Bizarre hair growth

Hey, guys.

I’m trying to better understand how my body responds to androgen levels. I’ve looked around, but it seems no one has what I have.

Pre-fin:

• Hair thinning slowly
  • Most notably thinning on left corner
  • Get scalp itch

After 1-3 days of fin:

• Scalp itches even more
  • Hair sheds 10X as much
  • This shedding lasts for months
  • More body hair / thicker body hair

After 8+ months after stopping fin:

• Shedding stops
  • Hair regrows. Looks even fuller than pre-fin
  • No more scalp itch.

Why in the world would lowering DHT/androgens cause my scalp to itch and hair to shed? Why would my scalp hair grow thicker after 8+ months after stopping fin?

If anyone has any theories, I’m all ears. Is it possible that finasteride permanently altered the androgen receptors in my hair follicles? If that is the only lingering symptom of PFS and I no longer have hairloss, I wouldn’t mind. lol. I think I at least deserve that after a year of hell.

Finasteride= + Testosterone + estrogen -DHT

You hair loss could be sensible to Testosterone

Isn’t DHT just a stronger form of testosterone?

Maybe u got that reflux hypersensitivity for androgens for few days and then ur receptors got severely overexpressed !!

My scalp hair is thicker than ever. My public hair and armpits are all gone. Body hair is going, i feel like a small boy. In my case testosterone ain’t enough to cause hairfall, i need dht.

How are ur muscles? Do u respond to exogenous androgens like Proviron and TRT?

This happened to me when I quit finasteride too. It got less severe as time went by. The itchy scalp thing I got, also the hair growth and thinner hair around my scalp.

Yes, I would say it permanently did something to the receptors

My muscles are regrowing, although very slowly, but they’re definitely growing back.

I have not taken androgens, as I don’t want to risk further damage. Trying to let time do its thing.

It’s so bizarre how lowering DHT levels causes hair loss for us.

Skeletal muscles aren’t affected by DHT. They’re mainly testosterone driven. I always had no trouble gaining muscles but have minimal body hair, which is governed by DHT. This makes me believe I come from +Testosterone +E2 -DHT background.

Wish I could have my hair fullness back though :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

1 Like