Body hair growth, hair loss post-fin, reflex-hyperandrogenicity?

I was 17 when I took a single pill of fin in mid-May. In April my testosterone was already high at 24nmol, then in July it was 39nmol. My left testicle (not sure about right one) hurt for 5 days after stopping, meaning that they overproduced testosterone to compensate. I went from basically hairless 4 months ago to very hairy, even as an Asian compared to white boys my age. I now have hair on my back, my entire abdomen, even on the sides, my hands and arms, and the little body hair I had before turned darker, denser and longer.

I took fin to alleviate what I thought was MPB but which I realized was simply a maturing hairline on a high forehead. Now my hair loss is still progressing at a quick rate, quicker than whatever hair loss I might’ve had before.

Hi @papajohns,

I’m so sorry to hear you’re also affected by brief exposure and at such a young age. It’s an outrage that young men are exposed to this without consenting to the full risks.

This is a common experience over the many years of this forum. Research has shown a significant and ostensibly permanent upregulation of the androgen receptor (the gene product responsible for vast transactivation in response to activation by androgen) in symptomatic tissue of severe PFS patients. A tissue specific increase in androgen signaling therefore is highly likely to be implicated in this increase in androgen mediated hair growth and alopecia. I also had a significant acceleration of mpb. Recently, a study robustly illustrated that finasteride use and withdrawal hugely accelerates male pattern hair loss in aga patients, which is of significant interest in my view.

It would be extremely helpful, if you are still suffering symptoms after a minimum of three months following cessation, you could contribute to our survey to record your situation in standardised data. It can be accessed on a desktop or laptop computer by clicking the bar graph in the top right of the forum.

Best
Axo

Anywhere I can read more about this? How common is this, what are the mechanisms, etc…? Are there any other active users on the forum who experienced this? Am I among those severe patients? What can I do about this?
How much can a single dose upregulate receptors? So many questions…

What ever you do Do Not touch the drug again I had the same shit happen and then waited awhile and tried brand name…Now 4 years later that will seem like Paradise compared to what can happen the second time…

Did the same thing happen to you like in my post?

So would this apply to a one-time user as well?

Mind also linking the study? Is it temporary, how bad is it etc?

Severity in any aspect of this disease is absolutely not positively correlated with usage. It seems to be the person’s as yet unknown predisposition.

You can look on the PFS foundation website for published scientific research. I wouldn’t worry about those kind of questions now. Please focus on looking after yourself and participation in the important projects we have going. Very easy to do and will make a difference.

1 Like

I can’t find any studies about this or “reflex-hyperandrogenicity” in the slightest on the PFS foundation website. I would really appreciate it if you could just link the studies.

That aside, would I be more susceptible to this if I was 1) a 17 years and 2 months old teenager, 2) never had MPB at all, 3) and had low DHT levels/high testosterone?