Are Beta Blockers Safe for us?

Hello everyone

Things are generally doing well in my recovery at the moment. Not fully recovered, but doing better. I updated my story a few weeks ago if you want to read. The last couple of weeks have been particularly good for me.

I have a new cardiologist and he wants me to be on a low dose of beta blockers. As I understand, these can block some adrenaline receptors and can reduce the strength of the heart beat and lower blood pressure. My cardiologist told me that there is some possibility of sexual side effects for older men (I’m 37), but it doesn’t sound like it’s hormonal at all. My cousin was on beta blockers before and he told me he felt minimal sides. But maybe some people say they don’t get as excited as before because their adrenaline is lower.

I’m really wary of taking any kind of meds. A year ago I was strongly considering taking SSRI meds but decided against it as I don’t want anything that could harm my possible recovery.

I know you all aren’t doctors, but do you have any thoughts as to whether beta blockers are safe for our recoveries?

Thanks for the help

1 Like

I’ve sent you a PM :slight_smile:

My Dr has recommended bisoprolol (Cardicor, Emcor). I read that atenolol (Tenor-min) has the least side effects.
Please let us know what you decide I’m facing the same dilemma and unsure.
There’s also calcium blockers for heart. I think They lower testosterone instead of 5ar.

I think I will most likely take them, but I can say that I feel uncomfortable about it.

I have been prescribed metoprolol. I read that it is a selective Beta-1 beta blocker and that its effects are targeted for the heart. I guess that makes me feel a little better. The doc is also putting me on the lowest dosage.

I guess, there is no logical reason to be afraid of it as

1. I cannot find anything saying it gives anyone sexual side effects
  2. I see no stories about any side effects being irreversible (for SSRIs, Accutane, and obviously hairloss drugs, those stories are now out there to find)
  3. The mechanism of action seems to be targeted to the heart and towards adrenaline, I don’t see anything implying testosterone of any kind, genitals, or brain will be affected.

However, while I know this, I feel all meds now are in a category of suspicion to me, unless it is like cough medicine.

Would love to know if anyone else has any thoughts on this. In my search through the forum about beta blockers, I never saw anyone cast suspicion on it, and it sounded like some were taking it to deal with side effects like palpitations. Hoping anyone can talk about taking them since PFS and what if any effect they had on anything.

I read a study of 4 BBs and atenolol had least side effects. bisoprolol will help to control the cortisol response. I found that 40mg propranolol had no issues but 10mg raised libido.

I’d say no- just cause I believe spironolactone is a beta blocker, and i got terrible sides from it. I also was talking with my friends dad at a barbecue a couple weeks ago on saturday sharing a story with us about how beta blockers gave him some poor side effects.

I’m also not a scientist and could be wrong, but I do do a lot of reading.

Wow, that’s scary. I’ll google, but if you have links to any of those studies, please share.

Ok, i can’t find any evidence that spironolactone is a beta blocker. What i’m finding is it says it’s an anti-androgen and potassium sparing diuretic. Another lists it as an aldosterone receptor antagonist.

Also, are the effects of spironolactone irreversible? I remember using it as a topical in my “caring about hairloss days.”

1 Like

ac3c,

I wanted to find out more about what you know about beta blockers. I found a study that compared 4 Beta Blockers: atenolol, metoprolol, propanolol, and pindolol. They said that atenolol does not cross the blood/brain barrier, as it is hydrophilic (water loving). Metoprolol crosses it moderately, and the other two easily cross it. This study was saying that the side effects can be nightmares, hallucinations, and possibly memory loss, but all are incredibly rare.

From your writing, it sounds like you were saying that beta blockers work on 5ar. I cannot find anything about that. I will never take any med that is a 5 ar inhibitor again, so I hope to find out exactly what you found.

Beta-blocker effects on sexual function in normal males.

Three types of blood-pressure medications — diuretics (or “water pills”), beta-blockers and alpha-blockers — have been found to have the highest incidence of sexual side effects. Some diuretics, for example, not only interfere with blood flow to the sex organs but increase the body’s excretion of zinc, which is needed to produce testosterone. And beta-blockers can sabotage a satisfying sex life at least three ways — by making you feel sedated and depressed, by interfering with nerve impulses associated with arousal and by reducing testosterone levels.

thanks for the link

Was there anything that made you specifically feel beta blockers work specifically on 5 ar?

I’ve amended my comment on 5ar so not to confuse anyone. I can’t find anything on it either.

Yeh you’re right i mixed it up. My mistake.

I take a betablocker but have to tweak the dose so I don’t take too much–if I take too much I get sleepy and my limited erectile function goes down to 0.

The one I take is bystolic, which is better than the ones I have been on in the past in terms of side effects (atenolol, metaprolol, bisoprolol).

Thanks for the response, Crossroads

Once I voiced my concern about the side effects, my cardiologist said I actually don’t need to concern myself with taking them at this point

So I can kick the can down the road and think about it in the future

1 Like

@nate99 Are you still good?

Depends on when you ask. Some days like in the last week, I wonder if recovery could happen soon. And some days like from November to January, I feel recovery is so far away and I get freaked out that this could be as good as I ever feel. Just depends I guess.

I have been prescribed metoprolol for several years, long before finasteride ruined my life.

I have never had a problem with it. In fact my dosage was increased recently in an effort to get my blood pressure reduced. My BP had increased nearly 40 points after my crash.

Hope this is helpful. Jim

Yes, thanks Jim

I’ve taken propranolol for public speaking and I don’t notice any lingering side effects