recovered from pfs and have in common are= exercise, socialize, be outside, eat lots of vegetables with meat/fish no sugar, alcohol/drugs and stop stressing. These things basically all improve circulation and breathing and remove stiffness. What I would add and what helps me with anxiety by far the most is to stop looking at all electronic screens which are proven to be able to cause anxiety by stimulating the brain and just sit in the dark for at least 30minutes with my eyes open. I know it sounds boring as hell, but if you have bad anxiety this will probably help you because you are not stimulating your brain and it prepares your brain to go to sleep so it is releasing tension. Fresh air works wonders for me too, so I will just go for a walk.