Are there some who can quit fin and just be okay?

Hi guys ,
I’m new here and also fairly new to the PFS situation.
The first up thing I noticed is that older people taking the 5mg Proscar for Prostate health don’t get affected by this syndrome. From what I see it is generally 40 and under.
What do you think the percentage of young men who quit finasteride who then get PFS is? Can some young men just quit and be ok even after years of taking it? Or do you think every young man gets some symptoms of this syndrome even slightly?

Your assumption is flawed. I’m 64 and have PFS after 3 months of taking 5mg Proscar. Still working on the energy to write a member story.

7 Likes

If majority of men coming off propecia got PFS theres no way this drug would still be on the market. Surely the amount of people who get PFS would be less than 1% otherwise our condition would have far greater recognition in the medical field given that this drug is taken by millions world wide.

1 Like

As PFS is so variable I am of the opinion that the absolute mildest cases may be living life without a clue or if they do notice a mild symptom then don’t consider it as cause for concern.

We have someone here whose PFS consisted of some digestive problems but who was living a normal life. Their symptoms were dramatically worsened after a second dose of Finasteride.

It’s one of the reasons that mild cases should absolutely still concern themselves with advancing the research and taking part in projects. If not for the community then selfishly do it for yourself - you may find that you trigger worse symptoms later. Presumably, everyone here has the potential to add to and or worsen their symptoms.

I don’t think there’s any need for further hypothesising but given that we see people arriving here with symptoms triggered by prescription drugs, over the counter supplements and lifestyle choices, I think it’s quite possible that a person can find themselves “primed” and then triggered by one of the above, which may seem innocuous in isolation, or even not associate a symptom/symptoms with anything but stress or tiredness or whatever else modern life throws at people, until their systems are seriously disrupted.

1 Like

That’s exactly what I was thinking

I agree with that totally

Ok , I’m still all new to this so forgive me if something I say isn’t quite correct - it’s nothing personal mate . The age thing was just something I have observed among users of finasteride and subsequent PFS suffered , I’m sorry for you and anyone that has this horrific syndrome

Definitely plenty of older men who have this condition. Most doctors who have these older patients on Fin for BPH will tell them there loss of libido and fatigue/memory issues is due to age, when in fact the drug is what is causing the problems. There is definitely older men on this forum but I’m sure the rest of them might not even know how to find these forums let alone know a condition of this caliber exists.

2 Likes

No need to apologize brother, I just wanted you to know we’re here.

I wonder if any statistics are available that would show that generally, younger men are here because of Propecia, and older men because of Proscar.

If Propecia is usually prescribed in a 1 mg dose and Proscar is 5mg, does the latter result in a worse outcome of PFS?

Also I think the following poster was spot-on about his belief that doctors dismiss the concerns of older sufferers.

2 Likes

I think older members are in a difficult situation because doctors can more easily dismiss their claims. “You are an older man - E.D. is routine in your age group.”
Regardless of age, we all need to work together to support the work of this site and fund research.

2 Likes