Clinical Study of PFS Launched at Baylor College of Medicine

This is more good news.

I wonder will Propecia be pulled off the market when the results of these studies are released.

No chance, I think it will continue to be sold until the outcome of the lawsuits.

Yet more coverage of the Baylor PFS clinical study, today in BioNews Texas:

bionews-tx.com/news/2013/08/28/b … cal-study/

Please click on the link and share it as widely as possible. We need to continue showing the media our support.

Full text below.

BioNews Texas
Aug. 28, 2013

Baylor College of Medicine Launches Post-Finasteride Syndrome Clinical Study

The Post-Finasteride Syndrome Foundation (PFS Foundation) will be funding another major clinical study at Baylor College of Medicine (BCM) in Houston, Texas. The title of this study is “Genetic and Epigenetic Studies on Post-Finasteride Syndrome Patients.”

Assistant Professor of Urology Dr. Mohit Khera from the Scott Department of Urology (who is also the Director of the Laboratory for Andrology Research, McNair Medical Institute at BCM) will be leading the second major study on the Post-Finasteride Syndrome. Dr. Khera specializes in andrology, sexual wellness, and male reproductive medicine.

Objectives of the Study:

The primary aim of the study is to determine the pathogenic mechanism behind sexual dysfunction in the patients consuming Finasteride for the treatment of prostate cancer (under the brand name Proscar and generics) or management of hair loss (Propecia and generics).
What is Post-Finasteride Syndrome?

The symptomatology varies from patient to patient and according to the dose ingested; however, most commonly reported symptoms are loss of libido, Peyronie’s disease, impairment of cognitive functions, severely dry skin, penile shrinkage, erectile dysfunction, gynecomastia, muscle atrophy, and depression. In addition, research conducted by scientists at University of Texas Health Science Center also suggested that the risk of high grade cancer also increases in patients consuming Finasteride as compared to the placebo.

All these symptoms significantly affect the quality of life (by affecting sexual life, quality of relationships, and financial issues due to loss of job).

The first funding by the PFS Foundation was initiated on July 1st, 2013 that was mainly focused at studying the primary symptomatology at Brigham and Women’s Hospital (BWH) in Boston. BWH is a reputable institute and affiliated with Harvard Medical School teaching unit. In the first study, scientists primarily identify the molecular patho-physiology of the PFS.

The CEO of the PFS Foundation, Dr. John Santmann expressed his views in these words:

“Coupled with the Brigham and Women’s Hospital study, the Baylor research promises to pave the way for PFS therapies by uncovering the root causes of this condition that is likely affecting thousands of men worldwide.”

Background of the study:

Due to reliable reports and mounting evidence, Merck, the drug manufacturer, was advised by the Food and Drug Administration to revise the labeling on Propecia back in April 11, 2012. This action reflected the significant statistical evidence that consumption of Propecia can lead to persistent sexual dysfunction. FDA reviewed over 421 sexual dysfunction cases associated with the use of Propecia-and identified that almost 14% patients reported sexual dysfunction even after three months of quitting the drug.

It is expected that more promising results will be revealed with the research conducted by Baylor College scientists to understand the effects of Finasteride on the human body.

Has anyone enrolled in the study yet? When should we expect to start hearing about results?

Law firms now starting to pick up the Baylor news:

thesenatorsfirm.com/Law-Blog … gins-.aspx

Haven’t you enrolled? Surely as many men as possible that genuinely have symptoms should take part. Remember, only 71 men took part in Dr Irwig’s study and only 59 men have even reported persistent side effects to the FDA.

I think it might take years before we hear of results. Neurosteroids were first tested in 2010 (or maybe earlier) but results were only posted here in 2013. And of course, if it isn’t an androgen-receptor-epigenetic-thingy then the results will be disappointing.

No, stop spreading lies.

Yes. Please read what’s been written in a thread before posting.

viewtopic.php?f=33&t=8301#p74520
viewtopic.php?f=33&t=8301#p74560

pfsfoundation.org/news/pfs-f … -syndrome/

On April 11, 2012, the FDA ordered drug manufacturer Merck & Co. to revise the labeling on Propecia to reflect mounting evidence that it can cause persistent sexual dysfunction. Of the 421 Propecia-related sexual dysfunction cases reviewed by the FDA in its probe, 14 percent lasted longer than three months after patients quit the drug.

Looks like being unable to fall in love with a woman has made you unable to comprehend. I can’t believe I have to explain this. There is a difference between “only 59 men have even reported persistent side effects to the FDA” and “The FDA Reviewed 59 cases that have lasted longer than 3 months.” There is a difference between “patients reported” and “FDA reviewed”. The FDA does not review all the cases that patients have reported.

Even if for some reason the FDA did say “only 59 men have even reported persistent side effects to the FDA.” It still wouldn’t be true.

"For Proscar, FDA reviewed 131 cases of erectile dysfunction and 68 cases of decreased libido associated with the use of finasteride 5 mg submitted to the drug sponsor’s worldwide safety database between 1992 and 2010. Where information was available, these reported events of erectile dysfunction and decreased libido lasted for at least several weeks after drug discontinuation. "
fda.gov/Drugs/DrugSafety/Inf … 299754.htm

Now, either work on getting a research university to test your Phantom DHT theory or go work on falling in love with a woman because you clearly don’t have anything to offer this community.

SA/Oscar

Please may intervene? I bring peace :slight_smile:

We all have one thing on common don’t forget, we got screwed by Merck. I don’t like to see bickering between members. We need to unite and stand tall in the face of Merck.

Although I do see SA’s point, if quoting factual information, it needs to be accurate.

Now can I hear a fuck you Merck from the both of you?

I assume you have some source for this, otherwise… …its a lie!

Your right that there is a difference between “patients reported” and “FDA reviewed”. But they are not mutually exclusive. Given the FDA’s quote, I think that 59 out of 421 total reports total is the fair and obvious reading. Its likely increased since of course. By comparison the TOTAL number of persistent reports in the UK is only 4.

The only time SA has ever made a factual statement is when he named somebody on this forum, without their permission, because he was jealous of them. Everything I say is accurate, even if you don’t like the fact I’m saying it.

“Reports do not always contain enough detail to properly evaluate an event.”
fda.gov/Drugs/GuidanceCompli … efault.htm

From 11/01/1997 to 12/31/2012, there have been 2,893 FDA AER reports of a serious adverse event where PROPECIA was identified as the primary suspect drug causing that event (3,325 Total Reports).

adverseevents.com/drugdetail.php … =PT&more=3

From 11/01/1997 to 12/31/2012, there have been 1,597 reports of a serious adverse event where PROSCAR was identified as the primary suspect drug causing that event (8,679 Total Reports).

adverseevents.com/drugdetail.php … me=PROSCAR

That website lists each adverse event as a separate report. Its not a separate report per person. I don’t think you read the website correctly.

The most recent figures give 561 reports of Propecia causing ED. An unknown number of which is persistent. This clearly favours 421 being the total reported in the earlier FDA review, so thanks for clearing that up.

And all of this supports my original point. This is a very, very rare side effect.

No, that doesn’t “favour” “421 being the total reported in the earlier FDA review”. The only thing it “favours” is what graph says.

No, no one is saying that PFS/Persistent Finasteride side effects isn’t rare. Your original point/lie was “only 59 men have even reported persistent side effects to the FDA” which is of course, complete bullshit.

"For Proscar, FDA reviewed 131 cases of erectile dysfunction and 68 cases of decreased libido associated with the use of finasteride 5 mg submitted to the drug sponsor’s worldwide safety database between 1992 and 2010. Where information was available, these reported events of erectile dysfunction and decreased libido lasted for at least several weeks after drug discontinuation. " fda.gov/Drugs/DrugSafety/Inf … 299754.htm

I have no idea why you are so obsessed with trying to win an arguement over the Internet rather than trying to improve your quality of life. This forum isn’t 4chan or cracked.com so stop acting like it is. People’s health, including yours, depends on what gets accomplished here. You should stop posting here if you ever want to fall in love with a woman again.

I wonder how rare it really is. With such mounting interest in our condition it wouldnt suprise me if almost everyone is getting some sort of affect from Finasteride. Maybe slight loss of libido, loss of nightime/AM erections etc to the obvious severe. I thnk I mentioned to you a friend of mine who took it several years back and now 4 years latter he is sluggish and not feeling right, he checked his Testosterone and it was bottom percent like many of us, he also says in the last year he has concentration probelms and some stuttering. Crazy stuff. Another report of someone stoping who was perfectly fine after stopping, except he never realized he lost AM and nightime erections while on Fin. Then there are many men still taking the drug (remember its intended to be taken for a long time) who have zero clue what potentially may happen to them like it happened to me.

What graph are you talking about now SA? If there are 561 total reported cases by 2012 it clearly favours the 421 figure being the total number a year earlier in 2011, used in the FDA report. Are you seriously confused by this?

And actually, a lot of people on this forum have stated this isn’t a rare side effect (see above). You have said the same before. But if we can appreciate just how very rare, this will help find answers in the future rather than pretend otherwise. Remember, I told you to read the thread FIRST (even provided links for you in case you misunderstood) to see that’s the point I am making, that ‘59’ is the latest/only figure on persistent sides. Are you seriously confused by this?

SA, I have never used an internet forum before this one. All I know is your some strange person who keeps on trying to get one over on me/be rude about my symptoms - but you just keep on getting owned, over and over.

I’d say anywhere between 1 and 3 years.

1. According to Awor’s posts, preliminary tests have already identified a problem in this area.
  2. If it’s not the root cause, then at least we will know for sure.
  3. Continuing to support the Foundation will allow for further studies, and more answers.

Instead of trying to “own” someone on an Internet forum, use this site as a tool to network with people who share the same goal, like others here have done.

Anybody enroled this research? When it will be launching?

I just wished there were studies taking place in the UK or at least a way in which my own Doctor could perform the same research and have it submitted to the studies in the US via electronic communications.

I would be the ideal candidate for any PFS related study!!!