Compositional differences in gastrointestinal microbiota in prostate cancer patients treated with androgen axis-targeted therapies (Antiandrogens)

Compositional differences in gastrointestinal microbiota in prostate cancer patients treated with androgen axis-targeted therapies
https://www.nature.com/articles/s41391-018-0061-x

A few main takeaways,

analysis identified significant compositional differences in the GI microbiota of men taking ATT, including a greater abundance of species previously linked to response to anti-PD-1 immunotherapy such as Akkermansia muciniphila and Ruminococcaceae spp. In functional analyses, we found an enriched representation of bacterial gene pathways involved in steroid biosynthesis and steroid hormone biosynthesis in the fecal microbiota of men taking oral ATT.

There are measurable differences in the GI microbiota of men receiving oral ATT. We speculate that oral hormonal therapies for prostate cancer may alter the GI microbiota, influence clinical responses to ATT

a screen of more than 1000 marketed non-antibiotic drugs against 40 representative GI bacterial strains found that nearly a quarter inhibited bacterial growth

The microbiome and systemic hormone levels

It has been reported that steroid biosynthesis occurs in prokaryotes [26, 27], and that certain species of bacteria are capable of metabolizing estrogen and androgen precursors and catabolizing estrogens and androgens thereby affecting systemic levels of these hormones [28,29,30]

2 Likes

I also believe these microbial traits or profiles could be passed on to offspring.
There’s evidence already that giving certain probiotics to pregnant mothers can be passed on to their young.

What probiotic do you recommend?

If I already knew that, you would know.
There’s just two that I continue to look at for very different reasons,
but I wouldnt recommend either one atm, I just look at the possible evidence, and also realise it might not be as simple as an on and off switch.
Meaning a person might not even recognize anything that could be remotely considered a type of cure or therapy initially.
Theres even plenty of evidence of that here, maybe short-term windows of “feeling better” but its sort of false because it doesnt last or results in a “crash” and then saying “im worse then I ever was after milk thistle or tribulus” or insert whatever substance or dietary choices.
Why did you try milk thistle to begin with? What were you looking at and what did you learn?