Bupropion for motivation

Do you know if your t level got back to where it was before taking bupropion?

I’ve been taking Wellbutrin XL 150mg for almost a year. It does help with depression/motivation and the debilitation-level of fatigue, but it’s far from a miracle drug.

When my T was high (on TRT), it was a lot more helpful. It increased libido and erection frequency. But now that I’m off TRT (TTC) and my T is much lower, it has the exact opposite effect. That is not coincidence or placebo effect. Just prior to stopping TRT late last year, my libido and EQ was the best it’s ever been since PFS, followed by the worst it’s ever been. Only change was coming off TRT and my T levels dropping.

So that is something to be aware of - your T levels can determine its effectiveness in the sexual arena. I say “can” because if you have true ED, then it probably won’t help you either way.

Sides also include increased anxiety (worse when T is low), slight tinnitus, and minor effects on coordination (hand writing).

And I have a similar experience with it losing some effectiveness over time. I’m going to give it a 2-month (hopefully permanent) vacation during my upcoming Proviron run.

3 Likes

I took Wellbutrin daily because I was suffering from depression (before PFS)… Wellbutrin can actually cause trouble sleeping, unless taken in the morning. So it wouldn’t be the first thing I’d recommend to PFS sufferers who suffer from insomnia. It (temporarily) worsens tinnitus and can create emotional bluntedness. It did lighten my deepest depressive episodes.

I have become a bit scared of pharmaceuticals in general after taking Finasteride, but if Wellbutrin actually alleviates sexual symptoms I may try getting back onto it eventually.

1 Like

Curious if you’re still using Wellbutrin. At times, the pfs induced depression I have gets debilitating, and I need a way out. Would you recommend it?

i using bupropion for 1,5 months. it help my depression

2 Likes

Why did you choose bupropion? At what dose? 150 or 300?
The only single doctor i visited that knows about pfs said that bupropion used to be quite useful for her patients.

You guys do know that there are cases of PSSD coming from Wellbutrin, right?

Honestly, the best way to fight depression is to make some positive changes in your life step by step. I would not recommend anyone to take any pharmaceutical to fight depression, they are all potentially harmful.

I was on Wellbutrin for a while, it gave me tinnitus, emotional bluntedness/apathy, trouble sleeping, and made my appetite for food even less than it already was. It may cause other adverse side effects that I did not experience. It did help with alleviating my worst depressive episodes though, I must admit. However, in retrospect I really don’t think I absolutely needed Wellbutrin to get through that period, had I known some more of the therapy lessons earlier on.

If you’re decided on taking an anti-depressant, I do think Wellbutrin is a better option than any SSRI at least. I would never recommend those to anyone given the amount of horror stories I hear about those.

If you’re interested in ways to fight your depression without any potentially dangerous pharmaceutical I recommend at least reading my positivity thread. It may be a bit overwhelming but my biggest victories against depression have always been whenever I took a tiny step to change something in my life.

3 Likes

Hallo Tonster, das Zyban ist mit einer Schicht überzogen, da es retardiert freigesetzt wird. Ich habe aber diesbezüglich keine Probleme festgestellt. Zwischenzeitlich habe ich auch mal täglich eine halbe Mysimba eingenommen, da dort zusätzlich zum Bupropion noch Naloxon enthalten ist, daß im low-dose Bereich ebenfalls die Libido steigern soll. Eine ganze Tablette Mysimba enthält 90 mg Bupropion und 8 mg Naloxon. Ich habe auch mit Mysimba sehr gute Erfahrungen gemacht.

Hallo Tomas, did you try Zyban?

Hallo Wintermoon, die von dir beschriebenen Nebenwirkungen wie Schlafstörungen und Appetitminderung sind durch die amphetaminartige Struktur des Bupropions bedingt. Auch ich habe eine leichte Appetitminderung und geringfügige Schlafstörungen bemerkt. Aber die positiven Effekte des Bupropions haben diese Nachteile bei weitem aufgewogen. Ich kann nur jedem empfehlen es zumindest mal mit Bupropion zu versuchen.

Forgive me I will respond in English… Ich kann dich verstehen aber mein eigenes Deutsch ist nicht so stark.

I can understand a lot of people will happily accept the side effects I mentioned if it helps them fight their depression.

Like I said before I would still recommend Bupropion over any other antidepressant but I would still regard it as a short-term solution, if possible. Because I ultimately feel that chemicals will only get you so far, and people need to make positive changes in their lives to create a better baseline so they are no longer dependent on pharmaceutical help.

Did Bupropion help me back then when I took for several months at an ever increasing dose? Yes. (I started out with 150mg, then 300mg, then 450mg, then 600mg, but went back to 300 and then tapered off over a couple weeks time). I’m not sure how normal these dosages are, since it was also supposed to help me with my ADHD (it did off and on improve my ability to focus).

However I am very wary of recommending pharmaceuticals to anyone because first of all I am not authorized to do so and second of all because I think it’s usually a quick-and-dirty solution to a problem that deserves more extensive attention. Another thing is that Bupropion needs to build up and taper off over time. It’s not a instant-result pill and you can’t just quit it cold turkey without consulting your psychiatrist.

3 Likes

Danke für deine schnelle Antwort. Ich würde dir gerne auf deutsch schreiben, da ich mich so besser ausdrücken kann. Ich bin auch kein Freund von Medikamenten. Mein Ziel war und ist nach wie vor, eine dauerhafte Lösung ohne eine pharmakologische Krücke einsetzen zu müssen. Jahrelang habe ich versucht mit natürlichen Mitteln, das PFS zu bekämpfen. Zur Zeit mache ich seit 18 Tagen eine Pause mit Zyban. Meine Hoffnung ist, dass ich zumindest auf einem höheren Niveau bleibe, als zu Beginn der Einnahme des Zybans. Zur Zeit bin ich mit meiner Libido durchaus zufrieden. Sollte ich auf diesem Level bleiben ohne das Zyban wieder ansetzen zu müssen, hätte sich die zeitlich befristete Gabe von Zyban durchaus gelohnt. Nichtsdestotrotz bleibt eine wichtige Stütze bei diesem Syndrom eine entsprechende Lebensführung mit ausreichend Schlaf, Stressreduktion und einem Sport, der in der Lage ist die körpereigene Testosteronproduktion auf einem höherem Level zu halten. Dazu bieten sich Schnellkraftsportarten wie Sprinten und olympisches Gewichtheben an. Für weitere Informationen zu meinen Erfahrungen, kannst du dir meine Beiträge im deutschen Forum von Propeciahelp angucken. Ich halte dich auf jeden Fall auf dem Laufenden.

Danke.

I hope for you as well that the improvements you got after taking Zyban are here to stay and thanks for keeping us updated.

How much did it improve your libido? Can you describe in more detail or give a percentage?

For me it’s very interesting to hear the experiences of someone who has used Bupropion after PFS, since I have only taken it before PFS.

1 Like

Guten Abend Wintermond, :wink:
also wenn ich die Libido auf einer Skala von 0 (sehr schwach) bis 10 (sehr stark) quantifizieren müsste, würde ich sagen dass meine Libido im Alter von etwa 25 Jahren am stärksten war. Die Libido während und nach Finasterid bewegt sich so bei etwa 2. Als ich vor einem Jahr mit Zyban begonnen habe, stieg die Libido auf etwa 8 an. Man darf natürlich nicht vergessen, dass ich jetzt 46 Jahre alt bin und die Libido naturgemäß ab dem 30. Lebensjahr langsam aber kontinuierlich nachlässt. Ich bin jetzt aktuell seit 2 Wochen ohne Zyban und meine Libido liegt bei etwa 5. Sollte es auf diesem Niveau bleiben, wäre das durchaus als Teilerfolg zu werten.
Wie lange hast du Propecia eingenommen? Sind deine Beschwerden hauptsächlich auf die Libido begrenzt?

I hear you were doing very good thanks to the Bupropion medication, how are you now? Was it possible to maintain the 5/10 libido/erection quality? Very curious because there are so few options available to treat PFS, and this one seems to come very very close to solving the mental part of the equation. At least from the looks of it. Glad your having such great success man! Let me know if you read this how you’ve been doing!

2 Likes

Hi man, could you speak more about what bupropion did for you concerning the mental part of the equation?

Second this.

Closing this topic to reflect the new rules about self-reporting therapies. Read more here - Changes to propeciahelp towards a more effective patient advocacy: Please read this important post about changes to our terms of service