Are Hair Systems safe?

I know this might sound like a silly question at first, since it’s not a substance, but after getting numb from Minoxidil last year (even though i had used it a few years ago without any problems) i’ve become very cautious towards anything that i apply to my skin.

Hair systems are seemlingly safe since they’re not medical treatments and i’ve even seen them being recomended here on the forums, but for those that don’t know, they’re attached to your head using Glue. From what i’ve read it can be either tape or a liquid adhesive. And since they (ideally) stay on your head for several days, through heat, cold, sun, exercise and sweat, it seems to me that surely there will be some absorption by the skin, of whatever substances are present there.

So, does anyone here use them? Or ever had any problems? What type of tape/adhesive did you use?
Obviously, even if you don’t know about hair systems specifically, feel free to comment if you have some chemical knowledge regarding these so called “skin-safe” glues.

I used one in the early 90s attached by glue which irritated my scalp and was high maintenance. I finally switched to tape, just a double sided clear tape. And I’d take the thing off to shower and to dye it which was a gigantic pain in the ass. The day I finally got rid of it was a great day indeed. Sometimes I’d have nightmares where I was still wearing it and I’d wake up relieved it was gone.

2 Likes