Common foods that are likely setting you back

Members on the forum need to STOP looking at everything with 5AR angle of view. It’s a losing battle. Foods classified here as 5ar inhibitors also happen to effect gut microbiome in so many ways, which in some cases (depending on the microbiome makeup) can result in what we call herx reaction. This may lead to increased inflammation and produce symptoms.

I’m being over simplistic of course but there’s so much to learn beside pro or anti 5ar.

4 Likes

None 5ar foods also cause me problems so I agree

Definitely not the bottles. I drink regular bottled water just fine.

I think doomed is right. Carbonated water should have nothing to do 5ar. One thing that would make sense is if the acidity of carbonated water is killing off certain microbes that release chemicals when they die. Some people with herx reaction mentioned testicular pain.

I think I should get some kind of gut microbiome analysis. Gotta start looking. Anyone have any suggestions?

My suggestion is that it’s not the gut.

Maybe, but I’m starting to notice a pattern. It seems that many of my symptoms flare up when my gut isn’t doing well. Whenever I have a diarrhea episode, I know I will have insomnia with heart palpitations for at least a day. Foods unrelated to 5ar trigger some symptoms. I don’t think it’s hormone related, because even carbonated water gives me ball aches.

Maybe it’s something else triggering both sides. I’m not 100% positive, but it’s worth having a look. My TSLA investment panned out well this year, so I can afford a $200 test.

2 Likes

Exactly. I’ve a feeling many here (including me) suffer some sort of gut dysbiosis leading to undesirable reactions to different foods. Interestingly, many of the food items in the list above also also happen to be either:

• High fiber foods (e.g. fruits, legumes, nuts, beans, dark chocolate) that work as prebiotic to promote growth of certain bacteria. If certain bacteria is increased then it’ll usually compete with other opposing bacteria.

• Foods with antibiotic properties (e.g. olive oil, coconut oil, pumpkin seeds, etc.) which kill certain bacteria and produce herx reactions (i.e. inflammation)

Increased inflammation also results in PFS-like symptoms, which includes lowered testosterone and low libido. The right way to go about this is to first get a microbiome analysis done to learn about individual bacterial overgrowths and undergrowths and then make an individual list of recommended foods.

I’ve created a daily food journal to test this hypothesis and have noticed different reactions to different foods based on my recent microbiome results. This is still anecdotal but like I said in another thread, modulating microbiome through diet manipulation remains to be the biggest predictor to my well-being and libido.

Moral of the day, microbiome science is advancing in a geometric rate and there’s so much to learn.

1 Like

Or that your gut not doing well is also one of the symptoms, not the cause?

2 Likes

So many foods are a potential issue. There does not seem to be an oil that might be good. :frowning:

Why we have to avoid corn? I can’t find any info that it’s high in Phytoestrogens or antiandrogens. Thank you

I see a lot of foods on the list which I do not have any problems with. I do not think the issue with food is because they are 5ar inhibitory.

@pff ii never had any food intolerances with PFS. However in the last 3 years I developed an increasing problem and now virtually everything causes me issue aggravating my very long list of problems terribly. This disease is not a one shoe fits all though many sufferers are effected by this list so count yourself lucky.

I do have problems with food but is the 5ar inhibitory affect the real problem of these foods is the question or is it something else? For me when I eat lots of fiber (grains, vegetables) I feel good. When I eat lots of animal foods and saturated fats I feel worse.

1 Like

That’s how it was for me 5 years ago then things turned on the head and I became increasingly sensitive to more and more foods. I believe 5ars mimic fin, they reduce dht then you get a surge which overwhelms the receptors. I didn’t know about PFS and continued eating lots of what was spiraling my anxiety etc etc etc I expect they became increasingly sensitive to where I am now. If I’d known about PFS years ago I think I could have got out of it before there was so much damage. Feels like a one way ticket, a ride I can’t get off! Faith for me mate. .

Guys (anyone reading this thread),

This thread is not about making sure you 100% do not eat any of these foods.

The point of this thread is to make you aware of some of the common foods that might have an ability to make you have set-backs. Read the list, and try to be cognizant of if any of them effect you negatively.

I do not personally cut out ALL of these foods. But by realizing certain foods that have “bad” compounds in them for me, I’ve been able to cut a number of them out and feel better for it.

1 Like

Yes i’m aware about corn oil, but not the corn itself. Entire corn (corn flour) is low in phytoestrogens, really low.
I’m asking this because i’m working on a list of products to avoid, descending by activity.

1 Like

This is what I don’t get. I took SP and Pygeum, both probably not amounting to much more than 400mg of phytosterols, the main culprits thought of inhibiting 5ar and binding to the AR.

How in the hell could this fuck me up so badly, considering the average diet already contains such an amount of phytosterols?

Maybe it’s because of the beta-sitosterol specifically, which might not be that abundant in the average diet I presume. But still. How a lousy plant could have such disastrous effects, it’s almost unbelievable.

Brown rice is a 5ari but white rice is fine, I eat white rice regularly while carb backloading.

So portobellos are safe? Bought some and just want to make sure before eating them.

Yep!

1 Like