Baylor study questions

What’s actually counterproductive is sitting and waiting for Baylor when there is enough potential and pent-up demand for action to initiate another study.

2 Likes

And yet Melcangi measured gene expression of a gene in PFS people just this year…

1 Like

What kind of evidence do you think will suffice? I am just curious. A video of Merck influencing Khera?

I did give a good lead for potential evidence - the funding Khera’s research program AND the university might have received from Merck. If you show me that both of these were 0 dollars since 2013, I will officially retract my “conspiracy theory”.

Let’s try to find Baylor’s sources of funding. We are all good researchers here.

2 Likes

Melcangi conducted a very different study. He looked at a single gene rather than the hundreds or thousands that are being investigated for the Khera study.

In any case, I am not waiting for Khera’s study or anybody else’s. I’m just contributing where I can and don’t criticize other efforts unless my criticism is useful for whatever reason. I don’t really have much else to say about this.

1 Like

Yes, and that’s what I think we should do more of - measure expression of key genes such as 5ar. Maybe I shouldn’t have said “recreate” (the most important part of) Baylor then. Even better!

I happen to believe criticizing Baylor is extremely useful - the single most useful thing we can talk about. First, because knowing the truth is important, and I have said nothing but the truth about Baylor. Second, because I think sitting and waiting for Baylor (and not initiating other studies) is detrimental for us. Third, because we need to understand what actually happened at Baylor and not fool ourselves so we don’t repeat this mistake going forward.

Also I don’t see how any rational person would not criticize Baylor in the context of what is happening in our community. Do you have any idea how many innocent young men have died in 9 years - are dying every day! - while Dr. Khera is very busy with other things because he owes us nothing even though he received a huge grant, the Foundation’s last remaining money?

I have said in the past that Khera is the only person with the fire hose in front of a burning building with people dying inside literary every day and he is doing nothing. That is not an inappropriate metaphor. The foundation gave its last money for Baylor, as far as I know, so there is no money for another fire hose. That’s a big moral responsibility on the person who holds the only fire hose. So yes, he does owe us something for having accepted the grant.

Further, Baylor has been touted as a cornerstone study that is going to determine the direction of future research. It is not just one of many studies that can run in parallel. There has absolutely been a lot of waiting for and relying on Baylor - for many years - before other studies can be planned and set in motion. That makes the moral responsibility on Khera even higher.

Finally, as I have said before, Khera’s potential findings are already moot via-a-vis Merck’s interest in finasteride, in my opinion. Class action law suits have passed, patents have passed, statute of limitations since insert change have passed… Merck doesn’t care any more. Khera can publish anything now. Although no doubt he won’t be in a huge rush. I don’t think the substantive part of the study is completed as you said.

8 Likes

Oh, look. Turns out I am not a dissident; I am a copy-cat!

1 Like

Well we do agree that it makes sense to move on, if not much else. You omitted the part of Awor’s post that said the person most close in contact with Khera believes he is on our side and there are other issues getting in the way, including the complexity of the analysis. Khera did after all publish an literature review supportive of PFS earlier this year.

It isn’t helpful to anybody on here to complain although I understand the frustration. Take that frustrated energy and find a way to channel it into other that’s that are productive. If you think a gene expression analysis is very important, go raise funds and get that organized. If you don’t have the means to do that yourself, then contribute in other ways that you can.

3 Likes

If Baylor is dead I wish they would tell us so we can move on.

1 Like

I think the patients charged $2000 dollars for the study and the foundation should be given their money back so we can have a study with people who actually are willing to give information.

1 Like

Two of them are now dead. This is significant and should not be forgotten. These people put not just their money but their last hopes in this study.

6 Likes

I agree with Sebileo completely…I think something here to guys is this is forefront of technology…It is quite possible that the tools and technology are not there yet to see it…With Such a small sample size and its beginning to look as if the resources and technology does not exist yet to solve it…

1 Like

no one is sitting around

there are plans to :

1. get funding so that we can
  2. conduct studies on other angles in PFS

you just dont like it because those other “angles” dont happen to be the ones that you agree with

No one will tell you, please stop giving me money :wink:

The technology might not even exist to study this. It’s likely biochemical and at a receptor level. Not easy to study.
And how long do you think all this will take anyway?

the people who’ve made the decisions to look in that area, have consulted with scientists before making the choice.

im deciding to trust them. as for “how long” – not a question for me

How much does it cost to fund such a study?

So, is Baylor study definitely stopped? If not, would the PFS will know and published if the study is stopped?

1 Like

Cuando se publica el estudio???

Nadie sabe. El estudio empezo hace seis anos, y desde entonces no lo han publicado. Supuestamente, el estudio ya esta terminado y lo entregaron para que se publique, pero nadie sabe la verdad entera.

Mohit khera told me today that it’s been accepted for publication and will be out within 2 weeks.

2 Likes