BBC news story on isotretinoin: NHS 'should not prescribe acne drug'

“The parents of young people who have killed themselves and patients unable to have sex are calling for the NHS to stop prescribing acne drug Roaccutane.”

Currently the top read story on the BBC. Great to see.

If you are persistently affected by accutane (isotretinoin), please sign up and participate in our survey:

9 Likes

Hell yeah! Ed is my buddy. The first guy in the first link. Keep it going, this poison should banned forever for the sake of humanity.

7 Likes

Hey @cooper, it’d be really great to pass on our thanks for speaking out and if possible ask Ed to sign up to participate in the survey. If he doesn’t want to participate in the forum otherwise he can share in the FAQ topic he’s here for the survey and I’ll have the system invite him. What we have is already representing important observations in data that have so far been unpresentable and scattered across unstandardised anecdotal reports. However, we really need more patients affected by accutane taking part, so if you could provide him that second link in my post above it’d be appreciated.

4 Likes

I sent this message to him now.

3 Likes

thanks sir.

But Roche said while Roaccutane had side-effects - “like most medications… millions of patients worldwide have benefited from taking the drug”.

It added: "Isotretinoin was a prescription-only medicine and therefore can only be safely used under the care and supervision of suitably qualified healthcare professionals.

The idea that the context in which a treatment is being provided and/or the monitoring of patients via routine labwork can somehow prevent, or mitigate, side effects is just so false. Yet repeated ad nauseam by Roche.

The safety of drugs is governed by the MHRA, and the NHS drug approval body NICE follows its advice.

NICE is planning to publish guidance on all acne treatments by 2021 and said it always considered the safety of drugs in its guidelines.

The anti-(Ro)Accutane parents’ group has been strongly advocating for stricter and more comprehensive guidelines by registering as stakeholders through NICE. They suggested for more PAS patients to become their own advocates by doing the same. I will post a topic on how to register as a NICE stakeholder in the coming week for any PAS patient who is interested in influencing the upcoming determination.

1 Like

It is a flat-out lie intended to manipulate the public and they know it. So depraved and reprehensible!

1 Like

True that it’s a lie. Often told along with the egregious lie that depression resulting from acne leads to suicides, not Accutane. Now the same lie is being told about baldness and PFS suicides. This must be in the playbook.

Roche, Merck, and the evil spirit of dermatology appear to have no shame when they completely ignore the evidence left behind in the form of suicide notes explicitly pinning the blame on prescription drugs.

What is most disturbing is viewing pictures of these victims who have clear skin or a full head of hair, implying their respective treatment worked. And still, … it must have been the condition being treated, not the treatment. Yeah, right!

Amazing, I had a friend menion this story coming up seemingly randomly in their news feed, but might have been because they read lots of Accutane-related stuff.

1 Like