Biologist Alex Miller - Why We Have PFS and How To Treat It

Alex Miller wrote a theory in 2009 about why we have PFS, it is believed that he too has PFS. The one thing that stood out to me was how afraid people were of his ideas and the responses he received seemed emotional and irrational. Alex presented the idea of allopregnanolone deficiency and how this is directly linked to PFS. In June 2013 Dr Irwing concluded that “Finasteride use leads to decreased concentrations of important hormones in the brain called neurosteroids" smhs.gwu.edu/news/gw-researcher- … opecia-and

Allopregnanolone is a neurosteriod, it possesses a wide variety of effects, including, in no particular order, antidepressant, anxiolytic, stress-reducing, rewarding,[16] prosocial,[17] antiaggressive,[18] prosexual,[17] sedative, pro-sleep,[19] cognitive and memory-impairing, analgesic,[20] anesthetic, anticonvulsant, neuroprotective, and neurogenic effects see (en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Allopregnanolone)
Alex highlighted the neurosteriod’s importance as a neuroprotective (en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neuroprotective) and in particular it’s role in myelination and the central nervous system.

Definition: Myelination is the process by which a fatty layer, called myelin, accumulates around nerve cells (neurons). Myelin particularly forms around the long shaft, or axon, of neurons. Myelination enables nerve cells to transmit information faster and allows for more complex brain processes. Thus, the process is vitally important to healthy central nervous system functioning.
tweenparenting.about.com/od/phys … nation.htm

“There is a solid and growing body of basic science evidence that finasteride reduces the concentrations of several neuroactive steroids that play a role in neurogenesis and neuronal survival.”
onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1 … x/abstract

Alex states that PFS is an autoimmune disease which is probably why his ideas caused such responses. Autoimmune diseases are hard to treat and Multiple Sclerosis is one of the most difficult. It is the protection of the mylein sheath that has lead me towards the importance of Lions Mane Mushrooms as part of a post-propecia regime viewtopic.php?f=6&t=9348&p=85387#p85387 the last thing anyone here wants is to put themselves at risk MS.

Within the 34 page document (below) there is a clinical method of getting diagnosis of myelination in the spine and how to treat this area using magnesium sulphate injections. I wanted to add that magnesium sulphate can be absorbed by the body through bathing in Epsom Salts and magnesium creams at iherb (iherb.com/Kirkman-Labs-Magne … 13-g/38169). I couldn’t say whether trans-dermal methods are as effective as the injection in treating spinal injuries, the studies have been with rats.

Allopregnanolone is synthesized from progesterone which some here have been using to treat their PFS. It seems more than coincidence that progesterone is helping to alleviate symptoms of PFS, you can read about the success stories here at viewtopic.php?f=1&t=7026

Depression, anxiety, and sexual dysfunction are frequently-seen side effects of 5α-reductase inhibitors such as finasteride, and are thought to be caused, in part, by interfering with the normal production of allopregnanolone. ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21122055

5 years ago Alex Miller heavily discussed the reduction of neurosteriods by finasteride and interestingly the medical studies coming forward are leaning towards neurosteriods as a key area for further study.
The doctors listed on this site viewforum.php?f=12 mostly appear to deal with hormones, however none of them have been able to successfully treat PFS. Could it be that men are seeing the wrong type of doctor and should be seeing a neurologist because PFS is a neurological problem?

It took me a while to discover Alex’s theory so I’ve put it into a word document for others to gain easy access.

I hope this post helps in someway.
Alex Miller - Propecia.doc (246 KB)

1 Like

I am reading this while dealing with some brain fog, I’ll probably re-read it in the next hours, but does anyone know if this theory has any similarities with the Brigham and Women study or with Melcangi’s studies?

Could this be why baking soda improved my condition more than all this other fancy shit combined?

Has Mr Miller done any further work on this theory in the last ten years?

Possible theory. Allopregnanolone is also being developed for the treatment of MS as MS patients have low allopregnanolone. I don’t think we have demyelination as that would have been detected by now on MRIs. But we may very well have a component of autoimmunity which is why PFS is so hard to treat. I think the people who have “PFS” and recover within 1-2 years really just have a hormonal imbalance, not that have it for years have developed an autoimmunity that prevents the normalization for neurosteroid production and function. Like a positive feedback look that has been broken. I’m really curious to see how people respond to zulresso which blocks inflammation.

did baking soda helped you with your mental sides ? how much do you take every day ? pls help ! dont want to live like that any longer