Cold sore creams/medication?

Do you guys use medication or creams for your cold sores? Which ones have you tried without making you worse?

I was thinking of getting some Abreva/Erazaban which contains N-docosanol as its main ingredient, but this article states that "In animal studies, N-docosanol has been shown to decrease levels of testosterone, luteinizing hormone, and prolactin." Now I am not sure.

Studies in animals showed docosanol reduced levels of luteinizing hormone and testosterone while raising adrenal steroid secretion of both adrenal androgens and corticosteroids.6,7 Docosanol also significantly lowers serum prolactin levels. This reduction of prolactin is quite significant because prolactin increases both the uptake of testosterone and the synthesis of dihydrotestosterone within the prostate.

Hey this thread caught me off guard.

I have HSV-1 and seem to be having my first cold sore right now.

Is there any link between HSV and PFS? Just surprised me to see this pop up on a forum for PFS.

If I understand correctly, you’re asking to avoid exacerbating the PFS.

Personally I use acyclovir

Yep, it’s about what’s to be avoided. Have you ever felt worse by taking any supplements? If you look at my post history, I’ve hurt myself a few times, including very recently with an NAD+ booster.

Acyclovir huh, it seems like Ozeph has taken it without incident, then again Ozeph also tolerates NAD+ boosters which I can’t. There’s an artlcle about it being a potential alternative to antiandrogenic agents for hair growth which suggests it doesn’t have hormonal effects as I can’t find anything to the contrary. It might be perfectly safe to take but I am quite spooked as you can understand. I might get the cream anyway.

I’m so new to the game I’m not sure about adverse supplement effects.

I just checked my med and it’s actually “Valacyclovir” sorry for the mistype!

PFS lowers immune system so more prone to outbreaks